Questioning the backup quarterback quandary

Klomp

Kyle Sloter
Sean Mannion
Jake Browning

Three guys in competition for the No. 2 (and No. 3?) spot. The Mannion signing was interesting to me, because I don't think he really matches the skill set of the other quarterbacks in the room. Maybe that's intentional, but I would think it could put him at a disadvantage in the competition. Sloter probably has a leg up. Not only has he been here for a few years, but he also has a history with the Kubiaks. Browning is an underdog, but one the team gave a decent chunk of guaranteed money to.

yeah it's definitely not a good situation imo. it's easy to say, "we're screwed if our starting QB goes down" but then you have to remember we went 13-3 with our third string QB, because he was a capable backup QB. 

none of our backup QB options have ever thrown an NFL touchdown...

15 minutes ago, whitehops said:

yeah it's definitely not a good situation imo. it's easy to say, "we're screwed if our starting QB goes down" but then you have to remember we went 13-3 with our third string QB, because he was a capable backup QB. 

Have any of them thrown an interception?

38 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Have any of them thrown an interception?

Yes.  Sean Mannion has.  But, he's also the only one to have actually taken a regular season snap.  

Edited by swede700

1 hour ago, whitehops said:

Everyone has to start somewhere. We’ve made a point of keeping Sloter on the roster the last 2 years. If he’s worthwhile, we eventually have to give him a shot to move up the ladder.

• Like 2

I also think Sloter will and should be the #2 guy. I mean yeah Mannion has taken snaps but he doesnt bring much at all. At least IF Kirk got hurt, Sloter has some potential with his arm talent. 

Regardless, IF Kirk gets hurt then the Vikings are done. As would most teams be, if their starting QB went down. 

1 hour ago, Eric dunn said:

I also think Sloter will and should be the #2 guy. I mean yeah Mannion has taken snaps but he doesnt bring much at all. At least IF Kirk got hurt, Sloter has some potential with his arm talent. 

Regardless, IF Kirk gets hurt then the Vikings are done. As would most teams be, if their starting QB went down. 

It is possible for a QB to just miss a few games. 

I think it's got to be Sloter. Zim wouldn't have kept him around this long without reason. He knows our system and I've had a good feeling about him ever since I saw him play. I have more faith in him than in Browning or Mannion--not that I'm eager to test it in the regular season.