Nagy on rookie minicamp

beardown3231

Today Nagy gave his final press conference as rookie minicamp concluded, and I picked up on some things:

1) I truly wonder if the Bears kicker is on the roster. Nagy was asked if the week 1 kicker is here and he gave an answer of "I'd like to think so, but I can't answer that."

2) Whyte is going to play this year. Nagy complimented his speed on more than one occasion this week. I can see him getting 5-8 snaps every game + special teams

3) A reporter from Canada asked Nagy back to back questions about Mathieu Betts, and in coach speak, Nagy essentially said he sucks. He called him a "good kid" and that he "tries hard every play."

Anybody else hear anything this week of note?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Today Nagy gave his final press conference as rookie minicamp concluded, and I picked up on some things:

1) I truly wonder if the Bears kicker is on the roster. Nagy was asked if the week 1 kicker is here and he gave an answer of "I'd like to think so, but I can't answer that."

2) Whyte is going to play this year. Nagy complimented his speed on more than one occasion this week. I can see him getting 5-8 snaps every game + special teams

3) A reporter from Canada asked Nagy back to back questions about Mathieu Betts, and in coach speak, Nagy essentially said he sucks. He called him a "good kid" and that he "tries hard every play."

It’s so hard to glean anything from these sessions IMO. Super fast guys like Whyte almost always look good in non-contact drills in shorts and shells, and pass rusher drills are basically non-existent. Betts’ path to this roster is as a situational edge rusher, and padless practices don’t really evaluate that at all. Honestly the kicker stuff is probably the most authentic of any of the drills, and even that isn’t going against a live kick block effort by the defense. 

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Not all that shocked about Betts.  He reminds me of McClellin.  High motor and willingness but probably a year or more away from being ready for the NFL.  Based on the vids I watched the opposition he was up against wasn't very good but maybe a year from now who knows?

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

To be fair, Nagy said that he needs to get a look at the kid in pads. I'm hoping this kid makes our 53.

The PK position seems to have become a complex for the team. To me, it seems that the Bears have severely mishandled the situation; they could have said that they realize it's a problem and it will be fixed. Instead, we have these kicking shenanigans at camp and an airing of dirty laundry. Obviously, the press corps smells blood, as is evidenced by the questions today and yesterday and the day before that. For every missed kick this season, we can already write the story: "Pace could have traded for Gould." Unless the team takes the kicking situation in-house, then I could imagine this derailing the season. What a cluster.

7 minutes ago, yomyyo said:

The PK position seems to have become a complex for the team. To me, it seems that the Bears have severely mishandled the situation; they could have said that they realize it's a problem and it will be fixed. Instead, we have these kicking shenanigans at camp and an airing of dirty laundry. Obviously, the press corps smells blood, as is evidenced by the questions today and yesterday and the day before that. For every missed kick this season, we can already write the story: "Pace could have traded for Gould." Unless the team takes the kicking situation in-house, then I could imagine this derailing the season. What a cluster.

That's a non-story if Lynch won't trade him and so far that's been his position. Maybe that changes and maybe it won't.  I was opposed to ever having released Robbie to begin with but that's old news now.  All we can do is fix what's broken the best we can.

I don't believe we could do worse or will do worse than Parkey no matter who ends as PK.  Nobody we keep is getting any significant guarantees so if he doesn't prove himself to be consistent we'll sign someone else.  It's not good but it is what it is.

The window for signing FA without it impacting the comp pick formula opens on Tuesday. I’d be more than a little surprised if Matt Bryant or Kai Forbath weren’t in strong consideration to be signed. To me Forbath makes more sense from a long term perspective - he’s only 31 and is a potential long term answer. He’ll also come cheaper than Bryant and we could still pit him against a rookie in TC and keep the pressure on. If we sign Bryant he’s the guy for 2019, but he’s going to leave the door open to looking for a replacement every year. 

It would seem Elliott Fry is the leader in the clubhouse for the kicker spot. He survived the cut down and I did not read anything about him having a big miss.

I am not sure about the guys [Erik Lambert] trying to make Betts a thing. The Bears do not have room for a young pass rusher on the roster and he is physically not an NFL player.

Dax Raymond may have the best chance of any UDFA in the league to make the team. The Bears have no depth and limited receiving ability at the position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

It would seem Elliott Fry is the leader in the clubhouse for the kicker spot. He survived the cut down and I did not read anything about him having a big miss.

I am not sure about the guys [Erik Lambert] trying to make Betts a thing. The Bears do not have room for a young pass rusher on the roster and he is physically not an NFL player.

Dax Raymond may have the best chance of any UDFA in the league to make the team. The Bears have no depth and limited receiving ability at the position.

Why not?

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I watched a bit of Betts at EW Shrine practices and his highlights.  Not much to go on, but he seems to need weight room time.  He has nice moves and really gets after it, but he looks to me like lacks upper body strength for NFL.

He has frame to add a ton of muscle, he just hasn't done it yet.  Dad bod.  Had he grown up in states and went to major college I think it is a different story.  

He is going to get bullied a bit I think.  He does have some slick pass rush moves. 

Maybe a practice squad guy if they want to be patient.  I think he is a real long shot even at a weak position depth wise.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Why not?

Because who are you taking off the roster?

Locks: Mack, Floyd, Lynch

Should Keep:

Irving, has shown more in actual games then anyone not wearing pads in a rookie walk through.

Fitts, you drafted, he is still an elite athlete, and you probably want to see more.

The Bears 5 OLBs are going to be the guys mentioned above. Maybe Chuck Harris goes on the PR.

17 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Should Keep:

Irving, has shown more in actual games then anyone not wearing pads in a rookie walk through.

Fitts, you drafted, he is still an elite athlete, and you probably want to see more.

The Bears 5 OLBs are going to be the guys mentioned above. Maybe Chuck Harris goes on the PR.

Fitts has best tools on roster for OLB outside of Mack and Floyd.  Hoping he developed some in off season.  

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Should Keep:

You said you'd sprint to the podium if Winovich was on the board though. In any case Fitts and Irving aren't going to keep the Bears from adding/keeping a young OLB. I know he was a pick last year but he was a late rounder and showed next to nothing last year presumably.