OTA's/Minicamp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I've always been higher on Spoon than most. People forget he ended the year allowing like 9 catches in 24 or so targets. He just had like four or five suspect penalties going against him during that stretch. 

Yeah, they got him on a few ticky tacky PI calls late in the year. Meanwhile Sherman gets the benefit of every call, like he has his whole career. Its part of the reason I am worried about the new challenge rule. 

Every time they call a PI on sherm, I always yell "WHERE WAS THAT CALL IN 2012?"

47 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

NBC bay area said they expect Ward to be the starting FS..please no.

Not to be rude, but who else were you expecting at this point? The choices don't necessarily get better from there. On a defense playing extremely well at this point in camp, Colbert is still proving to be the guy who takes terrible angles on deep passes where he is the last line of defense. And then there's...umm... Exum.

The best hope is Moore picking up the nuances of an NFL safety by the end of camp (he admitted yesterday he's far more comfortable at safety,  so that's a good start), but I don't fault NBC Bay Area for predicting Ward over him just because there's not enough info yet.

As Forge mentioned in our podcast (which yes, I intend to plug often), and as many of us have agreed throughout the offseason, the team really put itself in a terrible safety situation by betting on the health of Jimmie Ward and guys we already have here. But at this point in the year, how is Ward not the favorite? Or rather...who else are we going to have there?

Best case scenario is Moore becomes the guy at FS, and I think there's a chance. Saleh was quick yesterday to pump the brakes on people reading too much into him playing with the first team defense yesterday in practice, but Moore certainly has the physical gifts necessary to be the team's eraser.  That's the most hopeful I will allow myself to be regarding the Safety position this year. 

Ward just better not be the guy in 2020. 

15 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Not to be rude, but who else were you expecting at this point? The choices don't necessarily get better from there. On a defense playing extremely well at this point in camp, Colbert is still proving to be the guy who takes terrible angles on deep passes where he is the last line of defense. And then there's...umm... Exum.

The best hope is Moore picking up the nuances of an NFL safety by the end of camp (he admitted yesterday he's far more comfortable at safety,  so that's a good start), but I don't fault NBC Bay Area for predicting Ward over him just because there's not enough info yet.

As Forge mentioned in our podcast (which yes, I intend to plug often), and as many of us have agreed throughout the offseason, the team really put itself in a terrible safety situation by betting on the health of Jimmie Ward and guys we already have here. But at this point in the year, how is Ward not the favorite? Or rather...who else are we going to have there?

Best case scenario is Moore becomes the guy at FS, and I think there's a chance. Saleh was quick yesterday to pump the brakes on people reading too much into him playing with the first team defense yesterday in practice, but Moore certainly has the physical gifts necessary to be the team's eraser.  That's the most hopeful I will allow myself to be regarding the Safety position this year. 

Ward just better not be the guy in 2020. 

That's pretty rude but I am going to let it slide..just kidding.

Well my hope is what you stated that Moore does a good enough job during camp/pre season and the staff decides that its better to leave him there.

I always liked Ward just never liked him at CB and add the fact that he's made of glass.

2 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

That's pretty rude but I am going to let it slide..just kidding.

Well my hope is what you stated that Moore does a good enough job during camp/pre season and the staff decides that its better to leave him there.

I always liked Ward just never liked him at CB and add the fact that he's made of glass.

Good news is the team is expected to leave Moore at safety other than perhaps emergency scenarios where he might be needed at cornerback. The best change in the defensive backfield this year will most likely be Coach Woods replacing Hafley. Apparently Hafley is the one responsible for Moore playing out of position at CB (or is at least the one getting tossed under the bus). I think with Moore actually acknowledging he's more comfortable there that there's a low likelihood he will be moved back to corner. So that's a good start.

So we are hearing the defense has been dominant for the most part in camp and the pass rush has been unstoppable. That's great to hear and all, but I really hope we implement a lot of cover 2 man-under this season. I think I heard Crocker say we still run mainly a cover 3 but mix up some 2-man sets. If you can get to the QB with your front four without blitzing and have LBs quick enough to cover opposing RBs and TEs, then this is by far the best defense IMO. Obviously it was and is the staple of Fangio's defenses but it is very effective. It prevents big plays and just need solid enough corners on the outside....Which I think we do have. Simply put, we don't have a FS that could effectively play single high for long stretches of the game. But there are advantages running cover 3 of course, just prefer 2-man with the type of personnel we have. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So we are hearing the defense has been dominant for the most part in camp and the pass rush has been unstoppable. That's great to hear and all, but I really hope we implement a lot of cover 2 man-under this season. I think I heard Crocker say we still run mainly a cover 3 but mix up some 2-man sets. If you can get to the QB with your front four without blitzing and have LBs quick enough to cover opposing RBs and TEs, then this is by far the best defense IMO. Obviously it was and is the staple of Fangio's defenses but it is very effective. It prevents big plays and just need solid enough corners on the outside....Which I think we do have. Simply put, we don't have a FS that could effectively play single high for long stretches of the game. But there are advantages running cover 3 of course, just prefer 2-man with the type of personnel we have. 

I agree with all of this. That will ultimately be a huge help to the guy stuck at FS which is the only spot on the defense I am truly concerned about.

58 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Ninerswire has an article about Bosa's first day of camp and Staley says Bosa beat him 3 times! He says the way Bosa uses his hips makes him tough to block. :x

So glad I got his jersey already! B|

did you tape over your old Bryant Young jersey? lol

Archived