Predict the 53/ Updated with Cuts**

Trentwannabe

So much can change at training camp and even in OTA's but I am curious to see everyone's projection of the 53 roster as it currently stands. 

Mine:

QB: Allen, Barkley, Anderson
RB: McCoy, Gore, Yeldon, Singletary, Perry
H-B: Knox
TE: Kroft, Croom, Fisher
X: Brown, D. Williams, Roberts
Slot: Beasley
Z: Jones, Foster
LT: Nsehke, Waddle
LG: Dawkins
C: Morse, Long
RG: Spain, Feliciano
RT: Ford
(26)

DE: Hughes, Harold
3T: Oliver, J. Phillips
1T: Lotulelei, H. Phillips
DE: Lawson, Murphy
WLB: Milano, M. Alexander
MLB: Edmunds, Stanford
SLB: L. Alexander, Joseph
CB: White, Gaines, T. Johnson, K. Johnson, Wallace
FS: Poyer, J. Johnson
SS: Hyde, Bush, Neal
(24)

K: Hauschka
P: Bojorquez
LS: Reid

Some Notes:
* Senorise Perry and Andre Roberts are special team aces and make Isiah McKenzie and Patrick DiMarco expendable
* Dawson Knox is a "project" TE who IMO could excel in year one in a strict H-Back role. 
* Brandon Beane and Dawkins have both publicly talked about him playing at Guard. Nsehke was dominate at LT in a reserve role. I think he has a chance to be a veteran stop gap while Dawkins gets unleashed at LG.
* I wouldn't be surprised to see the loser of Murphy vs Lawson released at summers end. Especially if Daryl Johnson proves his worth for a spot. 
* I have EJ Gaines winning the number 2 battle with Wallace as his backup. Gaines has the most experience with White and the safeties as well as this defense. Kevin Johnson moves inside to work behind Taron.
* Final roster spot came down to Siran Neal vs Deon Lacey. 

Edited by Trentwannabe

QB- Allen, Barkley, Jackson (3)

RB- McCoy, Yeldon, Singletary, Perry (4)

FB- Dimarco (1)

TE-  Kroft, Knox, Croom (3)

OT-  Dawkins, Ford, Neskhe, Waddle (4)

OG- Spain, Long, Felciano, Tellar (4)

C- Morse  (1)

WR- Jones, Foster, Brown, Beasley, Sills V, Roberts (6)

DE- Hughes, Murphy, Lawson, Harold (4)

DT-  Oliver, Lotueleli, H Phillips, J Phillips (4)

OLB- Milano, L Alexander, M Alexander, V Joseph (4)

MLB- Edmunds, Stanford (2)

CB- White, Wallace, Gaines, T Johnson, K Johnson, Lewis (6)

S- Hyde, Poyer, Bush, J Johnson (4)

K-  Hauschka

P- Borjorquez

LS- Ferguson

Edited by marshawn lynch
  • Like 1

QB: Allen, Barkley
RB: McCoy, Gore, Yeldon, Singletary
TE: Kroft, Croom, Fisher, Knox
WR1: Brown, D. Williams, Phillips
WR Slot: Beasley
WR2: Jones, Foster
LT: Dawkins, Waddle
LG: Long, Teller
C: Morse
RG: Spain, Feliciano
RT: Ford, Nsekhe
(25)

DE: Hughes, Harold, Yarbrough
3T: Oliver, J. Phillips
1T: Lotulelei, H. Phillips
WLB: Milano, Joseph
SLB: L. Alexander, M. Alexander
CB: White, Gaines, T. Johnson, K. Johnson, Wallace
FS: Poyer, J. Johnson
SS: Hyde, Bush, 
(24)

P: Bojorquez

KR: Roberts

(4)

* Jake Fisher will be viewed as a TE/OL hybrid

**Won't keep 3 QB's active as Tyree will be on the PS

@marshawn lynch I think yours is closest to mine. Maybe one or two differences. 

RB will be the most interesting position battle, followed by WR. I think we'll end up keeping both Shady and Gore. Singletary will absolutely stay. I think it comes down to Yeldon or Perry.. which depends upon which other ST players we keep. 

I feel like we'll have to keep Tyree Jackson and David Sills, I don't think either guy will last on the practice squad, someone will pick them up. Plus, I think Jackson is a quality #3 development QB who could be an above average backup long-term. He probably won't be active most game days though. 

