OTA's/Minicamp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

9 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I have no issues cross-training players. Like I said, its a given in certain respects. But I feel young players who are already raw and/or are still learning and developing, need to stick to one position, hone their skills, and then can start to be moved around for scheme versatility. Flipping-flopping young players can stunt development, more times than not. What worked for Lynch as a player nearly 2 decades ago should not be the litmus test for all DBs he acquires but I digress...

When Moore was drafted, Lynch made a off-hand comment about knowing Moore could play safety but it was our DB coach at the time who liked Moore as a CB(and so did I frankly) and convinced them to draft him as a CB. Now if Woods prefers moving Moore back to FS because he thinks it benefits Moore as a player and the scheme, Im all for it. But again, if this was the plan, why not bit the ground running from jump? Reed is on the shelf until TC. You were already down one 'cross-trained' DB. So why wasn't Moore playing safety last week if this was the plan? It wasn't until Ward went down that the sudden urge to have Moore move to FS emerges. There's nothing alarmist about questioning the roster management of this regime, as they have dropped the ball repeatedly since taking over. I have a problem with them not being prepared for something most of this fanbase saw coming. I have probably defended Lynch more than most fans but I'm also critical when I believe he warrants it. And from the outside, looking in, it appears as if they really didn't have a plan for Ward's injury. And that should give us all a reason to be alarmist, since Ward and his abilities@FS were the reasons we were given as to why this front office failed to address a position most of us saw as a glaring need. Now the potential and abilities of Moore@FS? Didn't hear that mention not once when Lynch was defending his stance to not draft a safety, post-draft. Just him reiterating how much they really liked Ward and Colbert and how confident they were in their abilities, going forward. It just looks, once again, like we're being reactive instead of proactive...that irks me more than anything. 

First off, before I say (or read) anything, i want to apologize for my tone. I was more frustrated with 49ers twitter /r/49ers and everything else. Inordinate amount of back lash a positive report garnered. 

I definitely agree with you on the first part. Especially as it pertains to this regime, but I don't really see this as being something even remotely worth criticising, especially since Moore did fine as a rookie CB and if this trend continues, may be the answer at FS. 

As for "why didn't they move him earlier" I don't think they were necessarily going too, but I think every NFL staff thinks beyond the immediate depth chart guys and given it's just OTA's, they're in no rush to go and sign some random body off the street and to then count on their being any upside. I think they always had Ward and Colbert as the guys, Exum being the third safety for both spots and then Moore being the next guy up in some capacity. That's my point, I don't think they used a magic marker and penned him in at FS3, but I think the whole defensive coaching staff is aware of Moore's previous experience and it's a pretty logical transition. 

• Like 2

There’s been a lot of talk about Solomon Thomas playing more on the inside this season. However, in the two practices that have been open to the media, he’s gotten the bulk of his snaps at defensive end. Perhaps Thomas is needed more at end during these practices because Nick Bosa is out with a hamstring injury.

Even more surprising when it comes to defensive-line repetitions: Sheldon Day took a lot of repetitions next to DeForest Buckner on the inside on Wednesday. Day is a shorter, smallish interior player who is good against the pass. But, boy, he got moved pretty easily when he was double teamed by a guard and center on running plays. The 49ers have focused their defense on stopping the pass this season

I don't know why one person would make that the case but who knows

10 hours ago, Forge said:

I don't know why one person would make that the case but who knows

Its OTAs so I'm not going get too up in arms over it but its not news most of us around here are thrilled to hear. 

And I firmly expect Day NOT to make the 53 so whatever he does is of no significance really...

Edited by 757-NINER

4 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Its OTAs so I'm not going get too up in arms over it but its not news most of us around here are thrilled to here. 

And I firmly expect Day NOT make the 53 so whatever he does is of no significance really...

Day could be interesting. Think he's definitely got an uphill battle, but he's probably the best pass rushing three tech we have behind Buckner. If we do keep Solly at end, and armstead is a JOAT, I could see day sticking around. Still an uphill battle though

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/05/30/what-we-heard-from-49ers-defensive-coaches-kris-kocurek-joe-woods/ 

. What to make of Tarvarius Moore’s switch back to safety from cornerback?

“The thing you have to be careful of with guys like that, is that you don’t try to get too much out of them. Same thing with Jimmie (Ward). If you thin them out too much, they really don’t grow into a position.

“So early on, I definitely wanted to work with him at corner. And he was coming along at corner. But with the injury to Jimmie, we just felt it was the best thing for the team and for him to move him back to safety, because it was his natural position. First day he came out, interception. I love everything he can do athletically.”

So that settles it then, Moore was only moved out of necessity. 

