Giants Sign Syracuse QB Eric Dungey

bzane

Large, athletic, mobile QB signed as FA- not Daniel Jones, but, then again, who is? Might compete for 3rd-string job. Hope Lauletta doesn't crash a police barrier, running late to rookie camp, on account of the news. 

https://nypost.com/2019/05/02/giants-sign-undrafted-syracuse-qb-eric-dungey/

Sexy and exciting workout numbers:

Pro Day/Scouting Combine Performance: 

• 40-yard dash: 4.68 seconds
  • 3-cone drill: 7.02 seconds
  • Vertical leap: 31.5 inches
Image result for eric dungey
Edited by bzane

He's built like a truck. If Shurmur wanted a Taysom Hill type player, he's got one now. I'd be excited if he was able to stick. Personally, I'd keep him over Tanney/Lauletta. If somehow both Eli and Jones get injured, we aren't doing anything anyway, and at least Dungey has value on special teams.

59 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

He's built like a truck. If Shurmur wanted a Taysom Hill type player, he's got one now. I'd be excited if he was able to stick. Personally, I'd keep him over Tanney/Lauletta. If somehow both Eli and Jones get injured, we aren't doing anything anyway, and at least Dungey has value on special teams.

That's right! The reader will note from the photo below that Eric Dungey is nearly as brawny as I am, and a few years younger! I had hoped that his bulging muscles and brooding gaze would entice @celestial into commenting on Dungey's chances with the Giants. Let's face it- he's mobile, and he's not Eli (Ha! Ha!). He has all the elements to- dare I say it?- replace Geno Smith!!

Image result for eric dungey

1 hour ago, Giants4eva said:

Im not understanding this signing at all.. Is he a special teamer at best ? ... Were stacked at TE. Engram, Ellison and Simonson.. this makes zero sense to bring this kid in. 

I don't see how this is a confusing signing. He's a gadget player with the athleticism to contribute on special teams, just like Taysom Hill. We don't have a player like that on the roster. Remember during the Panthers game I believe, Shurmur had Eli and Kyle Lauletta in on the same play with Lauletta lined up out wide. Shurmur likes his trick plays. He's also a local guy who the Giants most likely got a look at during their local visits. If he can show enough on special teams this preseason, I think he may actually make the roster.

• 2 months later...
On 5/6/2019 at 1:55 PM, minutemancl said:

I don't see how this is a confusing signing. He's a gadget player with the athleticism to contribute on special teams, just like Taysom Hill. We don't have a player like that on the roster. Remember during the Panthers game I believe, Shurmur had Eli and Kyle Lauletta in on the same play with Lauletta lined up out wide. Shurmur likes his trick plays. He's also a local guy who the Giants most likely got a look at during their local visits. If he can show enough on special teams this preseason, I think he may actually make the roster.

And waived today. 

https://nypost.com/2019/07/24/giants-waive-undrafted-syracuse-long-shot-eric-dungey/

Edited by Giants4eva