Kind Of A Damning Review Of Emanuel Hall

soulman

Ridley runs better routes for certain.  But Ridley isn't getting faster and Hall can get better at running routes.  

That being said a 4th round pick gets at least 3 years.  An UDFA gets little rope.  

I think Hall still has a shot since he brings a dimension Bears have very little of at WR position.  Still I would hate to see Wims go if they made that decision   

I know Bears went BPA with Ridley, but really looking like a luxory pick at this time with the WR depth.  I guess it will help make roster cheaper down line if he can play.

What was Hall's injury?  

Really running better routes is mostly just get off, arms, head and hips at stem.  Changing speed, just like pitching, can be huge too for separation.  Talented guys can get your timing, but if you slow down and then accelerate combined with a head nod you can often leave them or even make them fall,  But you cant do that if its a timing route. 

Most college guys don't know how to get off press, don't know how to break quickly from full go, neglect their head and eyes and don't drum their arms tight.  They get them too wide.

Again it amazes me the poor fundamentals coming out of big time college football. You dont see it at Alabama or Georgia, but so many other schools. 

Fundamental drills can fix all that for anyone with a brain.  You just have to swallow pride and do basics again and again and again.  You have to do the tedious. 

My pure intuition says that if Hall can show some progress in camp and preseason and can respond to coaching they'll put him on the roster rather than chance losing him trying to get him to the PS.  I would agree with you in that you can't coach speed but you can everything else he needs to improve even though it may take awhile to do it.

IMHO we have no obvious need for a FB so if all we keep is our four top RBs that would open another WR spot.  When guys like Wims, Ridley, and Hall drop in your lap at spots far later than their talent alone said they should go I think it makes sense to keep them around and develop them if we can. It's the only way to avoid having to spend like we did in 2018 to rebuild an entire core of receivers.

5 hours ago, soulman said:

IMHO we have no obvious need for a FB so if all we keep is our four top RBs that would open another WR spot.  When guys like Wims, Ridley, and Hall drop in your lap at spots far later than their talent alone said they should go I think it makes sense to keep them around and develop them if we can. It's the only way to avoid having to spend like we did in 2018 to rebuild an entire core of receivers.

This is the exact point I made. If they don't want to carry a FB, then they can use Braunecker as a lead back if they choose, then keep the roster spot for an "athlete." Especially if Monty is a better back than JH at missing guys miss in the holes, then a FB might not be as necessary in the offense.

On the opposite side of things, Andy Reid has always had a FB on his roster, and teams like NE often use FBs to create additional mismatches, especially against teams that might have defenses that focus on speed over physicality 

• Like 1

Undrafted WR Emanuel Hall turned down '20-plus offers' to play for Bears

emanuel-hall.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

By: Alyssa Barbieri | 8 hours ago

When Mizzou receiver Emanuel Hall fell went undrafted, it was one of the shocks of the 2019 NFL Draft.

Hall was graded as high as a third-round prospect by some draft analysts, but durability concerns dropped him out of the draft and right into the lap of the Chicago Bears.

Hall had his pick of almost any team in the NFL, but he chose the Bears “almost immediately.”

After going undrafted, Mizzou WR Emanuel Hall “almost immediately” decided to sign with the #Bears. He’s a big fan of WR coach Mike Furrey.

“There were 20-plus offers, but the Bears stood out to me. Coach Mike Furrey stood out to me. This is a great program."

— Adam Hoge (@AdamHoge) May 4, 2019

The Bears are loaded with talent at receiver with Allen Robinson, Anthony Miller, Taylor Gabriel, Cordarelle Patterson, Javon Wims and rookie fourth-round pick Riley Ridley.

The Bears typically keep six receivers on their roster, so there’s going to be some great competition at the position heading into training camp.Sign up for the Bears Wire email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning

Given the depth at receiver, why would Hall choose to come to a team where it’ll be more difficult to earn a roster spot? One word: Confidence.

Here's undrafted free agent wide receiver Emanuel Hall on why he chose the #Bears, who have a deep depth chart at WR, as his destination after not being drafted out of Mizzou: pic.twitter.com/3fRcG6p8ze

— JJ Stankevitz (@JJStankevitz) May 4, 2019

“I was kind of looking at the depth chart, but at the end of the day I’m confident in my abilities and I know coach [Mike] Furrey can take me to a whole new level,” Hall said. “Who’s on the depth chart, who’s not on the depth chart really isn’t a matter of mind to me. At the end of the day, my work is going to prove for itself, my results are going to prove for itself and that’s what I plan to do.”

Another reason that Hall chose Chicago was receivers coach Mike Furrey, who left a lasting impression on Hall and believes can help him grow as a receiver.

Asked why he chose the Bears in undrafted free agency, WR Emanuel Hall immediately said receivers coach Mike Furrey.

— Kevin Fishbain (@kfishbain) May 4, 2019

“He’s a super genuine coach,” Hall said. “At the end of the day, there’s some coaches that you can kind of tell aren’t really into you and there are some coaches who want the best for you. I think all the coaches want the best for me here.”

