Cardinals sign TE Maxx Williams

TheKillerNacho

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/02/maxx-williams-signs-az-arizona-cardinals/

A former 2nd round pick heralded as a great receiving TE, Williams saw injuries derail his career then get buried in the depth chart behind Nick Boyle, Hayden Hurst, and Mark Andrews. Perhaps he can turn it around on a Cardinals team with very little TE depth.

A freak injury derailed his career in Baltimore. Apparently he had a surgery that was never done on an nfl player before and his career was in real jeopardy. Largely why he could never live up to draft billing 

He was able to work his way back, but his mobility is now very much lower tier. He's fair as a blocker or safety reciever, there are just 0 big plays. Decent add as a #2-3 TE in a less crowded group.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tom cody said:

Decent pickup here for Arizona, a possible target besides Fitzgerald for Murray to throw to. 

They did draft 3 WR's, have Christian Kirk and also have a healthy David Johnson on the roster.  Murray has some targets already. Not sure if Williams is as good of a player as he is a name we're familiar with. The injury thing sucks and I hope he plays better than I expect.

They got a decent amount of depth at TE, Charles Clay I have always liked and Seals-Jones has potential.  Maxx could break out as well and Wilson is a fine stretch TE and had a hell of a season last year.  The WR group looks solid as well with Isabella who I really like, Butler and Larry to teach them the show.  Pharoh has potential as does Kirk and who knows with Kevin White.  Oddly enough they have an interested roster, sadly they hired the wrong coach from college, they should of hired Lincoln Riley out of college instead of the Ryan Gosling wannabe.  

WR
Larry Fitzgerald
Christian Kirk
Andy Isabella
Pharoh Cooper
Hakeem Butler
Kevin White
KeeSean Johnson

TE 
Charles Clay
Ricky Seals-Jones
Darrell Daniels
Maxx Williams
Caleb Wilson

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Ozzy said:

They got a decent amount of depth at TE, Charles Clay I have always liked and Seals-Jones has potential.  Maxx could break out as well and Wilson is a fine stretch TE and had a hell of a season last year.  The WR group looks solid as well with Isabella who I really like, Butler and Larry to teach them the show.  Pharoh has potential as does Kirk and who knows with Kevin White.  Oddly enough they have an interested roster, sadly they hired the wrong coach from college, they should of hired Lincoln Riley out of college instead of the Ryan Gosling wannabe.  

WR
Larry Fitzgerald
Christian Kirk
Andy Isabella
Pharoh Cooper
Hakeem Butler
Kevin White
KeeSean Johnson

TE 
Charles Clay
Ricky Seals-Jones
Darrell Daniels
Maxx Williams
Caleb Wilson

Multiple teams tried to hire Riley until he signed an extension with Oklahoma.

4 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

Multiple teams tried to hire Riley until he signed an extension with Oklahoma.

I know, and I am sure eventually he will make that move.  Just saying personally I feel he is by far the better head coach in every sense of the word compared to who Arizona has.  If Kliff could not even succeed really in college, why would he in the NFL?  If he could not lead college kids who can he now lead grown men? 

But he gets the credit for Mahomes being good and really it did not have a ton to do with him I feel, same with Baker Mayfield.  Two Texas kids had interest in the pass happy system of Texas Tech as passing QBs, big surprise, not sure it had much of anything to do with Kliff's ability to develop a QB he just lucked out and was in the right situation at the right time when Texas and A&M were kind of down at that recruiting point.  Sure Baker left but was drawn to the Texas Tech system then made a great choice and got out of their and actually accomplished something in college football at OU.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the lone star said:

change of scenery might help. He busted before his freak injury though tbh.

?? He was 22 when he had that mysterious "rare and complicated" surgery. He only got to play a couple games in 2016 before that happened.

I think some of the takes on him now are off. He's not raw and high potential anymore. He's actually pretty well polished. He knows and does his assignments well, but he's just slow for a modern TE now. I'd say he's more of a capable body, but low upside player now. The Ravens had a lot of tight ends, but still got Maxx on the field for 33% of the snaps to do role player type assignments, which is what he is now.

Edited by wackywabbit