OTA's/Minicamp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yes, I know.  It's not really what I was referring to in and of itself. More or less the same of wide 9 we will be incorporating, and the fact that Greenlaw will have a good shot at the roster

With the linebackers we have on our roster, he was always going to make it lol

I posted that because Kyle said that WIL and SAM will be more interchangeable than they have been in the past. So greenlaw playing SAM isn't as strange as it would have sounded the day they drafted him. 

Idk why we are telegraphing the move to wide 9 so much. We shouldnt say anything about it until we show it on the field in week 1. I wouldn't even want us to do anything with it in the preseason, but I guess that's just me. It does help to get some reps in against other offenses though, so I get it. 

Do we have any joint practices lined up? 

12 minutes ago, N4L said:

With the linebackers we have on our roster, he was always going to make it lol

I posted that because Kyle said that WIL and SAM will be more interchangeable than they have been in the past. So greenlaw playing SAM isn't as strange as it would have sounded the day they drafted him. 

Idk why we are telegraphing the move to wide 9 so much. We shouldnt say anything about it until we show it on the field in week 1. I wouldn't even want us to do anything with it in the preseason, but I guess that's just me. It does help to get some reps in against other offenses though, so I get it. 

Do we have any joint practices lined up? 

Joint practices with the Broncos I believe

4 minutes ago, Gravity said:

Do any successful NFL defenses use the wide 9 right now?

17 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Not a fan of the Wide 9...we shall see

To me Wide 9 simply means the DE is aligned outside the TE and the off ball LB likely has the inside leverage and run fill responsibility. How successful it is depends on the personnel. I can see Dee Ford and Bosa playing it well, I can see AA and Thomas not playing it well - but maybe they line up on the weak side of the oline where they'd still be in a 5 technique. 

I trust our off ball LB's to have more responsibility if thats what this leads to. it's really a wait and see who thrives scenario for me.

2 hours ago, Justone2 said:

Eagles

This is the one that immediately came to mind for me. Schwartz has long been a proponent of it, and honestly, his defenses have always performed somewhat well. 

Detroit has used it for several years. Obviously, they haven't had a ton of success with it, but you could also say that's because they lack actual talent on the defensive side of the football. I mean, their defense has essentially been Ziggy and Slay and then a bunch of meh guys. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

This is the one that immediately came to mind for me. Schwartz has long been a proponent of it, and honestly, his defenses have always performed somewhat well. 

Detroit has used it for several years. Obviously, they haven't had a ton of success with it, but you could also say that's because they lack actual talent on the defensive side of the football. I mean, their defense has essentially been Ziggy and Slay and then a bunch of meh guys. 

yeah the talent he has to work with in Philly def helps.  I was curious one day about the wide nine and how it fared for Jim so I looked up the numbers. He was in Det 2009-2013

In this order(Total yards, rush yards, pass yards)

2009: 32nd/25th/32nd

2010: 21st/24th/16th

2011: 23rd/23rd/22nd

2012: 13th/16th/14th

2013: 16th/6th/23rd

His lone year in Buffalo:

2014: 4th/11th/3rd - Jim had a lot of talent to work with in Buffalo. 

In philly:

2016: 13th/15th/13th

2017: 4th/1st/17th - Won SB

2018: 23rd/7th/30th - I know they have some ballers on that d line so being ranked top ten in run def is that because of the talent there or just because their secondary was flat out terrible/ they played a ton of off man which drives me crazy. 

• Like 1

The question I have is, will we be going all-out with the wide 9, or we'll just incorporate the wide 9 to what we're already doing? I don't mind using it under certain circumstances, if it fits our talent and our opponent. But against other teams, it may not be the best, but then, we've ran the 4-3 under for two years, so it's not hard to switch back. I like versatility. I hope we use versatility, rather than pin our hopes to a single scheme for the whole year, just to re-evaluate it in january. Hopefully, our D is great and we'll only have to re-evaluate it in february.

2 hours ago, rudyZ said:

The question I have is, will we be going all-out with the wide 9, or we'll just incorporate the wide 9 to what we're already doing? I don't mind using it under certain circumstances, if it fits our talent and our opponent. But against other teams, it may not be the best, but then, we've ran the 4-3 under for two years, so it's not hard to switch back. I like versatility. I hope we use versatility, rather than pin our hopes to a single scheme for the whole year, just to re-evaluate it in january. Hopefully, our D is great and we'll only have to re-evaluate it in february.

It seems with the hiring of Koureck(m/s), we've basically gone head first with the Wide 9. From the reports, this isn't a situational nor a personnel package thing. Its a full-time thing, which Im not sure is the best move but hey, what do I know. I was hoping we would incorporate it some, in the nickel, and then gradually implement it more as we found success with it. But it seems we've fully invested in the change and will hit the ground running..

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

I think Thomas - playing in his correct position, and a year removed from the tragedy with his sister- is really going to surprise people this year. He'll never be #3 overall good, but he can be a good player on the inside, and especially on this line.

• Like 4