David Sills must be kept because I think he's too talented and offers a skillset we don't have. I think he's a lot of us can agree he's most likely to surprise us and make an impact, much like Robert Foster did last year. We seem to find one or two of these guys every year. 

Defense is pretty straight forward. It looks really good too. So excited to see how the DL plays with Oliver there and how the secondary improves with some anticipated improvements opposite Tre White. 

The DBs always get mixed throughout the season so I imagine we'll have an extra corner and safety in and out depending on the week.

I would agree @NickChowaniec that the defense is pretty straight forward. I would say we could all accurately guess at least 20 of the players on that side of the ball. 

I would be shocked and pretty disappointed if we cut Gore. Certainly wouldn't help the "culture" that they push so much. I also think Perry sticks because he will be a special teams captain and will be a player Farewell bangs the table for. 

It already appears Sills has become the new Brandon Reilly, Dez Lewis, Landon Cohen, James Wilder Jr. Erik Striker ect ect. 

5 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I would agree @NickChowaniec that the defense is pretty straight forward. I would say we could all accurately guess at least 20 of the players on that side of the ball. 

I would be shocked and pretty disappointed if we cut Gore. Certainly wouldn't help the "culture" that they push so much. I also think Perry sticks because he will be a special teams captain and will be a player Farewell bangs the table for. 

It already appears Sills has become the new Brandon Reilly, Dez Lewis, Landon Cohen, James Wilder Jr. Erik Striker ect ect. 

Only difference between Sills and them is that Sills was highly productive and should have been drafted. It is inconceivable why he wasn't. I have him rated as a 4th round guy. Like Singletary Sills was an endzone monster. Even if he struggles at the next level he will have a niche as a redzone threat.

He reminds me of Chris Hogan and David Nelson... Except he is faster and can play outside the numbers

2 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

Only difference between Sills and them is that Sills was highly productive and should have been drafted. It is inconceivable why he wasn't. I have him rated as a 4th round guy. Like Singletary Sills was an endzone monster. Even if he struggles at the next level he will have a niche as a redzone threat.

He reminds me of Chris Hogan and David Nelson... Except he is faster and can play outside the numbers

Yeah Reilly had a pretty solid career at Nebraska considering their offense and Dez Lewis "dominated" for his competition. 

The fact that he was highly productive and still not drafted hurts him in my eyes. Everything I have read about him suggest he can't get off coverage and his ceiling is being useful as a redzone guy if he can get better at tracking the ball and able to separate. 

32 teams passed on him over and over again and 28 wideouts, including no names like Scott Miller and Travis Fulgham were drafted should tell you what NFL teams think of him as a pro prospect. Your comparison don't add much intrigue for me either seeing as Nelson was out of the league in 5 years (missing one with an ACL) and Hogan is on his 4th team and is only even a known name because of Hard Knocks and the Patriots. Neither is a pillar of success. 

Edited by Trentwannabe

• 3 months later...

Updated at Week 1 of Pre-season

RB: McCoy, Gore, Singletary, Perry
FB: DiMarco
WR: Brown, Jones, Beasley, Foster, Roberts, Mckenzie
TE: Kroft, Smith, Knox, Sweeney
LT: Dawkins
LG: Spain, Teller
C: Morse, Feliciano
RG: Ford, Long
RT: Nsekhe

DE: Hughes, Love, 
DT: Oliver, J. Phillips
DT: Lotulelei, H. Phillips
DE: Murphy, Lawson, D. Johnson
WLB: L. Alexander, Thompson
SLB: Milano, M. Alexander, 
CB: White, Wallace, K. Johnson, Pitts
Nickel: T. Johnson, Neal
SS: Poyer, Marlowe, 
FS: Hyde, Coleman

P: Carter

Practice Squad:
S Jaquan Johnson
DT: LT Walton
LB Tyrell Dodson
LB Vosean Joseph
CB Cam Lewis
QB Tyree Jackson
WR Ray Ray McLoud
OT Garrett McGhin
RB Christian Wade

RB: McCoy, Gore, Singletary, Perry, Dimarco
TE:  Croom, Knox, Sweeney
WR Brown,  Beasley, Zay, Foster, Roberts, Mckenzie
C: Morse
RG: Feliciano, Long
RT: Ford, Nsekhe

DE: Hughes, Johnson, Love
Dt Oliver, J. Phillips, Lotulelei, H. Phillips
WLB: Milano, Joseph
SLB: L. Alexander, M. Alexander
CB: White, Gaines, T. Johnson, K. Johnson, Wallace, Pitts
S: Poyer, Hyde, Johnson, Marlowe, Coleman

K: Hauschka  This is still questionable as McLaughlin is catching on and Haush money blew a simple kick last night

Kroft on IR designated to come back week 6

• 2 weeks later...

