Shane Ray

3rivers

25 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Whether Dak is worth it isn't the question. I don't think he's worth it but that's what he (and others) are getting paid. I dont think  lots if things are worth the money. Ben is not overpaid and he is the best option even considering the money. 

Except it is a question because I was responding to someone else with my thoughts on the topic and you disagreed with me attempting to make your own one sentence point and I told you why I disagreed with you and it was the basis of that question so you say it's not the question in order to make your own point but the thing is that absolutely was the question

Furthermore the whole it doesn't matter if he's worth it it's the best we got mentality is the problem. That is why bud Dupree I got it it's not worth even close to 9 million dollars a year is actually making more than 9 million dollars a year. Bud Dupree should never have been brought back on a 9 million dollar contract 5th year option or not. He did not learn that contract he did not earn that opportunity but he will get handed a starting job that he also won't actually have to earn

15 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Except it is a question because I was responding to someone else with my thoughts on the topic and you disagreed with me attempting to make your own one sentence point and I told you why I disagreed with you and it was the basis of that question so you say it's not the question in order to make your own point but the thing is that absolutely was the question

That isn't the order of events. I said Dak is going to make 30 million to which you responded, that's because Jerry is an idiot. Or something similiar. The obvious assumption is that you don't think Dak isn't worth that. And here we are.

14 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Furthermore the whole it doesn't matter if he's worth it it's the best we got mentality is the problem. That is why bud Dupree I got it it's not worth even close to 9 million dollars a year is actually making more than 9 million dollars a year. Bud Dupree should never have been brought back on a 9 million dollar contract 5th year option or not. He did not learn that contract he did not earn that opportunity but he will get handed a starting job that he also won't actually have to earn

I think the simple answer here is you don't have a good understanding of contracts. That isn't meant to be an insult.  It has been pointed out that 9 million is the cost for the 5th year option. That isn't the Steelers price. And the franchise tag for a QB is 30 million That isn't the Steelers price. That is the League's price.

• Like 2

I get that. But HE SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN BROUGHT BACK ON THAT AMOUNT. HE IS A BUST. A TERRIBLE OVERALL PLAYER THAT IS GOING TO GET HANDED A STARTING JOB THAT THE FANS KEEP MAKING EXCUSES FOR.

If he blows an ACL in preseason, which im not wishing for, at least we know someone else will finally get an opportunity.

12 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I get that. But HE SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN BROUGHT BACK ON THAT AMOUNT. HE IS A BUST. A TERRIBLE OVERALL PLAYER THAT IS GOING TO GET HANDED A STARTING JOB THAT THE FANS KEEP MAKING EXCUSES FOR.

If he blows an ACL in preseason, which im not wishing for, at least we know someone else will finally get an opportunity.

Ok, so what is the better option? As @Dcash4 has pointed out, Barry and Houston weren't the answer. So what is? Also, all caps usually means yelling. Why are you yelling? It's not that serious. It's just a debate.

8 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Ok, so what is the better option? As @Dcash4 has pointed out, Barry and Houston weren't the answer. So what is? Also, all caps usually means yelling. Why are you yelling? It's not that serious. It's just a debate.

Wanted to make sure everyone heard me.

Better option? Better option is to bring someone in that can compete with him for the job. Make him earn it or lose it. Instead theyre just handing it to him.

I hope Vince Williams, Anthony Chickillo, Bud Dupree, Daniel McCullers, and Jordan Dangerfield are all on someone elses roster or bagging groceries in 2020.

12 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Better option? Better option is to bring someone in that can compete with him for the job. Make him earn it or lose it. Instead theyre just handing it to him.

I hope Vince Williams, Anthony Chickillo, Bud Dupree, Daniel McCullers, and Jordan Dangerfield are all on someone elses roster or bagging groceries in 2020.

Ok, who? Look, if you wanna criticize the pick of Dupree or the lack of coaching/improvement of Dupree or the lack of drafting a potential replacement for Dupree that's fine and I would even agree. But as of right now, he and his 9 million are the best option. Not any FAs.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Why can't people see what wwhickok is saying, especially about handing the starting job to someone that hasn't earned it.  I also agree with your shopping list  for other teams, on their roster or at the grocery store.  Williams was another player whose cap value got in the way of other possible signings, and he might not even be starting the season or by midseason as long as Baron and Bush are healthy.  Nice one colbert.... he got carried away signing players last year and it never worked out. The draft and UFA last year was one of the worst the team has had, but this year appears to be much better in contrast. I expect the team to rebound at least on D even if OLB opposite Watt isn't quite "the standard" . 

It is funny that every contract seems to get the response that they were overpaid. This is largely because people compare the total money instead of cap money as a percentage of the total cap. I'd be real interested to see if the percentage of the cap has changed all that much. For example, if you look at the average cap number for the life of the contract as a percentage of the total cap, Matt Ryan (28.6M average out of 177.2M in 2018) and Ben Roethlisberger (30.4 of 188.2 in 2019) are almost identical. When they sign players though, they are also looking at potential growth of the cap. For example, that 16.15% would drop to 15.12% in the last year of the contract if the cap continues to increase at the current rate.