Shane Ray

3rivers

I am rooting for Ola as much as anyone. The Steelers passed on several Edge guys in the 3rd to WR and CB instead. That says something. 

However, as an UDFA he needs to be on the field competing and cannot afford to spend any more time on IR. He will be competing with Sutton Smith in camp this year for reps on D, and he'd better be able to play STs.

59 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

I am rooting for Ola as much as anyone. The Steelers passed on several Edge guys in the 3rd to WR and CB instead. That says something. 

However, as an UDFA he needs to be on the field competing and cannot afford to spend any more time on IR. He will be competing with Sutton Smith in camp this year for reps on D, and he'd better be able to play STs.

The question i want an answer to is, who is Dupree competing with?

The answer, tbh, is no one, he is being handed the starting job.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

The question i want an answer to is, who is Dupree competing with?

The answer, tbh, is no one, he is being handed the starting job.

If there was a dislike icon to click I would have since ....it's the truth >:(

Handed a starting job - for now. The rotation they employed last year said something but not enough for them to go into UFA or the draft in early rounds for OLB.  Dupree will have his chance, but by midseason if he doesn't live up to expectations, there will be more rotation get others out there. 

1 hour ago, cjfollett said:

The Steelers passed on several Edge guys in the 3rd to WR and CB instead. That says something. 

agree, and I don't think they are sold on dupree , butlers presser for Smith hinted at that.  

OLB had been a weakness for years now. If they can't see a legit starter opposite Watt this year, I would expect UFA/draft next year. This was great year for Edge UFA, but of course colbert kept dupree and let all those opportunities go. It will be interesting to see how all these players perform on new teams.  Who is in UFA next year for steelers to consider for  OLB anyway?

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

If people think Bud Dupree isn't a full season lock as a starter, they're being naive. Edge rusher has to be addressed next season.

The Adams comment was a joke and who is saying Dupree won't be the starter? In this years draft they chose to use draft capitol on moving up, drafted Johnson instead of Polite in the 3rd and picked up a much needed CB with the other 3rd. If they are that high on Johnson, I don't mind the move. Where was the Edge player going to come from? They have never been a FA team. It was clear on the 2nd day of the draft that Dupree was going to be the starter. Furthermore, there really weren't that many Edge players that were no brainers to start over Dupree anyway. Certainly not after the 2nd Rd. 

22 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

The Adams comment was a joke and who is saying Dupree won't be the starter? In this years draft they chose to use draft capitol on moving up, drafted Johnson instead of Polite in the 3rd and picked up a much needed CB with the other 3rd. If they are that high on Johnson, I don't mind the move. Where was the Edge player going to come from? They have never been a FA team. It was clear on the 2nd day of the draft that Dupree was going to be the starter. Furthermore, there really weren't that many Edge players that were no brainers to start over Dupree anyway. Certainly not after the 2nd Rd. 

I'm saying Bud Dupree should not be a starter. I don't really have an issue with what they did in the draft but I do think that you could have let Bud Dupree walk and use that 9 million dollars to sign a half-decent outside linebacker that is better than Bud Dupree. Anthony Barr comes to mind.

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

If people think Bud Dupree isn't a full season lock as a starter, they're being naive. Edge rusher has to be addressed next season.

He will be the starter for a while , then like last year after he doesn't play to the level they expected, they will get the rotation going.  Rotation will have mostly Adeyini and some Smith, Adeyini will replace dupree, Smith/Chickillo will spell Watt (less often as I see that just to let Watt stay fresh)  . 

Snap count % hingest to lowest

Watt

Dupree (since he is the starter for the first part of the season)

Adeyini (just a bit more than Chickillo if he has a break out)

Chickillo ( could be 3rd if Adeyini doesn't break out, will rotate in a fair amount once the rotation is in effect)

Smith - the last on the list and a rookie, so he has the most against him right now. He could surprise and  get more snaps as the season goes on (I expect him to). I doubt he ends up 2nd or 3rd in snap count in total and I doubt he earns the healthy start opposite Watt this season. 

I expect the rotation being eventually implemented but they won't give the media full by saying "bud is benched , he's gone next year, this is his last year " etc.  They will be respectful toward the 5th year pro , it doesn't matter if some here don't think he is a legit future starter (or past starter ^_^)  because they want to keep the locker room from becoming a source of problems.  If dupree was the kind of player that'd bad work ethic and   didn't want to work out (jarvis) ,  had a social media big mouth ( AB and others)  or if he got a lot of dumb penalties that cost the team (kemo) then I would expect them to start the rotation earlier.  I don't see the rotation happening for a while, maybe mid season. That is unless injuries force this or if some players really break out and that could happen.  Dupree should have been the break out player, but most here know that won't happen .  If dupree doesn't win with speed, it's over - no counter moves. At least he started to get a spin move started last year, maybe in the offseason he worked on some other pass rush skills.  Porter could be to blame for some of this, we will wait and see, because they all have the same coach that should be better as porter never seems to be a coach that did much. 

8 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I'm saying Bud Dupree should not be a starter. I don't really have an issue with what they did in the draft but I do think that you could have let Bud Dupree walk and use that 9 million dollars to sign a half-decent outside linebacker that is better than Bud Dupree. Anthony Barr comes to mind.

Anthony Barr is the exact same player as Bud Dupree. 

4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Anthony Barr is the exact same player as Bud Dupree. 

I disagree. He is, imo, a better player.

Anthony Barr isn't exactly exploding off the seen with sack numbers look at his tackle numbers compared to Bud Dupree he has nearly three times as many. That tells me he's getting around the ball far more than Bud Dupree is. Personally I think a guy like Anthony Barr who has shown the ability to get to the ball-carrier far more often would excel in our defense. My point is ultimately Bud Dupree is not worth 9 million dollars

Edited by wwhickok