2019 NFL season predictions

SBLIII

I'm not going to do full predictions for every team but here is what my seeding predictions are:

AFC

1) New England Patriots (13-3-0)

2) Los Angeles Chargers (11-5-0) (Beats Indy Week 1)

3) Indianapolis Colts (11-5-0)    (Loses to Chargers week 1)

4) Pittsburgh Steelers (10-6-0)

5) Kansas City Chiefs (10-6-0)

6) Cleveland Browns (9-7-0)

Just Missed: Texans, Ravens, Broncos, Jets

NFC

1) Philadelphia Eagles (12-4-0)   (Better Conf record)

2) Los Angeles Rams (12-4-0)    (Worse Conference record)

3) New Orleans Saints (11-5-0)

4) Green Bay Packers (10-6-0)   [splits series with Chicago, 4-2 divisional record]

5) Carolina Panthers (10-6-0) [Better conference record than Chicago]

6) Chicago Bears (10-6-0)       [splits series with GB, 3-3 divisional record; worse conference record than Carolina]

Just Missed: Seahawks, Vikings, Cowboys, Falcons

Super Bowl: Patriots get revenge on Philly for 2 years ago.

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 1

On 05/05/2019 at 3:05 PM, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Nooo i’ve Never picked against the Pats tbh. I recognize them as the greatest dynasty of all time because of how long it has lasted. That being said Tom is what 43? You can’t beat age forever. It’s just impossible. I get it, that’s his ammo, the odds against him, but it has to end at some point. 

Thing is, NE doesn't rely on Brady as much as they used to. They still have a solid running game, an outstanding OL (minus a big question mark at LT), and a very good secondary. Couple that with great coaching, and I think, even with a possible Brady regression, it's not realistic to predict them with less than 9-10 wins. And 9-10 wins might be enough to win the East, even with Buffalo and NYJ possibly being better.

Three most overrated teams right now I'm seeing are PIT, CLE, and LAC in the AFC

Underrated teams in AFC are NYJ, HOU, JAC

Pit are ready for the decline and CLE is being super over hyped.  They are crazy talented but I could see them crumble under the pressure which happens to young teams.  LAC is your typical hot and cold team so last year they were hot this year could be the year where they underachieve.

NYJ had a big offseason which is typically never a good thing being the offseason winners but with a young up and coming QB anything is possible.  HOU is still solid and with just average OL play they will be a threat and Jac was rocked with issues last year and while I'm no fan of Foles they just added a stud OLB to an already stellar defense and with average QB play could bounce back 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TedLavie said:

Thing is, NE doesn't rely on Brady as much as they used to. They still have a solid running game, an outstanding OL (minus a big question mark at LT), and a very good secondary. Couple that with great coaching, and I think, even with a possible Brady regression, it's not realistic to predict them with less than 9-10 wins. And 9-10 wins might be enough to win the East, even with Buffalo and NYJ possibly being better.

It's going to be interesting if NE will use the same formula they used in the last 5 games of the season.  They probably will, they question is if NFL teams can stop that style of play. I personally have my doubts because most defenses are built to stop the modern day passing game and the Patriots basically switched to the opposite. A big physical Offensive Line, big WRs and added another tough north south RB. 

59 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Three most overrated teams right now I'm seeing are PIT, CLE, and LAC in the AFC

Pit are ready for the decline and CLE is being super over hyped.  They are crazy talented but I could see them crumble under the pressure which happens to young teams.  LAC is your typical hot and cold team so last year they were hot this year could be the year where they underachieve.

NYJ had a big offseason which is typically never a good thing being the offseason winners but with a young up and coming QB anything is possible.  HOU is still solid and with just average OL play they will be a threat and Jac was rocked with issues last year and while I'm no fan of Foles they just added a stud OLB to an already stellar defense and with average QB play could bounce back 

JAX 2017 used the offseason to become very good. NYJ and BUF should be much improved this year and get to 8 or 9 wins.

LAC is your typical hot and cold team so last year they were hot this year could be the year where they underachieve.

This is false.

The Chargers have been one of the most consistent teams the last two years. In 2017, their expected wins/loss record was 10.4. In 2018, their expected wins/loss record was 10.4. The only major difference between 2017 and 2018 was their record in one score games, which generally comes down to luck. They were very unlucky in that category in 2017 and they were very lucky in that category in 2018. They will likely regress a bit to the mean, but should still win around 10-11 games. 

