OTA's/Minicamp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

On 2019-08-10 at 7:20 AM, 757-NINER said:

Wholeheartedly disagree. As a fan, I want to win. Period. I never want us tanking...this isn't the NBA. As much as I liked Garrett, at the end of the day, I want us to win as much as humanly possible. You don't play to secure better draft position. I just feel like that's never the answer. The Browns have been picking top 10 since forever and they're just now getting their heads out of their a$$. Everything else will work itself out. I've always maintained, its not where you pick but who you pick. If we had drafted Mahomes or Adams, no one would be here lamenting how we didn't get a chance to draft Garrett. But because Thomas hasn't been the player most of us expected, its easy to play devil's advocate.

I understand wanting to lose from a fan's perspective, I respect that. Fans want the next championship, not just the next win. But as a fan, I don't want players or coaches who don't want to win every game. I don't think it's okay for an athlete to think it's remotely okay not to try his hardest to win a game, when that's his job. When you accept that mentality that it's okay to lose a game, or not try your hardest, who's to say you're not going to start thinking that in other situations? "Oh, we're leading by 10, it's okay to take a play off", then bam, the other team comes back and you lose the game. On the other hand, if a coach knows that a win means nothing, it's the last game of the season, and he wants to test a few underused players in a live game context, then go for that. If that diminished roster results in a loss, then so be it. You've at least gained something more valuable than a win, in many cases: knowledge. The players themselves should do their best to win. Always. If they don't, they don't deserve to be professional athletes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John232 said:

I called Sam young months ago, too easy to predict shanny 

I'm actually slightly surprised. I really thought the guy would have been Schraeder given his past success and history with Shanny. Of course, he may not be amenable to taking a tiny deal as a back up even if he's no longer truly starting quality. 

45 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm actually slightly surprised. I really thought the guy would have been Schraeder given his past success and history with Shanny. Of course, he may not be amenable to taking a tiny deal as a back up even if he's no longer truly starting quality. 

I'm more surprised it's not Gilliam. That seemed like a no-brainer to go back to the guy who was here the last 2 years in this exact role.

But I will live with Sam Young. Hard not to be an improvement over Beavers.

9 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I'm more surprised it's not Gilliam. That seemed like a no-brainer to go back to the guy who was here the last 2 years in this exact role.

But I will live with Sam Young. Hard not to be an improvement over Beavers.

DSKCgW.gif

If something happens with Young, here is another option that should be an improvement over Beavers. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, John232 said:

I called Sam young months ago, too easy to predict shanny 

What made you predict Sam Young? He has never played for Shanny and he isn't necessarily a great fit for our offense at this point in his career. He has lost a lot of the athletic ability that he had when he was younger.

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

Yes, the dreaded flat-footed Beavers native of Western Michigan are the ones you really don't want around. 

It's ok if they're linebackers. Then they can cut people down to size. At tackle, it's more about standing your ground, and we all know Beavers be livin' that lodge life. No need to hold up in the open if you don't have to.

13 hours ago, Forge said:

I really liked Spriggs coming out. Thought we'd look at him after GB dumped him.