Shane Ray

3rivers

He was a player I hoped they would consider for a prove it deal. It's not going to happen though. Anyone else here think he might rebound and get his career going ?

Also, can the steelers get out of duprees 5th year option deal  by a certain date? I tried finding out, but no luck. 

2 hours ago, Big Snack said:

want nothing to do with him and that would include us keeping dupree on for his 5th year if it keeps ray off the roster.

why? I know the injury history was extensive, but is he not any good now?  

21 hours ago, 3rivers said:

He was a player I hoped they would consider for a prove it deal. It's not going to happen though. Anyone else here think he might rebound and get his career going ?

Also, can the steelers get out of duprees 5th year option deal  by a certain date? I tried finding out, but no luck. 

You want us to drop Dupree for a worse player?

Dupree is mediocre, but he is better in every phase of the game than Shane Ray.

I'd rather just give 1st and 2nd year players more opportunities than sign a bad 5th year player with no real upside.  At least those guys have potential...however limited it may be.

45 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

You want us to drop Dupree for a worse player?

Dupree is mediocre, but he is better in every phase of the game than Shane Ray.

I'd rather just give 1st and 2nd year players more opportunities than sign a bad 5th year player with no real upside.  At least those guys have potential...however limited it may be.

I don't want to drop dupree for a worse player, that makes no sense.  If there is a legit chance Ray could turn out as he was expected to at one time, then it might have value, but thats not the case with the injuries etc. By the sounds of it, Ray isn't worth it, sorry for asking, I never knew it was that bad,   I am looking forward to  Adeyini and Smith getting the opportunity.  Ray, maybe for a low price if there's an injury later, but he will sign somewhere.

I think the team will get productivity at OLB more than last year.  Rotation or not, it should be improved.   

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

I don't want to drop dupree for a worse player, that makes no sense.  If there is a legit chance Ray could turn out as he was expected to at one time, then it might have value, but thats not the case with the injuries etc. By the sounds of it, Ray isn't worth it, sorry for asking, I never knew it was that bad,   I am looking forward to  Adeyini and Smith getting the opportunity.  Ray, maybe for a low price if there's an injury later, but he will sign somewhere.

I think the team will get productivity at OLB more than last year.  Rotation or not, it should be improved.   

I know it doesn't make sense, that was my point. Ray sucks. Maybe he could find a role on a new team, but he sure as hell isn't going to come in here and beat out Dupree for a starting spot, and I'd rather give younger players chances behind Dupree and Watt.

Outside linebacker/ pass rusher was a huge need this offseason, which we laughably failed to address. However, Ray doesn't really have anything to offer that we don't already have.

I expect Adeyini and Smith to get some snaps and maybe make some noise , dupree will be more of the same. Ray wouldn't crack this lineup says he was a bust thats for sure, I never knew it was that bad. I knew he had some injuries, but didn't know he ended up being that bad o.O  Maybe he catches on somewhere else, but for now we are set with the OLB's we have.

My Hope Is Ola adeniyi has a training camp in preseason similar or even better than last year and stays healthy. I absolutely believe that if that is the case that he could overtake Bud Dupree as a starter by the end of the year I am not remotely predicting that he will begin the season at the starter I am just saying that I believe he could be a diamond in the rough

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

My Hope Is Ola adeniyi has a training camp in preseason similar or even better than last year and stays healthy. I absolutely believe that if that is the case that he could overtake Bud Dupree as a starter by the end of the year I am not remotely predicting that he will begin the season at the starter I am just saying that I believe he could be a diamond in the rough

that's what I thought last year based on what Adeyini showed, but the injury was  THE setback. This year though, I expect dupree to be about the same and as a result Adeyini will get in the rotation more as the season goes on. They will give dupree the start, but after failing to be what they expected :/ they will once again O.o resort to the rotation. Adeyini will show that he is capable and possible get more of the rotation and by seasons end if healthy will get more snaps than dupree. Adeyini would have to  really break out to become a starter and remove the need for rotation though. I also expect Smith to make some noise. OLB will be by committee  other than Watt.  Adeyini should be in better condition this year since the hamstring injury was  most of last year from the pre combine until  week 12.   If he is healthy and has been able to work out it will help his chances.

