Linebacker Derrick Johnson signs one-day contract to retire a Chief

TheKillerNacho

11 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

One of the best college football players I've ever seen. 

Local guy here. I followed him in High School. It was great when my Chiefs drafted him. Too bad the defense sucked back then. As much as we complain, this one is much better.

J

I was working part time at at a bank (Bank One, remember that bank?) as a Client Service rep/Teller back in 2004, I think. One day, this HUGE guy walks in and says "I need to open up an account." He was wearing a t-shirt and basketball shorts, the guy just got out of a workout. 

I handed him a form, offered him a water, asked his name. "Derrick" he says while filling out the form. I took a closer look at his shirt, and it had "Playboy All American" on the sleeve. (That used to be a HUGE deal back then). I asked "Hey...do you play football?" And he told me that he played for UT and was getting ready for the NFL draft. I stammered "Are you...Derrick Johnson?" and he smiled and said "yup!" He was really chill, didn't really draw much attention to himself - I funneled him to one of our New Account reps, told her who he was (and what he was about to bring to our branch - I can imagine what those accounts look like now) and we got him squared away. 

That's the 2nd biggest named athlete I've met while I worked at the bank. Dirk Nowitzki is still the biggest, but Johnson was ahead of LB Warrick Holdman.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

To me, he started this new breed, undersized sideline-to-sideline LB trend. Dude was mad underrated his entire career. Just a show up every day, first-in-first-out, shut your mouth and work type of guy...

When he went to the combine, DJ was 6'3 and 1/2 and weighed 242 pounds. I personally wouldn't call that undersized whatsoever.

25 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

When he went to the combine, DJ was 6'3 and 1/2 and weighed 242 pounds. I personally wouldn't call that undersized whatsoever.

Weird. Now I have to figure out where I got my 6'1 235 lbs Derrick Johnson from....

3 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

Weird. Now I have to figure out where I got my 6'1 235 lbs Derrick Johnson from....

Different LB in that same draft with DJ initials...D'Quell Jackson 2nd round to Cleveland out of Maryland...that's what I bet.