Rookie Camp Kicking Competition Seemingly Sour

chisoxguy7

3 hours ago, GOGRIESE said:

Seems like they were quite a bit better today from 42 yards. 

Boy, that extra yard is a toughie.  LOL

All I know is after Parkey if I'm Nagy once I get 'em lined up I tell 'em first one who hits an upright your *** is gone.

The beat writers aren't allowed to say too much about the kickers. But some of them have been dropping little nuggets...

In Nagy's interview on YouTube after Saturday's practise, one of the reporters mentioned to him that one kicker went 0-8 to start on Friday but was much better Saturday. Guessing that might have been Spencer Evans.

I'm addicted to this kicker competition, it's amazing - even if they're all garbage.

Edited by RJ_11
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

In a one on one competition today, Bednarski bested Jones. Offense had to do 25 up and downs because of it.

Bednarski seems to have some serious confidence.

He's the kid with the video of him making a 70 yarder then doing a back flip right?

This whole thing is kinda crazy.  It's like shuffling a deck of cards with a different PK on top each day but eventually someone has to rise to the top.  Now whether or not that good enough may still be in doubt but I don't see any better way right now than this.

Edited by soulman

19 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Baron and Jones officially released.

Bednarski tweeted he was not offered a deal but nothing from the Bears yet.

Two down.....six to go.

Come one John Lynch.  Stop being such a dikhead.  Call Pace and make a trade for Gould.  What good is having a guy who won't sign with you doing you?

5 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

In a one on one competition today, Bednarski bested Jones. Offense had to do 25 up and downs because of it.

Bednarski seems to have some serious confidence.

He was who I wanted to win, was hoping he would get a deal to compete through TC and the preseason.

3 hours ago, soulman said:

Two down.....six to go.

Come one John Lynch.  Stop being such a dikhead.  Call Pace and make a trade for Gould.  What good is having a guy who won't sign with you doing you?

actually, there are 6 down. All 4 tryout players weren't signed, and 2 were cut. Down to Blewitt and Fry.

Additionally, Lynch has absolutely no reason to trade Robbie, and doesn't need to be active about it. They have his rights, and if Gould doesn't want to get paid 5M this year, then he won't. 

• Like 1

Aaron Leming makes a great call in that Kaare Vedvik will be available for trade at a knock down price behind Tucker in Baltimore...8/9 with a long of 56 yards last year...was a college punter as well so provides back up there as well...far cheaper than Gould and a longer term option.

7 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

actually, there are 6 down. All 4 tryout players weren't signed, and 2 were cut. Down to Blewitt and Fry.

Additionally, Lynch has absolutely no reason to trade Robbie, and doesn't need to be active about it. They have his rights, and if Gould doesn't want to get paid 5M this year, then he won't. 

So basically we're back to where we started.  IIRC weren't Blewitt and Fry the first two we signed?

He actually does have a reason if getting a player he can use or a decent 2020 pick has more value to him than one year of Robbie and zip when he leaves unless he ends up with a late round compensatory pick and that's not assured.  So less than a year from now he's looking for a PK just like we are.

I suspect that from Lynch's perspective not wanting to set a precedent is part of this but I also think pride may also be in the mix as a spillover from the trade up for Trubisky.  Despite all of the criticism given to Pace at the time clearly we came out on top in that one.

So if Lynch sticks to his guns Robbie will show up later this summer in time for game one and he'll collect his $5 mil because, why not?  But he won't sign a new deal with SF and he's building a new home in Chicago.  Doesn't take much to connect those dots and there Lynch sits with an asset we would like to have and an ability to get something of value in trade for him.  Call me crazy but I think John Lynch is being a hardheaded fool.

Edited by soulman

It sounds like Elliott Fry, at this point, must be considered the leader in the clubhouse for the kicker spot. He seems to be the who survived the rookie camp and had the most consistent camp.

A little surprised that Bednarski did not get to stick around.

The Bears have 2 open roster spots if my count is right now?