Biggest head scratching picks

lark25

Which picks did you find to be the biggest head scratchers?

For me it was Jahlani Tavai as the 3rd LB off the board. I might’ve missed something but there should’ve been at least 10 guys after him I would’ve picked before him as a no brainer. 

6’2, 246lbs and didn’t run a 3cone. 4.86 40 was glacial compared to the others in the class. Just over 9’ broad, a below avg athlete.

not hating the guy but that profiles more like a 5th 6th rounder if drafted in the modern game

• Like 4

i would say the jags 2nd 3rd round pick Quincy Williams LB Murray State.  only real note of fame is his Brother Quinnen williams but a 5 foot 10 230 pound LB doesnt seem ideal even if it is at wlb.  felt we could have picked up numerous guys who could have filled other needs that had more value like Hakeem Butler, Anthony Nelson(i found him to be a good replacement for campbell), Chauncey Gardener-Johnson, Yodney Cajuste(would have given us great OT Depth at worse and we could have had him play for RT and RG), as well as guys like Finley and Grier(cuz obviously based on our 6th round selection we had QB as a draft need). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lark25 said:

Which picks did you find to be the biggest head scratchers?

For me it was Jahlani Tavai as the 3rd LB off the board. I might’ve missed something but there should’ve been at least 10 guys after him I would’ve picked before him as a no brainer. 

6’2, 246lbs and didn’t run a 3cone. 4.86 40 was glacial compared to the others in the class. Just over 9’ broad, a below avg athlete.

not hating the guy but that profiles more like a 5th 6th rounder if drafted in the modern game

Tavai is a pretty good player. Not concerned about the 40 time, he looks plenty fast on the field and he didn't get much of a chance to prepare for his pro day because he was still recovering from surgery. He also won't play a typical LB role in Detroit. He won't be asked to play in space against players with a legitimate athletic advantage over him. He'll mostly be playing near the LOS, blitzing, rushing, setting the edge, covering shallow areas, or covering players that match his athletic ability (he covered Josh Oliver well in college, if that gives an idea of the kind of players he can handle in man coverage). His role will be closest to a 3-4 OLB than anything else, with some off-ball duties mixed in vs certain offensive looks. 

Tytus Howard is getting a ton of attention - some people think he was drafted a round early, but some say that several teams were interested in his athleticism and upside, as he impressed at the Senior Bowl and made about 25 visits during the scouting season. People say that he's not able to start day one, but they also say that with a bit of grooming, he could be a very good T in the league.

I don't think anyone hates him as a player, but I think people feel that 23 was too high for him. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Daniel Jones anywhere in the first

Tytus Howard that early

Tavai that early

Bunting over other CBs

Trysten Hill that early

This basically sums it up. Jones and Howard may be the two biggest reaches I’ve seen in history although I’d have to go look at all drafts which I don’t feel like doing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

This basically sums it up. Jones and Howard may be the two biggest reaches I’ve seen in history although I’d have to go look at all drafts which I don’t feel like doing. 

Oh Christian Ponder says hello

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SBLIII said:

Oh Christian Ponder says hello

Yeah that was a bad one but at least most thought of him as a 2nd Round Talent while Jones is really look at as a 3rd Round Talent. 

Trubisky as well, but most had him as a Late 1st Talent so not a huge reach although I didn’t like him at all. 

5 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I'm still curious what motivated the Chargers to take that Sioux Falls tackle in the 3rd.  He's a project, but it's a good project.  It just seemed at least 3 rounds too early for a kid that raw.

As a Chargers fan, that was a head scratcher for me.  Felt (still feels) like a reach.  The kid has some tools to work with, but those guys are usually more suited for Day Three than Friday night.  Throw in Edoga, Edwards, Cajuste,  and Evans were still on the board and its a little more perplexing

I guess the the thing to realize about the NFL is that there's minimal level of competition discount for toolsy offensive tackles, since Howard, Scharping, and PIpkins were all players I liked who went significantly before I saw them going.  I guess this might be an aftershock of the Marpet pick working out for the Bucs.

• Like 1