diamondbull424

Predict the 2020 Draft Needs

Simple. Predict our top 3 draft needs for the 2020 draft.

Be sure to consider:

a) What picks we just made

b) Notable free agents

c) Weakest positions

d) Potential retirees

e) Potential cap casualties

What do you think our top needs will be and bonus points to some prospects you think might fill it in next year’s draft class.

Not necessarily in order:

1) DL - All of the likely starting trio might not be on the roster after this season. Michael Pierce and Willie Henry will both be UFAs in 2020, and it will also be the first year that cutting Brandon Williams and his bloated contract could potentially make sense. 

2) ILB - Peanut and Kenny Young is a largely untested combination and Peanut will be an UFA in 2020.  There is basically nothing behind them on the roster at present.  EDC admitted that they considered drafting a LB last week but the board just never fell in a way that it made sense to pull the trigger. 

3) IOL - It was a need this off-season and I don't think drafting Ben Powers will completely solve that.  Plus Yanda is likely to retire after the 2020 season and it would be smart to plan for that

CB (Jimmy Smith will be a UFA, Brandon Carr will be 34) and WR (Snead and Moore will be UFAs, the position as a whole is still unknown given none of the 4 WRs drafted in the last 2 years have made an NFL catch) were also in consideration

20 hours ago, drd23 said:

Not necessarily in order:

1) DL - All of the likely starting trio might not be on the roster after this season. Michael Pierce and Willie Henry will both be UFAs in 2020, and it will also be the first year that cutting Brandon Williams and his bloated contract could potentially make sense. 

2) ILB - Peanut and Kenny Young is a largely untested combination and Peanut will be an UFA in 2020.  There is basically nothing behind them on the roster at present.  EDC admitted that they considered drafting a LB last week but the board just never fell in a way that it made sense to pull the trigger. 

3) IOL - It was a need this off-season and I don't think drafting Ben Powers will completely solve that.  Plus Yanda is likely to retire after the 2020 season and it would be smart to plan for that

CB (Jimmy Smith will be a UFA, Brandon Carr will be 34) and WR (Snead and Moore will be UFAs, the position as a whole is still unknown given none of the 4 WRs drafted in the last 2 years have made an NFL catch) were also in consideration

Hard to argue with this.  I would add a #4 (below the other three, but ahead of CB/WR)

4) Edge - Matt Judon will be a UFA next offseason.  There have been rumors of us signing Ansah, but I imagine both parties would want to make that a 1-year or 1&1 (big 2nd year option) contract so he would likely be a one-year guy.  Ferguson is obviously an unknown and while I'm confident in Williams and/or Bowser taking the next step, we need to see it happen.  Even if all three of those guys work out, we could be sitting with only three guys on the roster, two of which will be UFA in 2021.

Yep, I really should have listed EDGE instead of CB considering Marvin and Tavon Young are locked up for the medium term, plus the presence of Averett and Marshall