Worth reading. Based on what woods says about Colbert, sounds like he will be given more than a long look at FS this off-season. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Forge said:

Day could be interesting. Think he's definitely got an uphill battle, but he's probably the best pass rushing three tech we have behind Buckner. If we do keep Solly at end, and armstead is a JOAT, I could see day sticking around. Still an uphill battle though

Worth noting that the new D-Line coach said that in this Wide 9 scheme, we won't employ the typical NT. He says that he prefers them lighter, quicker and more explosive. He mentioned Day and Taylor as guys who fit the bill of what he's looking for, as far as penetrating and getting upfield. While I do like the agressive, pentrating style at times, I feel like we're going to get dragged and run through if he plays guys like Day@NT. Its sounds more like play-the-run-on-your-way-to-the-passer kind of deal that rarely if ever works.

Edited by 757-NINER

Moore 10000% to me looks like a better safety than corner. I remember just his one on one reps from training camp last year that he didn't have natural CB movement. He has very nice deep speed but wasn't able to change directions well enough to be a corner. I'm excited to see him get some time at FS throughout the offseason. He could end up being our answer at FS. 

PFF just wrote an article about the position switch and how much better he was in college at FS than he was at CB. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-49ers-defensive-overhaul-could-benefit-second-year-safety-tarvarius-moore

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Moore 10000% to me looks like a better safety than corner. I remember just his one on one reps from training camp last year that he didn't have natural CB movement. He has very nice deep speed but wasn't able to change directions well enough to be a corner. I'm excited to see him get some time at FS throughout the offseason. He could end up being our answer at FS. 

PFF just wrote an article about the position switch and how much better he was in college at FS than he was at CB. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-49ers-defensive-overhaul-could-benefit-second-year-safety-tarvarius-moore

Like I've said his college film tells another story. I dont know what PFF was grading him on but he looked nothing like a guy who graded that high from his film...

YouTube had at least three more of his games up when he was a prospect but this is the only one I could find now. Judge for yourself but like I said, I wasn't impressed at all. Not very instinctive or heady. Horrible tackler who got run over in and around the box. And he seemed late on reads/breaking to the ball. Hopefully he proves me wrong and is the next great FS but I really thought he was going to be fine@CB once he gained more experience. We shall see...

Edited by 757-NINER

15 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Like I've said his college film tells another story. I dont know what PFF was grading him on but he looked nothing like a guy who graded that high from his film...

YouTube had at least three more of his games up when he was a prospect but this is the only one I could find now. Judge for yourself but like I said, I wasn't impressed at all. Not very instinctive or heady. Horrible tackler who got run over in and around the box. And he seemed late on reads/breaking to the ball. Hopefully he proves me wrong and is the next great FS but I really thought he was going to be fine@CB once he gained more experience. We shall see...

Point blank he just doesn't have CB movement. He's not able to flip his hips well enough and doesn't change directions well enough. Run a bunch of go routes against him? And he will be just fine. Everything else? Will be a problem.

His athleticism suits him better coming downhill and in open space. He may not end up being successful at FS, but he has a better chance of becoming a good one there then at CB IMO. 

28 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Point blank he just doesn't have CB movement. He's not able to flip his hips well enough and doesn't change directions well enough. Run a bunch of go routes against him? And he will be just fine. Everything else? Will be a problem.

His athleticism suits him better coming downhill and in open space. He may not end up being successful at FS, but he has a better chance of becoming a good one there then at CB IMO. 

Disagree in regards to his fluidity@CB. There are a bunch of CB less fluid/more stiff than Moore who have had success in the league. I've seen alot worst than Moore in that regard. Its all about how he is used, in certain coverages, against certain looks, and how he is asked to play, technique-wise, that would have ultimately determined his success out wide. We'll never know now, how successful he may have been. But what I do know is that it is much harder to hide the faults he has@FS than the stiffness he displayed@CB. 

Edited by 757-NINER

5 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Disagree in regards to his fluidity@CB. There are a bunch of CB less fluid/more stiff than Moore who have had success in the league. I've seen alot worst than Moore in that regard. Its all about how he is used, in certain coverages, against certain looks, and how he is asked to play, technique-wise, that would have ultimately determined his success out wide. We'll never know now, how successful he may have been. But what I do know is that it is much harder to hide the faults he has@FS than the stiffness he displayed@CB. 

I don't know what you are disagreeing with to be honest. I mean it was clear as day when watching those one on one reps in training camp last year. Any comeback route or post route he really struggled defending. 

Again, he may not end up being successful at FS, but I like his chances better there. I'm glad the switch happened so early in the offseason and not at some point at training camp. Moore now gets to learn the position in this scheme and we will get to see how he looks in a few months when training camp starts up.