DoleINGout

Lee Smith an option at tight end? Former Patriots draft pick released by the Raiders yesterday

I liked Smith during his brief time on the Patriots. Seemed like a solid blocker and good teammate. With the Raiders apparently Lee Smith has been a contributor on special teams and as a blocker. If the experiment with Austin Seferian-Jenkins busts I would really like to see the Patriots give Smith a second chance. There is a much bigger need at tight end now than when he was waived years ago so hopefully he would understand the opportunity is greater now.

The other option at tight end was Maxx Williams who signed today with the Cardinals.

6 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

What would you trade for Kyle Rudolph? A fifth round pick?

Yeah, definitely. After 4 is a crap-shoot anyway, we know the Rudolph is a servicable NFL TE.

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yeah, definitely. After 4 is a crap-shoot anyway, we know the Rudolph is a servicable NFL TE.

To me that would be a move to expect during training camp because the Patriots will try to roll with what they've got. Pats aren't trying to replace what they had, they don't operate like that. The Pats always try to gain production however they can which is what makes them so adaptable to key player departures. The Pats don't copy in a copycat league. 

I think a lot of people have not been expecting the Patriots to find a traditional replacement for Gronkowski in the offensive system. My thought was that they'll use primarily blocking tight ends in tandem with a more diverse receiving cast and potent running game.

If Kyle Rudolph is acquired it's basically like getting an older Irv Smith Jr. for a year and less investment. It also would signal to me a few things: 1. Less cap for player contract extension, 2. Patriots current group of skill players need help, 3. Trade compensation for Rudolph is relatively low.

Apparently the Pats gave $115,000 signing bonus to UDFA tight end Andrew Beck, (the highest of all their UDFA signings). So look for Beck to make the roster in some capacity.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I think a lot of people have not been expecting the Patriots to find a traditional replacement for Gronkowski in the offensive system. My thought was that they'll use primarily blocking tight ends in tandem with a more diverse receiving cast and potent running game.

Agreed. Might be finding Harry and Maurice in similar Gronk-light assignments, whilst we pound the running game. Nice second options for TB who will catch anything put near them

I assume the coaching staff pretty much considered that Gronk of old wasn't an entity even last season. He was a blocker, first and foremost.

Edited by Hunter2_1

5 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Agreed. Might be finding Harry and Maurice in similar Gronk-light assignments, whilst we pound the running game. Nice second options for TB who will catch anything put near them

I assume the coaching staff pretty much considered that Gronk of old wasn't an entity even last season. He was a blocker, first and foremost.

Exactly, which is why I'm not sold on Austin Seferian-Jenkins nor the idea of Kyle Rudolph. I brought him up because he is well known, but Lee Smith is the prototype for what they seem to be after right now when you look at Ryan Izzo, Matt LaCosse, and Andrew Beck.

The guys like Rudolph, ASJ, and Jacob Hollister are going to be less likely to make an impact and justify saving a roster spot for in 2019.

3 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Exactly, which is why I'm not sold on Austin Seferian-Jenkins nor the idea of Kyle Rudolph. I brought him up because he is well known, but Lee Smith is the prototype for what they seem to be after right now when you look at Ryan Izzo, Matt LaCosse, and Andrew Beck.

The guys like Rudolph, ASJ, and Jacob Hollister are going to be less likely to make an impact and justify saving a roster spot for in 2019.

Belichick seems to think we are fine at TE with strong blockers only.

A power running and play action football team featuring big physical wide receivers on the outside.

2 hours ago, SBLIII said:

Belichick seems to think we are fine at TE with strong blockers only.

A power running and play action football team featuring big physical wide receivers on the outside.

One underrated thing about the Austin Seferian-Jenkins signing I really appreciate is how sobriety can help both he and Josh Gordon as teammates come together and thrive without substance abuse controlling their life. Hopefully they're able to persevere together and elevate the Patriots in 2019 new heights. I would really love to see both win a Super Bowl next season while playing on the field.