and Wide Receiver Number Three shall be...?

vike daddy

The Vikings don’t have a clear-cut No. 3 receiver behind Stefon Diggs and Adam Thielen. Jeff Badet possibly could be that guy. Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that, earlier this year, the Vikings gave Badet a $75,000 signing bonus to keep the 2018 practice-squad player away from the Jets. That would seem to suggest that Badet has an inside track at a 53-man roster spot. The question is whether he has an inside track to the first spot on the depth chart behind Diggs and Thielen.

Badet told Tomasson that the Vikings “let out a little bit” of cash to keep Badet from joining the Jets, who wanted someone who could match the speed and skill of Robby Anderson. Badet was prepared to make the jump, until the Vikings stepped up.

Badet: “Night and day, [regarding the difference between last year and this year.] My confidence level is up. I got a chance to go against Xavier Rhodes, Trae Waynes and Mackensie Alexander every day on the practice squad.”

After three years at Kentucky, Badet transferred to Oklahoma, because he wanted to play with Baker Mayfield. Uninvited to the Scouting Combine, Badet ran the 40-yard dash in 4.27 seconds at the Oklahoma Pro Day in 2018. Badet has said he’s the fastest guy on the Vikings. Of course, that only takes a player so far. After all, Troy Williamson was fast, too.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/04/vikings-used-75000-bonus-to-keep-receiver-jeff-badet-from-the-jets/

Edited by vike daddy

While no one is proven, I like that we have options that can be used in varying situations. We've got the "move" TE (Smith), the speedster (Badet), the bigger WRs (Zylstra, Treadwell, Taylor), the slot guy (Beebe), and the young rookies looking for an opportunity (Johnson, Mitchell, Davis, Hollins).

On 5/4/2019 at 11:28 PM, Klomp said:

While no one is proven, I like that we have options that can be used in varying situations. We've got the "move" TE (Smith), the speedster (Badet), the bigger WRs (Zylstra, Treadwell, Taylor), the slot guy (Beebe), and the young rookies looking for an opportunity (Johnson, Mitchell, Davis, Hollins).

Yeah I dont see us as having a clear #3 so much a group that compliments each other and forms a platoon. 

As much as it may pain some people, I still don't see a soul on the roster that will surpass Treadwell for the #3 spot.  I would be kind of surprised to see it be anyone else...and certainly not Jeff Badet.  He needs to actually make the 53-man roster first before I'd consider him as a potential #3 WR.  If anyone has the chance of supplanting Treadwell, it's either going to be Beebe or one of the rookies.  And I think those chances are slim.    

On 5/4/2019 at 11:19 PM, vikingsrule said:

Wouldn't mind bringing in a vet or making a trade, I don't trust anyone beyond Thielen and Diggs. 

me too, i really wish we had the cap space to sign someone like michael crabtree. 

Crabtree does nothing for me.  They really need a guy who can play the slot and has long speed.  Both Thielen and Diggs can certainly play in the slot, but neither one has the downfield speed that they need...and certainly Crabtree has never had that.  

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

They really need a guy who can play the slot and has long speed.

Dillon Mitchell had 509 yards on deep targets last year. 

Didn’t line up much in the slot but he’s quick and runs good routes so he should be well suited for it. 

Im hoping Mitchell and Bisi Johnson can be the WR3 and 4. Can be used inside and outside, allows them to be flexible with Diggs and Thielen. 

Keep Beebe for 5 and maybe Zylstra if they need him on special teams. 

3 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Yeah I saw that. That route was nasty by Mitchell. The negatives I saw on tape was a basket catcher too often of times, not extending and catching it away from the body; and, a couple of silly concentration drops. Other then that, he was really solid and a big part of their passing attack. His open field moves with the ball in his hands are completely sick though. 

Basically a cheaper version of Aldrick Robinson? I'm okay with that, as a 4th WR option. I still think a more balanced 3rd WR would be ideal, even if it's a 30 year old vet. Not a fan of relying on Treadwell or all the undrafted WRs on the team for that spot.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Basically a cheaper version of Aldrick Robinson? I'm okay with that, as a 4th WR option. I still think a more balanced 3rd WR would be ideal, even if it's a 30 year old vet. Not a fan of relying on Treadwell or all the undrafted WRs on the team for that spot.

Mitchell seems like he should be quite a bit better route runner than Robinson, who I can’t remember getting open except on go routes. 

Some of the same concerns about his hands. 

He profiles as more of a complete WR than a role player, if he develops.