OTA's/Minicamp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

Just now, Forge said:

This. Let's not forget Fletcher Cox. Hicks has been shredding offenses for a while now, though he's not the pass rushing type specifically. Oh, and there's still Geno out there in Cincy. He's being held down by a truly awful defense around him, but that dude is still amazing. Kenny Clark isn't on the same level as most of these guys, but still high quality. Cam Heyward. Oh, and there's some JJ Watt dude that will still play on the interior or outside. 

Fun note - USA today ranked the top 11 interior defensive linemen in football last month, and Buckner didn't even make that list LOLOL. Which is insane. 

Seriously. The fact that someone like Buckner isn't on that list seems insane to me, but it's also completely understandable because every guy on that list is a stud. Or how about the fact that Sheldon Rankins probably wouldn't be in most peoples top 20. Also forgot that Calais Cambell can kick inside and dominate too. 

1 hour ago, John232 said:

Defo is better than Jones against the run and pass. I'd say Defo is a little more undisciplined than Jones and is susceptible to getting gashed at points..but nothing I've seen from Jones would make me take him over Defo, or even think about it.  

Hicks was a good call, definitely a case to be made for Hicks..though I'd still lean Defo. But that's closer than Defo and Jones imo. 

Conversation also changes a fair amount if we're separating hard nose tackles. 

Edit: My list:

1. Donald

2. Cox

3A Buckner

3B Hicks 

5. Jones

6. Jarrett

7. Kenny Clark

8.Harrison

9 Joseph

10.  Sheldon Rankins

I like this list, but I still feel Buckner is #2 personally. He's largely overlooked around the league because of the team he plays on, and I think people are overly influenced by that. It's why he's criminally underrated, even here. Hell, I had trouble convincing people that Buckner had double digit sack potential when he set a goal of 10 sack 2 years ago.

But as long as Ford, Bosa, and Buckner all stay healthy to play together for a good while, this will change in a heartbeat. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2845840-can-the-49ers-handle-the-pressure

Um, Super Bowl or bust eh? 

Thought this was interesting:

Elsewhere, running back Joe Williams wasn't even on the draft board that same year, and scouts ripped him to shreds for quitting on his team in college. But Shanahan loved him, so the 49ers picked him in the fourth round. Be it Tarvarius Moore (third round, 95th overall in 2018) or Ahkello Witherspoon (third round, 66th overall in 2017) or Kentavius Street (fourth round, 128th overall in 2018) or C.J. Beathard (third round, 104th overall in 2017), this was a common trend. Coaches on staff simply had a greater say in who the 49ers selected. Their voices, their highlight cut-ups have carried more weight.

Some scouts, feeling powerless, are considering leaving when their contracts expire.

Loved hearing this:

The sentiment is contagious. Right down to the most neglected position on the roster these last three years: wide receiver. While multiple NFC scouts rip Garoppolo's receiving corps, calling projected No. 1 Dante Pettis no more than a No. 3 and saying it makes no sense to pour millions into running back while trying to get by on the cheap at receiver, Pettis himself also doesn't hold back.

"Keep thinking that," says Pettis, an eclectic 23-year-old with pink streaks in his hair and a cat peeking around a flower on his T-shirt. "If they want to look at our team and say, 'They don't have a No. 1 receiver,' OK, cool. Don't focus on anybody. Just play defense normally. And we'll pick you apart. I'm completely fine with that."

This was sad reading this, but glad Thomas is in better spirits now:

So six games into the 2018 season, Thomas asked himself, OK, what did I lose? The answer was his passion for life.

Everything felt pointless.

"I just had nothing there," Thomas says. "I was like, 'I really don't care about this. I really don't care about life anymore.'"

And Lynch knew. Lynch, the one who took that class with Thomas, who drafted Thomas, who knew Thomas the person, could tell he had transformed into somebody else when no one else could. So that week in the cafeteria, the 49ers GM pulled Thomas aside to ask if he wanted help, if he wanted to see a therapist, and that's when it hit him. He couldn't do this alone.

"I was about to break," Thomas says. "And that week I was about to break is when John came up to me."

