Biggest head scratching picks

lark25

11 minutes ago, Gmen said:

He played in a terrible team that hasn’t had a single NFL player drafted in 3 years. Of course he’s going to have some bad tape. But It’s interesting that you won’t even acknowledge his positive traits. You either lack the imagination, or simply refuse to acknowledge what type of player he can become with his skill set. It’s almost like you’ve taken it as a personal slight that the Giants drafted your QB6 at #6 overall. 

The Raiders reached just as much in the first round. Go bang on that drum for a bit instead of focusing on Jones. 

Raiders reached a guy suppose to be taken in the early teens. Jones should of went in the Mid 2nd at the earliest. 

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Daniel Jones was definitely overdrafted, but he’s not a freaking abomination prospect like some are making him out to be. He’s got talent, but it’s crazy he went before Haskins. 

I think people being down on Jones has been largely exacerbated by the Giants, or at least Gettleman, being really bad at PR.  Like even if it's a reach, you can still work to sell people on the pick.  Here are some things that are not good ways to sell people on a pick:

1. Someone else was going to take him
  2. We're smarter than you are
  3. He was well coached.

Like if he's your guy, he's your guy.  But try to make your case for him a little stronger than "3 series in a meaningless senior bowl game."

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think people being down on Jones has been largely exacerbated by the Giants, or at least Gettleman, being really bad at PR.  Like even if it's a reach, you can still work to sell people on the pick.  Here are some things that are not good ways to sell people on a pick:

3. He was well coached.

Like if he's your guy, he's your guy.  But try to make your case for him a little stronger than "3 series in a meaningless senior bowl game."

Yea i cant remember how poorly a 1st round pick QB was essentially explained to the fan base that generally wasn’t happy with it 

I'm not naming specifics, but when a team really reaches in RD1, it could be costly if the player doesn't excel.  Add to this how teams will trade down and get more picks etc, it's what makes RD1 worth watching.  Byron Murphy falling  was something I didn't see happening but I'm no Kiper  eithero.O

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

3. He was well coached.

I mean, I understand the idea that you want your fans buying in right away, but ultimately the time when he’ll be judged is when Jones takes the field. I wouldn’t worry about saving face over a pick I thought was a good one. Definitely not before that player played a single snap. I’d say, “well I guess we’ll see, won’t we?” And leave it at that. As much as people might think the Giants are buffoons, they’ve spent 1000x the hours that most of us have. I thought it was a weird pick that will haunt them (Haskins), but who knows? I remember people destroying the selection of Baker Mayfield and Cam Newton in past years. 

4 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

I'm not naming specifics, but when a team really reaches in RD1, it could be costly if the player doesn't excel.  Add to this how teams will trade down and get more picks etc, it's what makes RD1 worth watching.  Byron Murphy falling  was something I didn't see happening but I'm no Kiper  eithero.O

So you’re right sometimes. That’s good. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

I hated Byron Murphy. He’s an average COLLEGE cover man that isn’t asked to play tight and follow #1’s around. He’s got good ball skills and is an ok tackler, but supremely overrated as a cover man. He’s gonna get roasted in man coverage methinks. I like his demeanor, but the athletic traits aren’t there to be a premier CB. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I hated Byron Murphy. He’s an average COLLEGE cover man that isn’t asked to play tight and follow #1’s around. He’s got good ball skills and is an ok tackler, but supremely overrated as a cover man. He’s gonna get roasted in man coverage methinks. I like his demeanor, but the athletic traits aren’t there to be a premier CB. 

Agreed 100% but he is a good scheme fit in Arizona who play a lot of zone. He’s like a much better version of VHIII. 

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Has nothing to do with mock drafts, it has to do with actual tape, which most fans don’t seem to watch... most people had Jones as QB4 at the highest and QB7 at the lowest with QB5 being probably the consensus. Personally I had him as QB6. There is really nothing special about this kids play what so ever. Considering the Giants are giving him a tremendous situation though, I expect him to sit for two years and then be a slightly below average starter for 3 years in the 17-21 range for QBs. After five years I see NYG pulling the plug and not giving him a 2nd contract in 2024. 

Who are “most people?” The same people that don’t watch or analyze the tape?  Or actual real scouts that do watch the tape? Because unless you know one personally, there’s no way of knowing what actual scouts thought.  Just look at 2018, I’m sure some guys had Mayfield at 1, some had Darnold and a couple guys may have had Allen or Rosen.  I know ALOT of Cleveland fans were pissed about the Mayfield pick after the draft, worked out pretty well

53 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I know ALOT of Cleveland fans were pissed about the Mayfield pick after the draft, worked out pretty well

I worked with a Browns fan who was FURIOUS about Mayfield and Ward picks. He was so adamant that they need Barkley at 1 and whatever the next best QB was at 5.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Danger said:

Being?

Size, athleticism, toughness, intelligence, character, mechanics.

6 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Daniel Jones was definitely overdrafted, but he’s not a freaking abomination prospect like some are making him out to be. He’s got talent, but it’s crazy he went before Haskins. 

The Haskins family is starting a BBB style brand. If Washington thought RG3 had a meddling father, wait until they get a taste of papa Haskins.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/26/dwayne-haskins-redskins-first-round-draft-party-marketing-company-brand

The Giants wanted no part of this circus and I don’t blame them. 

14 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Size, athleticism, toughness, intelligence, character, mechanics.

The Haskins family is starting a BBB style brand. If Washington thought RG3 had a meddling father, wait until they get a taste of papa Haskins.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/26/dwayne-haskins-redskins-first-round-draft-party-marketing-company-brand

The Giants wanted no part of this circus and I don’t blame them. 

Man you will find any possible way to make the Jones pick look better than it is. When will it stop?