OTA's/Minicamp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

30 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Um, I feel like this isn't ideal lol. Though we have invested some solid draft capital on WRs the last few years. 

I’m one of the few defenders of the juice contract, but McKinnon blows this up. 

Still not good and probably not going to change for a while.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Um, I feel like this isn't ideal lol. Though we have invested some solid draft capital on WRs the last few years. 

Well, this is largely because the only WR we have on a veteran salary is Goodwin (assuming that Matthews doesn't make the team). It helps that the WRs are on 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 7th, and/or undrafted rookie contracts. Whereas we have three backs on veteran players. 

Not saying that the veteran RB contracts are good. They aren't (outside of Coleman). But I don't think we're spending more on backs than WRs because of value, more because of how young the WR corps is. 

17 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Well, this is largely because the only WR we have on a veteran salary is Goodwin (assuming that Matthews doesn't make the team). It helps that the WRs are on 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 7th, and/or undrafted rookie contracts. Whereas we have three backs on veteran players. 

Not saying that the veteran RB contracts are good. They aren't (outside of Coleman). But I don't think we're spending more on backs than WRs because of value, more because of how young the WR corps is. 

And missing out on OBJ. 

8 hours ago, John232 said:

I’m one of the few defenders of the juice contract, but McKinnon blows this up. 

Still not good and probably not going to change for a while.

I'm with you on Juice's contract. The guy is a Swiss Army Knife. Jet I was okay with...note the past tense. It looks like it may be time to put him on the IR and say goodbye next year. Front loaded contracts sure are easier to manage. 

So all the talk after free agency/draft was how we didn't really address the free safety position and the secondary in general. But what was lost in those talks was how we didn't do anything with our OL depth, and in particular the IOL. This is a pretty damn big area of concern heading into the season. 

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So all the talk after free agency/draft was how we didn't really address the free safety position and the secondary in general. But what was lost in those talks was how we didn't do anything with our OL depth, and in particular the IOL. This is a pretty damn big area of concern heading into the season. 

Probably because our starters at safety were a huge question mark in general. At least with the interior line we had decent "starters" on paper. Of course, Richburg is hurt along with Mike Person getting nicked a little. Folks weren't thinking about that happening a few months ago. At least Jimmy with those several starts in 2017 was playing effectively behind a patchwork offensive line. Not that that should be the standard.

Hopefully early in the draft next year the OL takes prominence. Don't see Tomlinson, and Person as long term starters. They're both coming off career years, but I feel that just might be outliers. Richburg always seems hurt too.

Edited by PapaShogun

And yea, even though Tarvarius Moore may validate unreasonable front office thought processes, let him intersect the the path of the ball often, thereby terminating ballistic arcs many and varied and collecting flying oblong items covered in cowhide for his side. At this, I will be well pleased.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JIllg said:

And yea, even though Tarvarius Moore may validate unreasonable front office thought processes, let him intersect the the path of the ball often, thereby terminating ballistic arcs many and varied and collecting flying oblong items covered in cowhide for his side. At this, I will be well pleased.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611575c75e575507d2215

• Like 1