When you say "break," what do you mean?

"I didn't want to be here anymore. I don't know. I don't know exactly what I mean by that."

As in, stepping away from football?

"Football. Life. I don't know. I legit didn't. … That conversation probably saved my life, to be honest. I was in a really dark, dark place then."

Are we talking the same thoughts Ella had?

"Yeah. Yeah. ... I was going through it. But yeah..."

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2845840-can-the-49ers-handle-the-pressure

Um, Super Bowl or bust eh? 

Thought this was interesting:

Loved hearing this:

This was sad reading this, but glad Thomas is in better spirits now:

Speaking on the "thought this was interesting" part - I actually think that is pretty terrifying. Witherspoon is the most stable of that group of players, and that's really saying something. If true, seems like pretty sure signals that the strategy doesn't work. Or at least needs some significant tweaking. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Speaking on the "thought this was interesting" part - I actually think that is pretty terrifying. Witherspoon is the most stable of that group of players, and that's really saying something. If true, seems like pretty sure signals that the strategy doesn't work. Or at least needs some significant tweaking. 

Interesting that the scouts are thinking of leaving right when the contract expires.

I've already made it known I don't like how Shanahan falls in love with certain offensive players and forces unnecessary trade ups. 

Can't really say anything on the Street or Moore picks yet, but had no problem with the Spoon pick. 

53 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Interesting that the scouts are thinking of leaving right when the contract expires.

I've already made it known I don't like how Shanahan falls in love with certain offensive players and forces unnecessary trade ups. 

Can't really say anything on the Street or Moore picks yet, but had no problem with the Spoon pick. 

I really liked the Witherspoon pick, but it is fair to say he has been up and down with not a great deal of success. And the fact that he is far and away the best of that group suggests that it is not a terrific strategy. 

9 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I really liked the Witherspoon pick, but it is fair to say he has been up and down with not a great deal of success. And the fact that he is far and away the best of that group suggests that it is not a terrific strategy. 

I mean sure, but bigger problem is Shanahan's unnecessary trade ups. 

Seems like the scouts also just listed pretty much every mid round pick that hasn't succeeded yet to show it wasn't their fault, but Lynch/Shanny's fault lol. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean sure, but bigger problem is Shanahan's unnecessary trade ups. 

Seems like the scouts also just listed pretty much every mid round pick that hasn't succeeded yet to show it wasn't their fault, but Lynch/Shanny's fault lol. 

This is a great point by the way. Could just be a couple pissed off guys.

also worth noting BR has not had a great relationship with the 49ers.

the Solomon Thomas thing screams “not me”. After Myles Garrett there was no discernible” next guy “and there were plenty of people who thought he was worth a top 5 pick. 

But the tunnel vision this team gets with certain guys is apparent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John232 said:

This is a great point by the way. Could just be a couple pissed off guys.

also worth noting BR has not had a great relationship with the 49ers.

the Solomon Thomas thing screams “not me”. After Myles Garrett there was no discernible” next guy “and there were plenty of people who thought he was worth a top 5 pick. 

But the tunnel vision this team gets with certain guys is apparent.

I don't doubt the scouts may have disagreed with a pick here and there, but the main reason it hurts them is if the picks don't pan out, then opposing teams will not try to hire them. So I get it in a sense, but seemed real curious how they listed every unproven or bust mid round pick, but did not mention Kittle. Or was it that the scouts just LOVED him and knew he would be an all pro caliber player? 

There is no question our draft process thus far has been a bit suspect. Not just players that end up busting or don't get up making it, but with all the trade ups, ignoring injury/character issues etc. Just thought it was convenient of how that part was written and how the scout deflected all blame for those picks. 

53 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Not sure how credible the article is but the part about Thomas not being highly thought of amongst the scouts at the time and them not even considering QW, with Bosa being Lynch's guy all along is absolutely cringe worthy.

I actually remember hearing chatter at the time that a number of NFL people didn't consider him a top five prospect, and some not even a top ten guy, but the potential was insane. 

Middlekauff, from a media standpoint was dead on when he said he wouldn't take him that high because he didn't see a defensive end