Rookie Camp Kicking Competition Seemingly Sour

chisoxguy7

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26664996/no-good-bears-kickers-boot-early-shot-dazzle

Bears coach Matt Nagy instructed all eight kickers to attempt a 43-yard field goal in front of the entire rookie minicamp roster at the end of Friday's practice. It was the same distance that Parkey, whom the club released in the offseason, missed from at the end of a bitter playoff loss to the Philadelphia Eagles in January.

The final verdict: Chicago's kickers combined to go 2-of-8.

It's not an encouraging start.

This is a massive concern IMO which will cause doubt throughout the team top to bottom...I get everyone wants to keep as much draft capital for next year as possible but this is a genuine superbowl contender and we need a reliable kicker...call San Fran and get Gould.  

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Uh guys, it was one kick. Many of the beat writers said that 3 or 4 of them were really good throughout practice. Relax

Yes, but it’s a kick in the NFL that should be made 9 times out of 10. In a game, you get one shot at the kick, same as in this situation.

On the positive side John Baron II the UDFA was one of the two who made the kick.

Other than continuing to hold fast for a better pick in exchange I really don't know how SF benefits from keeping a PK who won't sign an extended deal.

The impression I'm beginning to get is it's all about playing hardball to avoid embarrassment and setting a precedent.  Personally I don't think John Lynch is being all that smart about it if he refuses a reasonable offer and by that I mean maybe a 5th round 2020 pick which is where Gay and Seibert went.

If with Garopollo back they were a top ten ranked team I could see it but they're not.

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Uh guys, it was one kick. Many of the beat writers said that 3 or 4 of them were really good throughout practice. Relax

Which ones?

I have a feeling it's going to boil down to Blewitt and Baron.

7 minutes ago, G08 said:

Which ones?

I have a feeling it's going to boil down to Blewitt and Baron.

Baron made his Blewitt didn't but Blewitt and one of the AAF guys were tops in the individual drills.

And I have a feeling you could be right about who they take to camp.  Then if one fails you cut him and bring in whoever was your third choice.  With this much competition we'll eventually get it down to the best we could find and unless SF is willing to deal Robbie to us that'll be it.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Baron made his Blewitt didn't but Blewitt and one of the AAF guys were tops in the individual drills.

And I have a feeling you could be right about who they take to camp.  Then if one fails you cut him and bring in whoever was your third choice.  With this much competition we'll eventually get it down to the best we could find and unless SF is willing to deal Robbie to us that'll be it.

Baron just seems to have ice in his veins, I like that about the kid. Blewitt, IMO, has NFL-level power in his leg as well as an ability to get immediate lift on his kicks.

6 minutes ago, G08 said:

Baron just seems to have ice in his veins, I like that about the kid. Blewitt, IMO, has NFL-level power in his leg as well as an ability to get immediate lift on his kicks.

Baron has shown good leg strength and accuracy in college as well but may be at a slight disadvantage being a lefty.

Blewitt has the advantage of having had some excellent post college coaching and development at kicking camps.

Like you I believe these two are currently the front runners.

2 hours ago, soulman said:

Baron has shown good leg strength and accuracy in college as well but may be at a slight disadvantage being a lefty.

Blewitt has the advantage of having had some excellent post college coaching and development at kicking camps.

Like you I believe these two are currently the front runners.

Fry was the other guy mentioned doing well yesterday and he’s the only guy we have in camp with pro experience, where he was 100% in the AAF. Unless he has subpar leg strength I’d put him in a great position to at least get to TC. 

Re: Baron if I recall he’s a lefty kicker. I wonder how much impact that has in the competition from the standpoint of consistency in the hold (since everything for just him is backwards). Worth noting IMO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Fry was the other guy mentioned doing well yesterday and he’s the only guy we have in camp with pro experience, where he was 100% in the AAF. Unless he has subpar leg strength I’d put him in a great position to at least get to TC. 

Re: Baron if I recall he’s a lefty kicker. I wonder how much impact that has in the competition from the standpoint of consistency in the hold (since everything for just him is backwards). Worth noting IMO. 

Yes, Fry.  Was just reading a follow up on all of it in the Trib.

No problem with Baron.  You just hire a lefty LS and a left holder.

That part's easy but left handed footballs????  Man, those are rare.  :D

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Yes, Fry.  Was just reading a follow up on all of it in the Trib.

No problem with Baron.  You just hire a lefty LS and a left holder.

That part's easy but left handed footballs????  Man, those are rare.  :D

Hardy har har... 😒😂

It’s not a concern to me that Baron is a lefty. Hell, as a fellow lefty I’m pulling for him, and I want to see more lefty QBs I’m the league (c’mon Tua...) and would have loved Ryan Allen as our 2019 punter. Just noting that his being lefty adds another variable to the situation is all. 

• Like 1