Jalen Hurts will make it to the NFL. But not as a QB

brushmyhair

Totally disagree.  He isn't athletic enough to play RB or WR in the NFL.  And he's not as bad at QB as you claim.  Sure he's no franchise QB.  But I could see him being a solid backup with spot starting abilities as a NFL QB.

His actually reminds me a bit of Tyrod Taylor.

Edited by VanS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VanS said:

Totally disagree.  He isn't athletic enough to play RB or WR in the NFL.  And he's not as bad at QB as you claim.  Sure he's no franchise QB.  But I could see him being a solid backup with spot starting abilities as a NFL QB.

Yup. Agreed (for once)!

On 5/4/2019 at 10:12 AM, VanS said:

I concur with this - he's a middling QB, but there's a place for him as a QB in the league.

If Lincoln Riley can turn Jalen Hurts into even half of what Mayfield and Murray have been the past two seasons that would be quite impressive.  Looked on in the spring game, showed a lot of improvement passing on Alabama no question about it.  Is in obviously a QB friendly system but does not have as many weapons or talent as the years previous.  I thought he would be a position change as well but as a leader he is a QB and he is very calm and composed on the football field.  I could see a team giving him a chance as a backup but the QB rooms in the NFL are highly competitive and full with talent, not many QB spots open.  Will be very interesting how Hurts looks at OU, he was much improved last year the little he played on Alabama I thought, and has got better every year, his FR to SOPH year and his SOPH and JR year but clearly as a JR did not play a lot.  

Sure Taysom Hill is an example but he is a gimick QB who will play special teams so why not keep him around.  If he was asked to start any extended period of time he might struggle but it is great he is in the NFL and with a small number of plays he can stay healthy, something he never did on BYU and it is a wonder he is even playing football with the amount of injuries he had in college.

21 hours ago, Ozzy said:

If Lincoln Riley can turn Jalen Hurts into even half of what Mayfield and Murray have been the past two seasons that would be quite impressive.  Looked on in the spring game, showed a lot of improvement passing on Alabama no question about it.  Is in obviously a QB friendly system but does not have as many weapons or talent as the years previous.  I thought he would be a position change as well but as a leader he is a QB and he is very calm and composed on the football field.  I could see a team giving him a chance as a backup but the QB rooms in the NFL are highly competitive and full with talent, not many QB spots open.  Will be very interesting how Hurts looks at OU, he was much improved last year the little he played on Alabama I thought, and has got better every year, his FR to SOPH year and his SOPH and JR year but clearly as a JR did not play a lot.  

Come again?  Oklahoma has a TON of talent on offense.  The OL is a HUGE question mark outside of Creed Humphrey (whose going to be a top 64 pick), but the weapons are there.  CeeDee Lamb is a potential FRP next year, Grant Calcaterra is probably going to be a top 96 pick if he plays well next year, and they signed Jadon Haselwood, Theo Wease, and Trejan Bridges last year who were I believe 3 of the top 10 WRs.  Still plenty of talent for Hurts to work with at RB too.

• Like 1