Stephone Anthony prob not going to make the final Roster?

DjRay1985

Beating a dead horse here I know, but this is sad....

Stephone Anthony, most Saints fans would hope our first round pick wouldn't be a bust but, it isn't his fault. Cedric Ellis yes, Anthony, no. Anthony has huge, huge promise imo.. still. Most Saints fans know, he played MLB at Clemson, he played MLB, his rookie year and made the all Rookie Team, and then in 2016 he was moved to the strongside and played bad then got hurt as they tried to make him a Scott Fujita type player? Nope! Year 2 Saints?! Year 3 we move him to the weak side when why not back to the middle. Sometimes we do too much too fast.

Then we sign Te'o (who has been solid so far) at MLB who will more than likely be the starter

So in a Saints article Sean Peyton says:

It's run, and he's dropping back in a pass mode. Or it's pass, and he's at the line of scrimmage. His ability to see and diagnose some very simple reads, for instance, are the keys for him getting better. (DEC 2016)

NFL Draft Scout from NFL.com

"He tries to get downhill and make plays, but more often it feels like he's guessing rather than instinctive. If he can play with more control and play to his traits, he'll be a starting linebacker in the league" (2015 DRAFT)

So we move him to an unnatural position in year two and three, and then we expect him to learn that while coming off injury (for year three), but we also know he makes many plays by guessing or instinct since college and still move him to take pressure off him, but add Laurinaitis at MLB as a veteran mentor who lasted until that November by which Anthony and Mauti were also out as well. Luckily we had Nate Stupar. BTW Stupar has 118 total career tackles since 2013 = to Anthony in 2 seasons with injury. I get it,  Stupar is a special team guy, and Anthony is has not been, but I feel like we said "f" the high draft pick part. 

Also, the one time he did go back to playing his natural position at middle linebacker in a game we lost, he led the teams with nine tackles, including one for loss in the game.

Kid exploded year one on the worst Def in the NFL. Now he won't make the roster. I blame coaching. How does a 3 year player go from leading the team in tackles year one and when his name was called at his original position, he performed, to not making a roster and it's not his fault?

In that same above original article, Sean Peyton:

The best way for him to improve his instincts and ability to diagnose plays is to actually have opportunities in games, but the team can't afford to use a player who might hurt the team.

"He got a lot of work," Payton said about Sunday. "Overall I thought he did a lot things positive. There's a handful of things to make corrections on the tape. But, you know, he gave us a definite winning performance."

Seriously?! Came in and played at natural spot, after not having played that position all season long, and later that season, he gets injured playing new position. C'MON! 

What ever happened to just being an old fashion football player. Maybe the Saints brass has overthought this kid?

Lastly I will say this, any team that puts him back in the middle will get a solid, natural MIDDLE linebacker (with film study), and it will prob be the Patriots or a team in the NFC south that will pick him up off waivers and gain starting youth over the next 5-10 years smh. Heck the Patriots may especially since they signed a former career Jet MLB in his 30s. The did the same with Barkevious Mingo of LSU. Even though his didn't pan out there, He will prob start in Indy after a solid preseason; high draft picks get 3rd and 4th chances and thats why. Maybe its God's plan for him not to be a Saint (oxymoron), because his luck with us was not good at all.

I'd love to see him make the roster and get coached all season by Nolan but he doesn't offer the quality on ST's that's someone like Stupar or Mauti does.  

I hate losing someone that has that much speed at LB. In a defense where he can strictly play downhill, he may have a better chance. 

This scheme isnt ideal for Anthony... He needs to be a WILB in a 34 where he would not have the burden of communicating the defense while also playing in the middle with as little coverage duties as possible. This is basically how Rob Ryan used Anthony in his rookie season. 

Still... Even at Clemson Anthony was benched in his sophomore season for these same issues. The kid has a ton of natural ability but his instincts are lacking in a big way, hes guessing more often than not and while at times he may guess right and make a splash play, the norm for him is to guess wrong and end up out of position costing his team.

I also blame the staff but more so for drafting Anthony in the first place. This regime often gets to caught up in Measurables and forgets to consider if the guy is a natural football player ie Stanley Jean Baptiste.

3 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

I also blame the staff but more so for drafting Anthony in the first place. This regime often gets to caught up in Measurables and forgets to consider if the guy is a natural football player ie Stanley Jean Baptiste.

Absolutely!

You hear it every time Payton discusses players. Prototype this, Prototype that, No ************, make sure they fit what the defensive scheme needs.  

The issue is this... Would you keep Anthony whos a former 1st round pick with prototypical size and speed but no instincts or natural feel for the game?

Or do you choose Adam Bighill whos 5'9" 230 lbs with average athleticism but great instincts and a natural feel for the game?

Id actually give the nod to Bighill as the better special teams player of the two and while Anthony has been in the trainers room most of the preseason, Bighill has been busting his you know what and making plays on the field. 

If Payton TRULY wants to get back to what made him successful early on then Bighill will be on this team and Anthony will not.

Remember Pittman vs Thomas???

Archived