Nagy on rookie minicamp

beardown3231

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I watched a bit of Betts at EW Shrine practices and his highlights.  Not much to go on, but he seems to need weight room time.  He has nice moves and really gets after it, but he looks to me like lacks upper body strength for NFL.

He has frame to add a ton of muscle, he just hasn't done it yet.  Dad bod.  Had he grown up in states and went to major college I think it is a different story.  

He is going to get bullied a bit I think.  He does have some slick pass rush moves. 

Maybe a practice squad guy if they want to be patient.  I think he is a real long shot even at a weak position depth wise.  

You're seeing the same stuff I am.  He lacks the kind of conditioning and weight training he'd have gotten at a major college program in the US but that can be dealt with now.  Floyd and Irving are both OLBs who needed a year to add NFL bulk and muscle. Izzy Idonije was another Canadian who took some time to develop.

He has the basic size needed for OLB and he has a motor like the Energizer Bunny.  Find a way to stick him on the IR or PS for a year and see what he can do a year from now once he's had some NFL weight and nutrition training.  IMHO he's not ready to play at this level yet.

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Because who are you taking off the roster?

Locks: Mack, Floyd, Lynch

Should Keep:

Irving, has shown more in actual games then anyone not wearing pads in a rookie walk through.

Fitts, you drafted, he is still an elite athlete, and you probably want to see more.

The Bears 5 OLBs are going to be the guys mentioned above. Maybe Chuck Harris goes on the PR.

Assuming Lynch won't be signed again we should hope two of these guys step up this year and two more next.  Not only does Lynch need to be replaced but I'm sure Pace will be looking for at least some leverage and protection in the event negotiations on Floyd's extension don't go well.

If Fitts has learned how to turn his speed and athleticism into power like Mack can do he would seem to be an heir apparent to Lynch as the 3rd guy in a rotation so we'll see how that goes this summer and in preseason games.  He's likely to play quite a bit so we should get a good look at him.

I also don't get why anyone would think late round picks and UDFAs are gonna show NFL level pass rushing skills as rookies.  If they were at or even near that level coming out they would not still be on the board after the 3rd or 4th round.  Late picks and UDFAs need time to develop if at all.

IMHO it's in years two and three when you find out whether you have a guy with enough talent to start or be a primary backup.

14 hours ago, soulman said:

Assuming Lynch won't be signed again we should hope two of these guys step up this year and two more next.  Not only does Lynch need to be replaced but I'm sure Pace will be looking for at least some leverage and protection in the event negotiations on Floyd's extension don't go well.

If Fitts has learned how to turn his speed and athleticism into power like Mack can do he would seem to be an heir apparent to Lynch as the 3rd guy in a rotation so we'll see how that goes this summer and in preseason games.  He's likely to play quite a bit so we should get a good look at him.

I also don't get why anyone would think late round picks and UDFAs are gonna show NFL level pass rushing skills as rookies.  If they were at or even near that level coming out they would not still be on the board after the 3rd or 4th round.  Late picks and UDFAs need time to develop if at all.

IMHO it's in years two and three when you find out whether you have a guy with enough talent to start or be a primary backup.

Cmon now, Mack's ability to convert speed to power is unheard of.  He regularly tosses 300+ lb men to the side with one arm.  Let's not set the bar quite so high

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Cmon now, Mack's ability to convert speed to power is unheard of.  He regularly tosses 300+ lb men to the side with one arm.  Let's not set the bar quite so high

Fitts is a prototypical athlete for the OLB position.  Mack is a bull with moves.   There really isn't anyone to compare him too because nobody plays like him.  He is like a combo of a smaller Reggie White and a good Rush OLB.  

Rashon Gary could learn to play like that if he has any skill and intelligence.  He has the upper body power and speed to pull it off.  Let's hope he doesn't.  He's a long way from it now. 

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

The word "like" does not necessarily mean "equal too".   Some improvement in that direction would be a start and it's precisely what coaches and scouts had on their critiques of Fitts.  He's got great size, speed, and an NFL body and athleticism but he plays a bit soft.

Mack is unreal which is why he was a 5th overall pick and a consistent All Pro.  I don't expect a 6th round pick to equal Mack just to emulate him.