Looking beyond 2019

Woz

On 5/6/2019 at 6:22 PM, Woz said:

He was on a one year deal and retired mid-season. So he played enough games to get an accruing season, and thus his contract expired making him an unrestricted free agent.

It was a completely stupid signing since there was absolutely zero chance he wouldn't have been there now (and thus not count against the compensatory selections). Flowers might have been gone by now, but he's a waste of space.

So per Lance Zerlein... (who gave us a 6th in addition to our 4th)

On 5/6/2019 at 7:54 AM, lavar703 said:

I agree with the DRC and Flowers signings. Just made no sense at all and there’s a good chance DRC keeps a young guy off of the roster so it’s a double whammy. 

Let’s hope the young guys clearly outplay them like what happened last year when Dunny & Moreau made Scandrick expendable.

On 5/3/2019 at 5:56 PM, e16bball said:

Embrace the sit!

Keep Haskins on the pine, roll with Keenum or (preferably) McCoy, and change the slogan to “Play like doody for Jeudy!”

I like the slogan, but I feel Haskins is going to play eventually and he may play week 1. I think we’re going to be a run first offense this year - at worse very balanced like last year - just like the Steelers and Ravens were when Ben & Joe we’re young QBs. If that’s the case, there’s clearly no harm in rolling with the young kid if he’s handing it off 30 plus times a year and getting live playing time and developing.

On 5/10/2019 at 2:15 PM, MikeT14 said:

So per Lance Zerlein... (who gave us a 6th in addition to our 4th)

That would be nice.

It seems that DRC got a "vet min special" deal ($1.035M + 45K signing bonus, but only has a cap hit of $690K), so maybe it drops out. Over The Cap still has it cancelling, but I can see Zierlein's point.

Other places Zierlein and OTC disagree:

• Baltimore
    • Zierlein = 3rd, 4th, 5th
    • OTC = 3rd, 4th [they have Justin Bethel's signing ($2M AAV) canceling out Terrell Suggs ($7M AAV), but realistically, it's Mark Ingram's contract ($5M AAV) that should cancel; then Bethel would cancel out Brent Urban ($1.55M AAV)]
      • Woz's thoughts = I agree with OTC on this one
  • Minnesota
    • Zierlein = 3rd, 6th, 7th
    • OTC = they list seven (but teams are capped at four) - a 3rd, 6th, and five 7ths.
      • Woz's thoughts = Tom Compton (the second of the five 7th round values, $1.6M contract) would need to get a lot of playing time for the second 7th to come in play. I agree with Zierlein here.
  • Denver
    • Zierlein = 6th, 7th
    • OTC = 6th, 7th, 7th
      • Woz's thoughts = Tramaine Brock's $1.325M is probably too low to net Denver a second 7th. I'm with Zierlein here.
  • Houston
    • Zierlein = 3rd, 7th
    • OTC = 3rd, 7th, 7th
      • Woz's thoughts = Christian Covington's $1.75M is awfully close to the draw line (Zierlein's lowest 7th contract value is Brett Hundley's $1.875M). This one may come down to playing time. Wouldn't call it now.
  • LA Rams
    • Zierlein = 3rd, 4th
    • OTC = 4th, 4th
      • Woz's thoughts = Zierlein hedges on his 3rd round projection for Saffold. Like with Houston and Covington, this might come down to playing time. However, given that Tennessee handed Saffold a 4y/$44M contract with $22.5M guaranteed ($19M guaranteed at signing), I think I might lean this to a third and go with Zierlein (Mitch Morse would have the 93rd best contract at $11.25M AAV, which OTC says would be a 3rd had it not canceled out; Saffold's is $11M AAV and at least tied at 98th with Tyrell Williams).
      • At the same time, Zierlein's projecting the Chargers only to get a 4th due to Williams (OTC agrees with it being a 4th). Maybe this is a snaps/playing time difference?

So, if we assume that the draw line is somewhere around $1.75-$2M for a qualifying free agent, then DRC might not cancel out Nsekhe's departure. Still, the Ereck Flowers cancellation of HaHa Clinton-Dix is stupid in the extreme.