Preseason Stats through 2 games...

https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/buffalo-bills/stats?type=pre

Sills with just 2 targets and nothing to how for them.

Shady averaging 1.5 ypc , with a long of 3 yards. Honestly, this is feeling like last year all over again. Really want him to show some real sign of productivity before the games get real. Three targets and 2 receptions in the passing game and one popped for 9 yards. This part of his game still looks effective.

As others have pointed out, Housemoney hasn't been on. Hope he gets out of the funk quick.

I like that Markus Murphy is still getting touches and delivering solid production. He did that last preseason, though, and I never felt like we utilized him enough last year. I don't have him on the 53 because Perry gets ST tackles, even though I like Murphy in the back field better than Perry. Honestly, I wouldn't even be upset if we put either Shady (if he doesn't show some burst in the preseason) or Yeldon on the trading block.

Singletary has been doing a good job imitating Shady from years past. He was such a smart pick up in the draft, but is still being out-performed by Murphy in the run game!

To be safe, I'd like to see Beasley's workload decreased by 25%. I get that he and Allen need to get comfortable with each other, but I think Allen is already showing he's comfortable with Beasley as a safety net.

I hate that I have to put Jones in the 53, but we need size somewhere and Williams is just not quite ready to bump him at this point and Foster has seemed like he took a step backwards so far this year. At the end of last season, I had Foster ahead of Jones.

TE battle is so unsettled IMO and we really need players returning from injury and learning quick.

The D, though? Well our pass D is still top notch, but it feels like we still need to tighten up that run D. Still, some quality depth players are going to fall to other teams this year. Hopefully, we can stay healthy enough not to regret some of these inevitable moves. Leaving Dodson off the 53 is bothering me. I almost bumped Stanford for him.

I, too, think we end up with just 2 QB's on the 53. Been there, done that in the past, so the organization is obviously not too uncomfortable with that idea. On top of that, Allen and Barkley have delivered pretty much when needed.

Lastly, the right side + depth of the OL is a total mystery to me. I guess I'll start Nsekhe at RT and Ford at RG and expect to blow up the OL with Ford moving outside if we have a T get injured? Not very comfortable with that side this year...especially without penciling in a swing tackle! Frankly, I think Nsekhe is our swing tackle, but our G play is so substandard without Ford that we have to start Nsekhe.

My 53:

RB: McCoy, Singletary, Gore, Yeldon, Perry
H-B: Knox
WR: Brown, Jones, Beasley, McKenzie, Foster, Roberts
TE: Kroft, Smith, Sweeney
C: Morse, Feliciano
RG: Ford, Long
RT: Nsekhe

DE: Hughes, Love
DT: Oliver, J. Phillips
DT: Lotulelei, H. Phillips
DE: Murphy, Lawson, D. Johnson
WLB: L. Alexander, Thompson
SLB: Milano, M. Alexander
CB: White, Wallace, K. Johnson, Pitts
Nickel: T. Johnson, Neal
SS: Poyer, Marlowe
FS: Hyde, Coleman

Edited by Yibbyl
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Yibbyl said:

Lastly, the right side + depth of the OL is a total mystery to me. I guess I'll start Nsekhe at RT and Ford at RG and expect to blow up the OL with Ford moving outside if we have a T get injured? Not very comfortable with that side this year...especially without penciling in a swing tackle! Frankly, I think Nsekhe is our swing tackle, but our G play is so substandard without Ford that we have to start Nsekhe.

I believe outside of a few plays where he was injured, De'Ondre Wesley played the whole game at LT. Will be interesting to see how the staff feels about him. This is why losing Waddle hurt so much because now our Tackle depth is a huge question mark.

I do wonder if Feliciano could start at RG for us but I am not comfortable with Ford at RT right now. He just isn't quick enough for these speed guys. I also wouldn't be surprised if we cut Spencer Long in favour of Ryan Bates.