Jalen Hurts will make it to the NFL. But not as a QB

brushmyhair

9 hours ago, ET80 said:

I think a lot of it is going to be what Lincoln Riley does with him. There's a skill-set with Hurts that can work, and it's on Riley to refine it. 

If he can, we can probably expect to see a different player than the Alabama Hurts, we'll see a guy making solid reads/progressions and looking more and more the part.

We didn’t see that in 3 years at Bama. That’s a tall task to expect that after 3 years of mostly “first read is covered; take off running”. 

I’ll always have love for him for how he handled everything. He’s a true class act and great teammate.  But that seems to be overpowering reality vs perception.  

Edited by thrILL!
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, thrILL! said:

We didn’t see that in 3 years at Bama. That’s a tall task to expect that after 3 years of mostly “first read is covered; take off running”. 

I’ll always have love for him for how he handled everything. He’s a true class act and great teammate.  But that seems to be overpowering reality vs perception.  

It's less about Hurts, more about what Riley can do. He's quickly developing into a QB whisperer - and if Hurts shows things he didn't show in three years, it'll elevate Hurts' stock (and vault Riley over Jim Harbaugh as the name to approach if you have a HC spot you want to fill).

On 5/6/2019 at 12:56 PM, brushmyhair said:

I want what this guy is smoking 

NFL isn't exactly filled with the smartest decision makers.  I wouldn't doubt Lincoln Riley can turn Jalen Hurts into let's say Mitchell Turbisky who went #2 overall.

Not saying he should, just saying it could happen...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

It's less about Hurts, more about what Riley can do. He's quickly developing into a QB whisperer - and if Hurts shows things he didn't show in three years, it'll elevate Hurts' stock (and vault Riley over Jim Harbaugh as the name to approach if you have a HC spot you want to fill).

Riley got an extension and I believe Harbaugh is entering the final year of his 5 year deal. Harbaugh will be in the nfl before Riley. There's no doubt in my mind Riley will be in the nfl, He's waiting for the Dallas Cowboys job

13 minutes ago, brushmyhair said:

Riley got an extension and I believe Harbaugh is entering the final year of his 5 year deal. Harbaugh will be in the nfl before Riley. There's no doubt in my mind Riley will be in the nfl, He's waiting for the Dallas Cowboys job

Those extensions mean nothing - they usually require an NFL team to buy out the contract (which NFL teams can afford, handily).

Bill O'Brien had a contract with Penn State that ran through 2016; The Texans came calling in 2014, paid out a $1.1mm buyout to Penn State and both Penn State and O'Brien were done. 

Unless Oklahoma has some $20+mm buyout, Riley is going wherever he wants once the NFL comes calling.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Those extensions mean nothing - they usually require an NFL team to buy out the contract (which NFL teams can afford, handily).

Bill O'Brien had a contract with Penn State that ran through 2016; The Texans came calling in 2014, paid out a $1.1mm buyout to Penn State and both Penn State and O'Brien were done. 

Unless Oklahoma has some $20+mm buyout, Riley is going wherever he wants once the NFL comes calling.

I guarantee you that he wants the Dallas job. If Jim Harbaugh takes another L to Ohio State, he's out of there. I'd predict the Panthers for Harbaugh 

Edited by brushmyhair

3 minutes ago, brushmyhair said:

I guarantee you that he wants the Dallas job. If Jim Harbaugh takes another L to Ohio State, he's out of there. I'd predict the Panthers for Harbaugh 

I'm wondering why you're so confident in Dallas? 

8 hours ago, ET80 said:

Playing in the Big-12 certainly will help him. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Playing in the Big-12 certainly will help him. 

Things are definitely lining up correctly for him - easier schedule, coaching that's going to emphasize his strengths as a passer (I mean, when was the last time Nick Saban ever developed a good QB?) and the recency bias with Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray. 

If he plays the same way in Alabama, then it's a moot point, he is who he is. If he shows progression thus year as a passer, his name is going to jump... quickly.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Things are definitely lining up correctly for him - easier schedule, coaching that's going to emphasize his strengths as a passer (I mean, when was the last time Nick Saban ever developed a good QB?) and the recency bias with Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray. 

If he plays the same way in Alabama, then it's a moot point, he is who he is. If he shows progression thus year as a passer, his name is going to jump... quickly.

Saban is about to put one into the NFL

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I just find it funny how so many crapped on him as a QB at Bama (the unselfishness aside) for 2+ years but now that he’s at Oklahoma, he’s this genuine NFL prospect that Lincoln Riley will magically create. 

1 hour ago, brushmyhair said:

Saban is about to put one into the NFL

But how much did he have to "develop" Tua? Wasn't he a four/five star recruit to begin with?

And, how long did it take him? Going back to his LSU days? That's a lot of QBs in that timeframe... and he's got one?

Riley is 2/2 so far and both went #1. 

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

I just find it funny how so many crapped on him as a QB at Bama (the unselfishness aside) for 2+ years but now that he’s at Oklahoma, he’s this genuine NFL prospect that Lincoln Riley will magically create. 

I actually liked him at 'Bama. Tua was better, sure. But there was something to work with there.

A better Tyrod Taylor is a solid comparison, and Tyrod has a run with Buffalo that was pretty good for a while. Not GREAT, but good. 

Hurts is at the least capable of doing that.