Bears trade for Eddy Piniero

beardown3231

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Fixing kicker is the story of our offseason. The media is going to be all over our kicking situation until the replacement for Parkey makes a big kick in a meaningful game (or games) whether they decide who our kicker is this week or in August. 

Yup.  This will even over take Mitch's progress until it appears to be resolved.

Come that opener against GB the very first time whoever ends up the winner lines up for a PAT or a FG the eyes of the entire NFL Nation are gonna be on him to see if he makes it and those eyes will stay on him all night long every time he lines up to kick that night.

If you're that guy and that isn't on your mind you must be either drugged or half crazy.  He'll need ice water running through his veins.

14 minutes ago, soulman said:

If this kid proves to be as good as advertised what does it mean in the longer term for Robbie Gould?  Or should we even worry about it?

I think this trade is the outcome of Lynch OVERPLAYING his hand with Gould  ... Pace more or less told him F you, we'll get a young under radar stud instead !

Hate that Robbie was caught in the middle, and now seems highly unlikely that he gets to return home to finish career ...

Listening to Hoge and Jahns on the kickers

-Fry was the most consistent

-Bednarski has a big leg, but his mechanics were a mess and even his misses were ugly and some flying horizantel and moving all over the place.

-Barron left a ton of kicks short and had the worst lefg.

-Blewitt was unimpressive but stuck around.

-Jones missed too many kicks in clutch time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

A kicker has to show he can stay healthy. LOL

I mean he pulled his groin and ended up on it, not bc it was a season ending injury but bc hes a kicker and they couldnt wait for him to heal up after 6 weeks.  I dont really know why anybody would label him an injury concern.  My concern would be has the injury affected his power or accuracy is all.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I mean he pulled his groin and ended up on it, not bc it was a season ending injury but bc hes a kicker and they couldnt wait for him to heal up after 6 weeks.  I dont really know why anybody would label him an injury concern.  My concern would be has the injury affected his power or accuracy is all.

Is he healthy now?

7 hours ago, SLCbear said:

I think this trade is the outcome of Lynch OVERPLAYING his hand with Gould  ... Pace more or less told him F you, we'll get a young under radar stud instead !

Hate that Robbie was caught in the middle, and now seems highly unlikely that he gets to return home to finish career ...

Of course it ain't over 'til it's over LOL, and that won't happen until Piniero or whoever starts nailing kicks at a 90% rate like Robbie has been doing, but if that happens then yeah, Robbie's hope of finishing up as a Bear would seem to be over.

I'll just restate my previous opinion that for whatever reason or reasons Lynch is being a .  Pace may have been willing to shoot him a higher 2020 pick to make a trade that could have benefited both teams and Robbie.  But it didn't happen.

Now he's faced with paying $5 mil to an unhappy PK for one year who says he won't agree to a longer term deal and I don't believe Pace trading for Piniero will change that.  If not in Chicago Robbie will still want to be close to it than SF.  JMHO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soulman said:

His college coach says he has that mental edge as well.

If this kid proves to be as good as advertised what does it mean in the longer term for Robbie Gould?  Or should we even worry about it?

I see no way Pace uses to pieces of draft capital on kickers even with how little Eddy has cost...I think the whole Gould thing is over...if this kid doesn't do well I think we target someone like Kaare Vedvik in FA but I like this kick...nothing but good reports on him so far.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Is he healthy now?

He has to pass his physical or the deal is off so keep your eyes peeled for an announcement.

Unless there are issues with him that go far beyond a simple groin pull last August he should be fine by now.

If on the other hand his kicking leg needs the equivalent of "Tommy John Surgery" that's not good.  ;)

6 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I see no way Pace uses to pieces of draft capital on kickers even with how little Eddy has cost...I think the whole Gould thing is over...if this kid doesn't do well I think we target someone like Kaare Vedvik in FA but I like this kick...nothing but good reports on him so far.

I'd like to believe that to but if it is based on the news leaking out about the PK wars it looks like it may be up to Piniero to end it.

He's young, he's cheap, and would be under control for two more years and then still an RFA in 2021.  If he's anything like he was in college that would seem to close the door on Robbie's return to the Bears.  It's getting to be too far along now to wait out whatever SF may or may not do.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Of course it ain't over 'til it's over LOL, and that won't happen until Piniero or whoever starts nailing kicks at a 90% rate like Robbie has been doing, but if that happens then yeah, Robbie's hope of finishing up as a Bear would seem to be over.

I'll just restate my previous opinion that for whatever reason or reasons Lynch is being a dikhead.  Pace may have been willing to shoot him a higher 2020 pick to make a trade that could have benefited both teams and Robbie.  But it didn't happen.

Now he's faced with paying $5 mil to an unhappy PK for one year who says he won't agree to a longer term deal and I don't believe Pace trading for Piniero will change that.  If not in Chicago Robbie will still want to be close to it than SF.  JMHO

Oh ya  !  I'm sure Lynch is on top Robbie's ****list ... Gould will leave SF barring some highly unexpected turn of events !

• Like 1

23 hours ago, soulman said:

What I see is great lift and initial height, big time wind cutting velocity, lots of carry to bury KOs deep in the end zone, and pin point accuracy.  When Kohl's tell him to hit the clock to the right of the uprights he nails it.

Kohl's was just added to the coaching staff and immediately Pace makes a trade for Piniero.  I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that wasn't just a coincidence.  This kid looks pretty good.

Yep. I bet Pace asked his input and Kohl jumped on the table for this kid. 

Seems promising... He just generates so much power with his kicks that my natural reaction is to be nervous about accuracy and/or his plant foot. 

• Like 1

David Kaplan said he's heard from multiple sources that even if Gould is cut, the Bears have zero interest in bringing him back. 

That ship, as far as I'm concerned, has sailed. 

• Like 1