OTA's/Minicamp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

6 minutes ago, N4L said:

Weight is not the issue. It's leverage and strength. He has both in spades. He will do fine on the inside. 

You have to keep in mind that the interior OL guys are leaner than they were 10-15 years ago 

Doesn't answer my question. How many play at 270 pounds? Just curious. And I say that as a full time 3 tech - which he won't be, so it's really not applicable. Ed Oliver will be close. But I can't think of anyone else, and honestly, that's probably for a reason. Some ends who have moved there a time or two, but not full time. I don't think it matters, because he's going to spend some time on the edge whether or not we like it, but I'd be really curious about whether it's been done before, because I don't think a full time 3-tech at 270 pounds exists.

8 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

WR drills@OTAs. Notice Hurd on the sideline...hurt already?

Barrows reported that the team is just being cautious from the previous meniscus injury. Once his conditioning is full go, he will be back out there. 

Barrows update on Bosa makes it sound minor. He didn't leave the field. Just became an observer. A slight limp after.

And the most interesting injury news to me is that Celek is still in the concussion protocol from last December. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

Barrows reported that the team is just being cautious from the previous meniscus injury. Once his conditioning is full go, he will be back out there. 

Barrows update on Bosa makes it sound minor. He didn't leave the field. Just became an observer. A slight limp after.

And the most interesting injury news to me is that Celek is still in the concussion protocol from last December. 

Wouldn't be surprised if he retires once we cut him or possibly even beforehand. Concussions are obviously no joke and to still be in the concussion protocol five months later? Wow. 

30 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Wouldn't be surprised if he retires once we cut him or possibly even beforehand. Concussions are obviously no joke and to still be in the concussion protocol five months later? Wow. 

Even with the several concussions SY suffered, I don't think he had any linger like that. Obviously, the last one was bad (thanks to Aeneas Williams and Lawrence Phillips! >:( ). 

33 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Even with the several concussions SY suffered, I don't think he had any linger like that. Obviously, the last one was bad (thanks to Aeneas Williams and Lawrence Phillips! >:( ). 

I forgot who it was but some player just last year or the year before was in a similar situation to Celek. Drawing a blank but it has happened before. Just sucks for him and if he is still having some side effects? He needs to call it a day, not worth it, especially for someone making his type of money. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I forgot who it was but some player just last year or the year before was in a similar situation to Celek. Drawing a blank but it has happened before. Just sucks for him and if he is still having some side effects? He needs to call it a day, not worth it, especially for someone making his type of money. 

Wasn't Coby Fleener in the concussion protocol forever?

7 hours ago, Forge said:

So we are playing Greenlaw at Sam, huh? 

Jordan Matthews mostly working out of the slot this far

I read that about Greenlaw which thoroughly confused me. When I watched his tape at Arkansas he very much looked like run/chase and tackle type of LB, more athletic then physical type of player and now we are going to put him closer to the line of scrimmage? Seems like a poor fit in my mind but we shall see how that turns out. 

If you remember, Malcolm Smith spent considerable time at SAM last year in OTAs. The SAM in Saleh scheme isn't used excatly how they do in Seattle. But I think its more of a case of just seeing how guys look at different spots early on. I don't think he stays at SAM. Like I said, he seems more likely to back-up Alexander and provide competition for Lee, more than anything.

Edited by 757-NINER

and then there's this....

Last season the 49ers’ defensive scheme typically had the SAM linebacker playing on the ball outside the defensive end. They were essentially a fifth defensive lineman responsible for setting the edge on the strong side of the formation. Kocurek will have the team in more ‘wide 9’ looks, meaning the defensive line will stretch out wider, eliminating the need for the fifth on-ball defender.

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/22/49ers-lb-roles-change-with-new-defensive-front/?utm_source=49ersWebZone&utm_medi

Edited by 757-NINER