Edited by game3525
  • Like 2

Just now, game3525 said:

This is false.

The Chargers have been one of the most consistent teams the last two years. In 2017, their expected wins/loss record was 10.4. In 2018, their expected wins/loss record was 10.4. The only major difference between 2017 and 2018 was their record in once score games, which generally comes down to luck. They were very unlucky in that category in 2017 and they were very lucky in that category in 2018. They will likely regress a bit to the mean, but should still win around 10-11 games. 

Guess it is me thinking more about them being crushed by the injury bug.  They always seem to be the team everyone expects to win 10 and they end up with 8.  I could see them miss the playoffs this year when everyone else has them as a lock. 

6 minutes ago, game3525 said:

The only major difference between 2017 and 2018 was their record in one score games, which generally comes down to luck.

This is isn't exactly true.

Good teams find ways to win close games. That said a team that wins a vast majority of close games one season is more likely to win fewer close games proportionally next season. 

I'll do the AFC South, because I at least will know why I'm wrong when it goes to crap.

1. Colts (12-4)--I'm expecting them to be scary good.

2. Titans (9-7)--Shocker!  The Titans go 9-7!  What a bold prediction!

3. Texans (8-8)--I don't think Deshaun plays a full season.

4. Jags (5-11)--Foles' gold.

Edited by Daniel

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

I love to hear stuff like this from non Texans fans, but I'm more worried about the secondary over the OL. The OL will be what it is - and the sacks are just as much on Deshaun Watson holding onto the ball too long as it is sub-par play. If Watson can improve on his "quick" decision making, he'll cut down on the sacks by himself, regardless if Tytus Howard/Max Scharping come in and turn into immediate impact players on the OL.

The secondary, on the other hand? It's a potential disaster. The team is really depending on 2018 Bradley Roby being the exception, and hoping Lonnie Johnson turns a corner (no pun intended) quickly. They're saddling Justin Reid to elevate on a very promising rookie season, Aaron Colvin to forget a disaster of a 2018 season and hoping that Tashaun Gipson can replace the impact that Tyrann Mathieu brought to the field.

It CAN happen, but it's a very risky proposition to lean on.

This is isn't exactly true.

Good teams find ways to win close games. That said a team that wins a vast majority of close games one season is more likely to win fewer close games proportionally next season. 

Disagree.

By this theory, New England is the only good team in the league since they are the only team that seems to consistently do well in one score games. 

Jaguars/Browns/Panthers/Lions/49ers/Eagles make the playoffs.

Patriots, Jimmy Garoppolo, Kyle Shanahan, Richard Sherman back in the Super Bowl (Patriots win)

Best record in the NFC North is 9-7.

Cowboys and Saints both go 1-1 in the playoffs again. (One of these teams has a first round BYE.)

Edited by DoleINGout
Amended: Bengals miss playoffs due to Jonah Williams injury. 49ers in Super Bowl.

30 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I love to hear stuff like this from non Texans fans, but I'm more worried about the secondary over the OL. The OL will be what it is - and the sacks are just as much on Deshaun Watson holding onto the ball too long as it is sub-par play. If Watson can improve on his "quick" decision making, he'll cut down on the sacks by himself, regardless if Tytus Howard/Max Scharping come in and turn into immediate impact players on the OL.

The secondary, on the other hand? It's a potential disaster. The team is really depending on 2018 Bradley Roby being the exception, and hoping Lonnie Johnson turns a corner (no pun intended) quickly. They're saddling Justin Reid to elevate on a very promising rookie season, Aaron Colvin to forget a disaster of a 2018 season and hoping that Tashaun Gipson can replace the impact that Tyrann Mathieu brought to the field.

It CAN happen, but it's a very risky proposition to lean on.

All teams have their warts even potential great ones like NE and KC.  Secondary could be an issue sure but you still have a pass rush which always helps a weak secondary.  I don't know if they are superbowl contenders or anything I just see many saying no playoffs for teams like NYJ, HOU and JAC and I think could/will be better than expected.  They could crumble too, what do I know.  Don't blame me if HOU stinks lol.

• Like 1