Looking beyond 2019

Woz

26 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

For me, I want to see them be bad enough to get Jeudy but with Haskins playing well lol. Maybe we lose a bunch of close games by last second field goals but the team clearly shows vast improvement. 

Embrace the sit!

Keep Haskins on the pine, roll with Keenum or (preferably) McCoy, and change the slogan to “Play like doody for Jeudy!”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

How many compensatory draft picks are we expecting next season?

Does anybody know?

I know we traded away our 2020 2nd rounder on the move up for Sweat.

But does anyone know what we'll get back, from our signed loss of players?

I believe just a 4th for crowder 

the Collins, Cromartie, and Flowers additions cancelled out the 3rd for Preston, 6 for Ty Nsekhe, and 7 for HAHA

Edited by LoganF89
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I’m totally fine with the Collins signing. The odds of you finding someone as good as Collins that late is extremely low. 

I think that’s why he bolded only the last two names. 

I’m not happy about it either. Reeks of sacrificing long term success for 2019, and we all know 2019 is a lost season. 

Edited by HTTRG3Dynasty
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

I think that’s why he bolded only the last two names. 

I’m not happy about it either. Reeks of sacrificing long term success for 2019, and we all know 2019 is a lost season. 

I agree with the DRC and Flowers signings. Just made no sense at all and there’s a good chance DRC keeps a young guy off of the roster so it’s a double whammy. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

How many compensatory draft picks are we expecting next season?

Does anybody know?

I know we traded away our 2020 2nd rounder on the move up for Sweat.

But does anyone know what we'll get back, from our signed loss of players?

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

We're looking at a 4th rounder only like was said. 

Washington Redskins
Qualifying UFAs Lost: 4 Qualifying UFAs Gained: 3
Name Rd. APY Rank Name Rd. APY Rank
Preston Smith 3 $13,000,000 64 Landon Collins 3 $14,000,000 46
Jamison Crowder 4 $9,500,000 125  
Ty Nsekhe 6 $4,900,000 355 Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie 7 $1,075,000 914
Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix 7 $3,000,000 528 Ereck Flowers 7 $3,250,000 486
  • Like 1

On 5/2/2019 at 9:56 PM, taylor made said:
On 5/2/2019 at 9:48 PM, LoganF89 said:

Apke is already 27? He’s only played 1 year (well been in the league.....) just another reason why I’m not high on him. So basically if he ended up actually developing which I have no faith that he does he would be 30 looking for a new contract...... once again, that 4th rounder we spent on him could of been more valuable on someone else.

That's a typo, he just turned 24

Sorry about that. Yeah, he's 24. Fixed the post.

On 5/2/2019 at 10:46 PM, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

My biggest concern is how old our current best players are:

• Trent
  • Kerrigan
  • Reed (if healthy)
  • AP

Moses and Scherff are both getting close to 30 as well.  

And that's the result of having missed on many draft picks and trying to patch over those misses with free agents.

Keep in mind, Peterson wouldn't even been in DC if Guice hadn't torn his ACL last year.

On 5/3/2019 at 9:53 AM, LoganF89 said:

Can we cut Alex Smith after next year? I remember hearing something about an insurance policy or something on him worth 10-15 mil. I know there would still be some dead cap but I’m sure it would be some savings in there. I rather just cut our losses with him after the season if what I hear about the insurance policy is true

I believe they can, but only if he fails a physical and cannot play in 2020.

Keep in mind, they'd only get some of that money back, not all of it.

On 5/3/2019 at 5:54 PM, e16bball said:

With the major draft investments at QB and ROLB, I think any need outside of WR is sorta playing for second place on the priority list at this point. 

Yes, there are current holes at some positions — ILB, FS, and probably still LG being chief among them. But those are positions of far lesser importance than WR1, and we actually have some possibilities at each of those positions on the roster.

And yes, there are speculative future holes at some major positions that we can reasonably project needed replacements down the road — including OT, CB, LOLB, and TE (obvious lesser importance). But we have quality starters at those positions, out of whom we can hopefully squeeze a couple more seasons. Perhaps Norman will he gone, but I feel okay about the young depth and think we can hope at least one of these youngsters emerges into a viable starter (in the slot, at the very least). 

WR1 is the only position where we have a gaping hole currently and no reasonable hope on the roster to fill it. And it is a high premium position in today’s NFL, in my opinion, especially when you’re hoping to develop a young QB.

The real challenge for a WR is finding one.

2020 Free agents:

• One last roll of the dice options (ones that actually were primary starters, but are now probably looking at retirement)
    • Larry Fitzgerald (37)
    • Julian Edelman (34)
    • Danny Amendola (34)
    • Emmanuel Sanders (33)
    • A.J. Green (32)  [didn't think he was that old]
    • Demaryius Thomas (32)
  • Older vets that you could maybe squeeze a couple years out of
    • Torrey Smith (31)
    • Randall Cobb (30)
    • Josh Gordon (29)  [you could likely get more years out of Gordon, but how many of them are going to be wasted with him being suspended; this would be the first time Gordon could actually approach unrestricted free agency again due to all his suspensions]
    • Tavon Austin (29)  [this would be a mistake]
  • Guys in their prime ... but are they prime guys?
    • Allen Hurns (28)
    • Jordan Matthews (28)
    • Kevin White (28)  [bwhahahahahaa]
    • Phillip Dorsett (27)
    • Nelson Agholor (27)
    • Devin Funchess (26)
  • WR #1 material ... and you'll have to pay for it (assumes he actually hits the market)
    • Michael Thomas (27)
    • Amari Cooper (26)
  • WR #1 material ... but a metric ton of baggage
    • Tyreek Hill (26)

Beyond that, it's a bunch of role players of various shapes and sorts. So, effectively, you either sacrifice about 10-12% of your cap space on one of the top dog free agents (again, assuming they actually make it to free agency), or it's back to the draft.

This is why I am somewhat peeved that Washington has not cut Brian Quick already. He's a JAG. Having him on the roster gives the coaching staff an excuse/crutch not to turn over more reps to the young guys. Again, I'm not expecting miracles from the rookies (or much at all, to be honest), but giving the time they could be developing to a guy who is basically roster fluff is a waste.

2 hours ago, ovfd55 said:

Why would we lose anything for signing DRC,he didn't play last year thaught it only counted for unrestricted free agents.Know cut players don't count against it.

He was on a one year deal and retired mid-season. So he played enough games to get an accruing season, and thus his contract expired making him an unrestricted free agent.

It was a completely stupid signing since there was absolutely zero chance he wouldn't have been there now (and thus not count against the compensatory selections). Flowers might have been gone by now, but he's a waste of space.