Spring Wookie Camp (in honor of Mayhew...)

vike daddy

Irv Smith, Jr., has caught his first passes in Vikings Purple.The 2019 second-round pick participated on Friday in the first walk-through session and practice of the Vikings three-day rookie minicamp. He made a nice adjustment on a corner route and spent a considerable amount of time in blocking drills, which was perfectly fine with him.

Smith: “I’m definitely a versatile tight end.  I feel like I can do all of the things a tight end needs to do well. In-line, be in the backfield, split end, out wide. I feel like I can bring all of those aspects to the team. I don’t want to be classified as a receiving tight end. I want to be classified as a complete tight end.”

https://www.vikings.com/news/irv-smith-explains-1st-days-with-vikings-cool-connection-to-no-84

Edited by vike daddy

Bradbury showed quickness and athleticism off the ball, and moved well in practicing Minnesota’s zone-blocking scheme. At one point, Vikings offensive line coach Rick Dennison exclaimed, ‘That’s it!’ to Bradbury after the rookie finished off a block. Samia, meanwhile, showed power on many blocks and worked well with his fellow rookie.

Both players impressed in solo drills and as a tandem.

https://www.vikings.com/news/3-observations-from-rookie-minicamp-bradbury-samia-team-up-on-o-line

As the quarterback group goes through spring practices and training camp over the next few months, the Vikings are excited to see what Browning can bring to the table. Of course, the helmet color probably helped the former University of Washington quarterback on Day 1 of rookie minicamp. Browning started 54 games for the Huskies in college, winning 39 of them to set a Pac-12 record. He also threw school records for career passing yards (12,296), career touchdown passes (94) and career completions with 958.

Browning: “It felt good to be back in purple, so that was kind of nice. Other than that, just trying to lock in, to make sure I get the play calls right in the huddle so everybody does the right thing, and then going through my reads. There’s a lot of stuff going on, and that’s kind of my main focus because that’s what it takes to be successful – you’ve got to know everything and get everybody on the same page and then execute.” 

Zimmer: “The guy won a lot of games; he’s a very good athlete. We felt like he’s got a lot of upside to work with, a lot of tools. I think all these guys [behind Cousins] are going to have to come in here and compete and kind of figure it out. I think his athleticism probably will show above some of these other quarterbacks. The scrambling ability, we haven’t seen him throw too much, so obviously he’s going to have to be accurate. That’s always a key to the quarterbacks.”

https://www.vikings.com/news/notebook-browning-enjoys-being-back-in-purple-watts-signs-deal

5 hours ago, swede700 said:

Was that one when Dorsey was with the Packers or the Chiefs?  

Must have been with the Packers, considering Andrew Brandt was there as well...did a little research, I'm sure it must have been in reference to Hunter Hillenmeyer, since they cut him out of training camp, only for him to go on to a decent career with the Bears.  :D

Vikings signed Terrance Alexander from LSU former Stanford transfer, did not really play much this past season but has some ability and as a no risk late UDFA will see if he can do anything and if not no big deal.

Same with Stacy Keely from UAB, huge kid 6-7 250 DE and has a lot of upside and talent, not greatly productive but has the frame, will see if they can work with him and improve his game.  Pretty thin but again has some physical tools to work with.

Sadly these two players have more talent and upside than a lot of the UDFA signings the Vikings did sign, which was oddly not that great compared to years past, they used to be able to get some solid players in that UDFA group.  Outside of Browning and Saint-Amour, it is a pretty lack luster group, and even Browning is just ok and has a some what weak arm and had a poor senior year I felt.  So nice to see they added these two guys in the mix who have some ability and upside but are still a long shot.