sp6488

Fourth Year Player Extensions

Looking at the players we have under contract heading into their fourth seasons, what type of contract extension would you offer or how high would you be comfortable going?  

The following guys will be UFA after this season:

Michael Pierce
Peanut
Matthew Judon

This guy has two years on his rookie deal remaining, but can negotiate a long-term extension as he has passed the three season mark (hence why Marvin isn't included here):

Ronnie Stanley

For Michael Pierce, I think a reasonable landing spot would be $75MM over 6 years with $30MM guaranteed.  The AAV would put him equal to Linval Joseph with two additional years.  He's only 27, so a new deal of that size would take him through his age 32 season.

For reference: https://overthecap.com/position/interior-defensive-line/

I'd be comfortable giving Pierce a $13-14m/year deal, which is about where you've said you'd go to too.  It'd make him the 8th or 9th highest paid interior D-lineman, but everyone ahead of him would be guys with more pass rushing prowess.

Peanut is hard to gauge.  He's really only got less than a season's worth of good play - if that were to continue this year I could definitely see something in the ballpark of $10m/yr being offered.  If that play falls away then it could be an offer as low as $5m/yr and letting him test the market

I don't think I'd offer Judon a contract that he'd accept.  If the money ZaDarius Smith got is anything to go by, I take the chance that Williams/Bowser/Ferguson pick up the slack and let Judon walk