OTA's/Minicamp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, John232 said:

This is a great point by the way. Could just be a couple pissed off guys.

also worth noting BR has not had a great relationship with the 49ers.

the Solomon Thomas thing screams “not me”. After Myles Garrett there was no discernible” next guy “and there were plenty of people who thought he was worth a top 5 pick. 

But the tunnel vision this team gets with certain guys is apparent.

If you disregarded the quarterbacks (important), I thought he was right on that borderline top five. I wasn't a fan of that qb class, as most may remember, but we did need one, and if you were going to take a franchise guy, it was going to have to be there. 

I liked hooker and Adams more, but the positional value was hard to swallow a bit there for me. Same for lattimore. I really liked him, wasn't sure he was Patrick Peterson with a top three pick good, though. Most remember I absolutely loved Barnett, had mentioned before that I would take him top five, but I was pretty sure from a league standpoint that would have been less than ideal. They definitely didn't love him as much as I did, so that would have been a trade down guy. 

I thought the Thomas pick was fine. I made the same in shadow draft, even though I readily admitted he wasn't my number two lol

10 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't doubt the scouts may have disagreed with a pick here and there, but the main reason it hurts them is if the picks don't pan out, then opposing teams will not try to hire them. So I get it in a sense, but seemed real curious how they listed every unproven or bust mid round pick, but did not mention Kittle. Or was it that the scouts just LOVED him and knew he would be an all pro caliber player? 

There is no question our draft process thus far has been a bit suspect. Not just players that end up busting or don't get up making it, but with all the trade ups, ignoring injury/character issues etc. Just thought it was convenient of how that part was written and how the scout deflected all blame for those picks. 

They were fair - they mentioned Kittle and Warner as picks identified by coaches:

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/nfl-rumors-kyle-shanahan-john-lynch-have-demoralized-49ers-scouts

9 hours ago, Forge said:

I actually remember hearing chatter at the time that a number of NFL people didn't consider him a top five prospect, and some not even a top ten guy, but the potential was insane. 

Middlekauff, from a media standpoint was dead on when he said he wouldn't take him that high because he didn't see a defensive end

Im mainly talking about our scouting department. I could care less what any other scout has to say outside of our organization. I took it as the author was saying our scouts really didn't like him.

3 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Im mainly talking about our scouting department. I could care less what any other scout has to say outside of our organization. I took it as the author was saying our scouts really didn't like him.

Your understanding is correct. The scouts were allegedly not on board:

"A handful of 49ers scouts who watched Thomas in person several times never viewed him as a top-five pick," Dunne wrote, "and the former staffer cannot recall one serious conversation about taking a quarterback."

Hard to tell how true this is, especially given the "handful" qualifier, which could really just mean a small portion of the group is salty that their work wasn't valued as strongly. I mean, I am sure there were a "handful" of scouts who have disagreed with every great draft pick that was ever made. What is more important (and information that is left out) is the number that agreed he was a top 5 pick. If we're talking about something like '20 scouts thought he was, but 5 did not' then this is the most non-story there is. I'm sure a "handful" of scouts didn't think Buckner was a top 10 pick, but nobody is going to volunteer that information now because it won't boost their supposed credibility. 

5 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Your understanding is correct. The scouts were allegedly not on board:

"A handful of 49ers scouts who watched Thomas in person several times never viewed him as a top-five pick," Dunne wrote, "and the former staffer cannot recall one serious conversation about taking a quarterback."

Hard to tell how true this is, especially given the "handful" qualifier, which could really just mean a small portion of the group is salty that their work wasn't valued as strongly. I mean, I am sure there were a "handful" of scouts who have disagreed with every great draft pick that was ever made. What is more important (and information that is left out) is the number that agreed he was a top 5 pick. If we're talking about something like '20 scouts thought he was, but 5 did not' then this is the most non-story there is. I'm sure a "handful" of scouts didn't think Buckner was a top 10 pick, but nobody is going to volunteer that information now because it won't boost their supposed credibility. 

Correct.

LIS, I fully get it from the scouts perspective that when picks bust, it is a bad look on them and it prevents them from climbing up the ranks. However, if Thomas would have been an pro bowler from day one, no one would have said that was the coaches pick and we didn't think Thomas was a top 5 prospect. 

Anyways, will today finally be the day that Samuel signs his deal??

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Correct.

LIS, I fully get it from the scouts perspective that when picks bust, it is a bad look on them and it prevents them from climbing up the ranks. However, if Thomas would have been an pro bowler from day one, no one would have said that was the coaches pick and we didn't think Thomas was a top 5 prospect. 

Anyways, will today finally be the day that Samuel signs his deal??

my guess is bosa and Samuel sign tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:
4 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

One tomorrow. One Saturday morning. That's my guess.

You are a complete moron. Both signed today. 

Idiot.

I'm going to have to give you a warning. We don't talk to posters that way. 

Archived