OTA's/Minicamp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

25 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Wow hahah

I noticed on hard knocks that he was wearing the old style helmet. I thought it was very odd considering he's had a major concussion in the past and how far helmet technology has come over the last few years. 

He already has the helmet in possession and it's already been repainted, so I don't see why the raiders wouldn't allow this. 

The fact it's a headline at all means someone in the building is already fed up with him. 

1 minute ago, N4L said:

I noticed on hard knocks that he was wearing the old style helmet. I thought it was very odd considering he's had a major concussion in the past and how far helmet technology has come over the last few years. 

He already has the helmet in possession and it's already been repainted, so I don't see why the raiders wouldn't allow this. 

The fact it's a headline at all means someone in the building is already fed up with him. 

I think they have a policy in place now that prohibts certain helmets if they don't meet certain collision criteria. I remember Staley speaking about it before TC last year that they outlawed his old helmet and he had to find a new model. Don't know if this is what's going on with AB but certain helmets have been banned if they haven't passed the new testing they have in place.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

I think they have a policy in place now that prohibts certain helmets if they don't meet certain collision criteria. I remember Staley speaking about it before TC last year that they outlawed his old helmet and he had to find a new model. Don't know if this is what's going on with AB but certain helmets have been banned if they haven't passed the new testing they have in place.

Makes perfect sense. I do remember seeing that about Brady too. 

Then AB needs to take it up with the league office lol what does he expect them to do

8 hours ago, John232 said:

No, I wanted us to lose lol.

Same. Did not make sense to win that game. Same with the Bosa situation. Fortunately 49ers lucked out the 2nd time around despite being in the same unfavorable circumstance.

Sometimes as a fan, you have to separate emotions and business. :)

Edited by PapaShogun

6 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Same. Did not make sense to win that game. Same with the Bosa situation. Fortunately 49ers lucked out the 2nd time around despite being in the same unfavorable circumstance.

Sometimes as a fan, you have to separate emotions and business. :)

Wholeheartedly disagree. As a fan, I want to win. Period. I never want us tanking...this isn't the NBA. As much as I liked Garrett, at the end of the day, I want us to win as much as humanly possible. You don't play to secure better draft position. I just feel like that's never the answer. The Browns have been picking top 10 since forever and they're just now getting their heads out of their a$$. Everything else will work itself out. I've always maintained, its not where you pick but who you pick. If we had drafted Mahomes or Adams, no one would be here lamenting how we didn't get a chance to draft Garrett. But because Thomas hasn't been the player most of us expected, its easy to play devil's advocate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

Wholeheartedly disagree. As a fan, I want to win. Period. I never want us tanking...this isn't the NBA. As much as I liked Garrett, at the end of the day, I want us to win as much as humanly possible. You don't play to secure better draft position. I just feel like that's never the answer. The Browns have been picking top 10 since forever and they're just now getting their heads out of their a$$. Everything else will work itself out. I've always maintained, its not where you pick but who you pick. If we had drafted Mahomes or Adams, no one would be here lamenting how we didn't get a chance to draft Garrett. But because Thomas hasn't been the player most of us expected, its easy to play devil's advocate.

I mean that's fine. I understand why you feel that way. 

It depends on the situation, but I'd say most times if a win is going to make the difference between you getting someone at a premium difference maker position (QB, DE, CB) like Andrew Luck, and you need a QB desperately, and the chirp is that said dude is a multi generational talent, even if he might not work out are you going to root for you team to beat the Jaguars in week 17 (like they almost did)? That wouldn't have helped the Colts. The worst thing that happens is that Luck doesn't work out, and you are back to square one. And if Griffin III, or Tannehill became better players (they were picked later), I still think that is a better scenario to be in the position to take who you want, miss, compared to not having the chance to take who you want in the first place. 

Yeah, the Browns have been picking in the top 10 for a while, unlike the Colts. They've also just now selected a QB in the top ten since nearly 20 years ago. And I can't remember the last time they selected an edge rusher that high. Two premium positions that make huge differences, especially if they both work out. 

Also, I'm talking about a fan's perspective in terms of what circumstance I want to happen. Obviously players and coaches will always play to win every game because they couldn't care less about draft position. They have jobs to secure. But as a fan, I want what I feel is the best scenario to play out for the team. Winning meaningless games at the end of the year that might cause the 49ers to miss out a quality contributor for years to come isn't optimal to me. I mean, I don't think that win over the Rams improved our team compared to what Garrett would do for us later, and I felt that way at the time. If the 49ers had picked Mahommes, great. Even before I knew what type of player he was, he would have filled a need at the most important spot. Wouldn't have been up in arms about it. 

Edited by PapaShogun

6 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I thoroughly enjoyed a rare win over the Seahawks AND enjoyed picking the best player in the draft who also played a need position AND didn't give myself an ulcer worrying about any of it. A triple win!

• Like 6