Agree his is a diamond in the rough. I was glad when they signed him, I thought he might get drafted but didn't , then colbert signed him. Now  he has his chance, because he should have the opportunity unless dupree breaks out and that hasn't happened in 4 years, no need to think it will this year. 

11 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I’ve been saying the same. I’m not usually one to be overly optimistic on an UDFA developing into a starter, but I think he will definitely challenge Dupree and like you said COULD potentially be the starter opposite Watt my mid season. 

13 hours ago, waffles7 said:

I’ve been saying the same. I’m not usually one to be overly optimistic on an UDFA developing into a starter, but I think he will definitely challenge Dupree and like you said COULD potentially be the starter opposite Watt my mid season. 

I agree . It was limited in the amount of time he played, but from what he did in that time , he should get in the rotation . Then during that, once he splits time with dupree, he will accomplish more during the split time vs dupree. Then he should be the starter . All this is if both stay healthy though, because if Adeyini gets injured or has a nagging injury (like hamstring or sprain) then it will setback Adeyni.  I thought he was going to do all this last year, but then was on IR for 12 weeks and wasn't 100%.

What are the chances that the hamstring injury will keep being a problem?  I'm not a doctor but remember another OLB here that had a nagging injury that didn't want to heal and then another   and then was released.  That's not what anyone wants, and is a good reason to have quality reserves on the roster.

37 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

I agree . It was limited in the amount of time he played, but from what he did in that time , he should get in the rotation . Then during that, once he splits time with dupree, he will accomplish more during the split time vs dupree. Then he should be the starter . All this is if both stay healthy though, because if Adeyini gets injured or has a nagging injury (like hamstring or sprain) then it will setback Adeyni.  I thought he was going to do all this last year, but then was on IR for 12 weeks and wasn't 100%.

What are the chances that the hamstring injury will keep being a problem?  I'm not a doctor but remember another OLB here that had a nagging injury that didn't want to heal and then another   and then was released.  That's not what anyone wants, and is a good reason to have quality reserves on the roster.

I doubt his hamstring was serious at all. They just wanted the roster spot. He said he was fully healed by week 5 or something. Also, are you saying that in the 10 snaps he played last year, he's played himself into a rotational spot? 

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I doubt his hamstring was serious at all. They just wanted the roster spot. He said he was fully healed by week 5 or something. Also, are you saying that in the 10 snaps he played last year, he's played himself into a rotational spot? 

he showed skills in preseason. 10 snaps in regular season isn't enough, how could you ask that? Like others here, I think if he is healthy he can be a part of the rotation and might get more playing time as the season goes on once he produces. I the doesn't produce, then he doesn't play as much . I don't know about starting full time though, they like the rotation, it keeps people fresh and preserves healthy possibly.  The only way he would start full-time would be due to injuries or if he really ends up that much more productive. 

Th other problem with eventually making him a starter over dupree is it could create some tension in the locker room with some players. They want to have a better locker room than in recent years, so there is no need to bench vets unless they really aren't playing good enough .  

Edited by 3rivers

49 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

he showed skills in preseason. 10 snaps in regular season isn't enough, how could you ask that? Like others here, I think if he is healthy he can be a part of the rotation and might get more playing time as the season goes on once he produces. I the doesn't produce, then he doesn't play as much . I don't know about starting full time though, they like the rotation, it keeps people fresh and preserves healthy possibly.  The only way he would start full-time would be due to injuries or if he really ends up that much more productive. 

Th other problem with eventually making him a starter over dupree is it could create some tension in the locker room with some players. They want to have a better locker room than in recent years, so there is no need to bench vets unless they really aren't playing good enough .  

I think you need to pump the brakes a bit on Ola. He showed skills in preseason... against dudes who are selling cars now. You're talking about him starting at the end of the year. That seems a bit much. 

I'd love to see Ola succeed and take over for Bud after the year. Heck, I'd love for him to be the next coming of James Harrison and take Bud's spot by the end of the year. Both of these hopes have a miniscule chance of working out, though. 

Also, "how could I ask that?" Have you read any of your posts on here from the last 2 years?

• Like 2