OTA's/Minicamp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

Another deep ball, also to James, easily was knocked away by Ahkello Witherspoon. 

— Witherspoon also had a nice pass breakup on a short attempt to James from Garoppolo in Tuesday’s practice. That’s been a theme this spring. Witherspoon has looked good — he’s has had at least one highlight — in every practice that’s been open to reporters.

What’s more, the plays have been of the aggressive variety with Witherspoon playing tight on receivers and hawking the ball on short throws at or just beyond the line of scrimmage. Perhaps his play, coupled with Richard Sherman’s improved health, encouraged the 49ers to move Tarvarius Moore to safety this spring.

There was no way Moore was going to push Witherspoon for a starting role at cornerback.

-The Athletic

Don't care about it's just OTAs or minicamp or whatever, we're riding hard on the Spoon train this year! 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 1

So was listening to Barrows/Lombardi's podcast and Barrows was asked which player gets the most targets this year, and said Trent Taylor. Interesting. So Taylor over Kittle? Also we can put to rest if Taylor will make the team or not as that is a given now. 

25 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So was listening to Barrows/Lombardi's podcast and Barrows was asked which player gets the most targets this year, and said Trent Taylor. Interesting. So Taylor over Kittle? Also we can put to rest if Taylor will make the team or not as that is a given now. 

Yeah, I read Barrows saying that he looks back and fully healthy and was Jimmy G's favorite target in recent practices. 

Nice to hear Taylor is back 100%. He's a really good slot when healthy. I think. Pettis, Samuel, Goodwin, Taylor, Hurd and Matthews would be the starting 6, if we go with 6. Richie James to the PS. Looks much better compared to last year, at least on paper. 

• Like 2

NBC Sports Bay Area reports Dante Pettis "turned the right heads at 49ers minicamp last week."

"Dante’s body is maturing," Jimmy Garoppolo said. "He’s coming out of breaks with power, he has speed. It doesn’t look like he’s moving very fast but really is. ... He’s different than most guys running." Where Garoppolo praised Pettis' physical improvement, coach Kyle Shanahan noted it on the mental side. "He worked more at his routes and he came here with the idea of ‘Hey, I’m not just coming here to get better back in shape, I’m coming here to get better.’" Sophomore Pettis could emerge as the No. 1 option in the 49ers' up-for-grabs receiver corps

• 3 weeks later...

The closer we get to the season the more confident I am that we are going to be a damn good football team. I just feel it in my bones. It's the same feeling I had before 2011, like everything this franchise has been building towards is finally going to come together. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, N4L said:

The closer we get to the season the more confident I am that we are going to be a damn good football team. I just feel it in my bones. It's the same feeling I had before 2011, like everything this franchise has been building towards is finally going to come together. 

16 games of Garoppolo = 11-5.

>12 games of Beathard/Mullens = 6-10

• Like 3