While the odds seem stacked against Hall with the depth on this roster at receiver, he’s prepared to let his play speak for itself.

He gives the Bears more speed at receiver and has a real shot at making the 53-man roster.

I will surely give Hall credit for saying all of the right things and for his desire to be coached by someone he respects as much as he seems to respect Mike Furrey.  That in itself is a good sign and that whatever "attitude" issues he may have had in college may have been overblown or that his falling out of the draft altogether may have sobered up his thinking about himself and his future in the NFL.

My initial evaluation of his abilities still stands but that doesn't mean I'm rooting against him and it never has.  I was only trying to be realistic about where he may be now as far as his NFL receiving skills go. I believe he has a good chance of making the roster and if he accepts good coaching and puts it altogether as a pro with his speed he can be scary good as more than just a one trick pony deep threat.

I hope it works out that way and that one day he's the centerpiece of a feature video of how he went from undrafted to All Pro.

5 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

This is the exact point I made. If they don't want to carry a FB, then they can use Braunecker as a lead back if they choose, then keep the roster spot for an "athlete." Especially if Monty is a better back than JH at missing guys miss in the holes, then a FB might not be as necessary in the offense.

On the opposite side of things, Andy Reid has always had a FB on his roster, and teams like NE often use FBs to create additional mismatches, especially against teams that might have defenses that focus on speed over physicality 

Braunecker should be an ideal HBack who can take on snaps as a FB the few times it's needed and Nagy even had Hicks playing FB last year.

IMHO they can always keep a FB type on the PS be it Nall or another guy who can handle that role.  Then if for whatever reason a pure FB is needed you elevate him and send someone else to the PS.  Shifting players around on the PS goes on throughout the season adding here and subtracting there so there will always be a way to cover the need for a FB if that's what Nagy wants.

I never like the risk of trying to sneak a player we want to keep through waivers to get him to the PS.

Dude ran a 4.3 and broke broad jump record for WRs at 200+ lbs. at combine.  There is no better test for explosion than the broad jump.  He did it with a groin inury and probable sports hernia that may need surgery.

Sports hernias can possibly put you out for a season and linger even if they don't.  Has to be a big reason he wasnt drafted combined with attitude or whatever he did to piss coaches off.   His tape screams good player.  

He had all that coming into combine.  Which means he probably couldn't train much.  

This guy is a stud athlete.    

There's an old coaches saying.  Potential gets you fired.   But potential gambled on and realized also wins you a lot a games.  

If its me I am keeping this guy unless he does something that pisses me off.  Someone else has to go.  

Put him on IR and redhsirt him. 

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

There's an old coaches saying.  Potential gets you fired.   But potential gambled on and realized also wins you a lot a games.  

If its me I am keeping this guy unless he does something that pisses me off.  Someone else has to go.  

Put him on IR and redhsirt him. 

That's always possible too but if he can play on coverage teams there's a decent chance he can make the roster.

Nagy and Furrey know what he needs work on and he knows what he needs work on.  He seems to like and respect Furrey and chose Chicago because of it.  I take that as a good sign of some maturity.  He's getting a shot at the bottom and it's up to him to work his way up.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just listening to Dane Brugler sp? ,who is probably most respected media scout working today, he said Hall is a second round talent.   

He said he thought he would go in 4th because he flat refused to play through injury at Mizzu which really pissed off staff there.  They made known their feelings to scouts.  

I dont really blame a kid for taking that attitude when he thinks he's going to be a high round pick. Obviously it backfired on him. 

I think he fell further because doctors found a sports hernia. 

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I was just listening to Dane Brugler sp? ,who is probably most respected media scout working today, he said Hall is a second round talent.   

He said he thought he would go in 4th because he flat refused to play through injury at Mizzu which really pissed off staff there.  They made known their feelings to scouts.  

I dont really blame a kid for taking that attitude when he thinks he's going to be a high round pick. Obviously it backfired on him. 

I think he fell further because doctors found a sports hernia. 

For both Hall and Ridley the only way to prove they were 2nd round talent is on the field.

I'd love it if Hall could become a faster version of ARob but I don't see that happening soon.

On 5/6/2019 at 5:42 AM, soulman said:

I will surely give Hall credit for saying all of the right things and for his desire to be coached by someone he respects as much as he seems to respect Mike Furrey.  That in itself is a good sign and that whatever "attitude" issues he may have had in college may have been overblown or that his falling out of the draft altogether may have sobered up his thinking about himself and his future in the NFL.

My initial evaluation of his abilities still stands but that doesn't mean I'm rooting against him and it never has.  I was only trying to be realistic about where he may be now as far as his NFL receiving skills go. I believe he has a good chance of making the roster and if he accepts good coaching and puts it altogether as a pro with his speed he can be scary good as more than just a one trick pony deep threat.

I hope it works out that way and that one day he's the centerpiece of a feature video of how he went from undrafted to All Pro.

I'd think going undrafted would seriously deflate someone's ego. Hopefully it gives him that chip on the shoulder attitude and he works his *** off to make the team.