Bears trade for Eddy Piniero

beardown3231

4 hours ago, G08 said:

David Kaplan said he's heard from multiple sources that even if Gould is cut, the Bears have zero interest in bringing him back. 

That ship, as far as I'm concerned, has sailed. 

Given Robbie's pay grade and any cost in draft capital it always seemed a bit of a stretch until Pace restructured Long and Mack.  Then I thought it might be a possibility especially if these auditions and tryouts failed but the longer it went on the higher the odds against it became and getting a younger cheaper PK in Piniero nailed the door shut IMHO.  If we didn't have extensions for Whitehair and Floyd hanging in the wings it was still a maybe but not any longer.

• Like 2

' If we didn't have extensions for Whitehair and Floyd hanging in the wings it was still a maybe but not any longer.'

Not to mention Eddie Jackson, Cohen and Trubisky.  Piniero looks like he has a hell of a leg, hopefully he does well for us.

40 minutes ago, Bowler1215 said:

' If we didn't have extensions for Whitehair and Floyd hanging in the wings it was still a maybe but not any longer.'

Not to mention Eddie Jackson, Cohen and Trubisky.  Piniero looks like he has a hell of a leg, hopefully he does well for us.

Well Jackson and Cohen are good on their rookie deal through 2020 and still RFA in 2021 at which time the new CBA will be in effect with a cap that will very likely be expanded greatly from where are now.   Mitch won't become a UFA 'til 2022.  So we can kick those cans another year down the road if we choose.

However Whitehair is coming into his contract year and will be a UFA in 2020 and Floyd's 5th year option has been exercised.  So Pace needs to lock up Cody because he's not going anywhere then decide what he wants to do about Floyd and how to play it.  He's not gonna want a $13 mil plus cap hit for one year to hit the cap next March without a plan for how to reduce that significantly by extending him.

If Piniero can do the job he'll be a Godsend for the cap.  Here's the contract we picked up via the trade.

Current Contract

Eddy Piniero signed a 3 year, $1,735,000 contract with the Oakland Raiders, including a $25,000 signing bonus, $25,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $578,333. In 2019, Piniero will earn a base salary of $495,000, while carrying a cap hit of $495,000.

Contract Terms: 3 yr(s) / $1,735,000 Signing Bonus $25,000 Average Salary$578,333 GTD at Sign:$25,000 Total GTD:$25,000 Free Agent:2021 / RFA
  Bonus Breakdown Cap Details Cash Details  
Year   Age Base Salary Signing Cap Hit Dead Cap Yearly Cash  
2018 Contract details by year 22 $363,000 $8,333 $371,333 $25,000 $388,000($388,000)  
2019 Contract details by year 23 $495,000 - $495,000 - $495,000($883,000)  
2020 Contract details by year 24 $660,000 - $660,000 - $660,000($1,543,000)  
2021 Free Agent Year 25 RFA  

On 5/8/2019 at 10:17 AM, SLCbear said:

It's not over until season starts and Primero ha  shows he can stay healthy ... still a chance for Robbie and the Bears, Lynch I'm sure has been humbled a bit ... we'll see 

Once Lynch franchise tagged Gould this was over for 2019. There is still zero incentive for Lynch to trade Robbie. No GM is looking to create holes in their roster, and certainly not in mid May. What’s Lynch gonna do - essentially trade his kicking situation for ours? Never gonna happen, unless you think Pace would agree to trade a premium pick for a 37-year old kicker and I j. Gould wanting to be elsewhere is entirely not Lynch’s concern and not going to change that. It’s an issue he can deal with next offseason after Gould almost certainly plays the full season and collects on every cent of that franchise tag season while performing as a top tier performer at his position. 

If Robbie wants to spend this fall in Chicago with his family then he’s free to retire, leave the $4.97M on the table and do whatever the hell he desires. He’s made $29M in the NFL even without this year’s tag contract. I can’t imagine he needs the money. Short of retirement though I see no way he’s here. It’s a nice idea, but it just realistic. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Once Lynch franchise tagged Gould this was over for 2019. There is still zero incentive for Lynch to trade Robbie. No GM is looking to create holes in their roster, and certainly not in mid May. What’s Lynch gonna do - essentially trade his kicking situation for ours? Never gonna happen, unless you think Pace would agree to trade a premium pick for a 37-year old kicker and I j. Gould wanting to be elsewhere is entirely not Lynch’s concern and not going to change that. It’s an issue he can deal with next offseason after Gould almost certainly plays the full season and collects on every cent of that franchise tag season while performing as a top tier performer at his position. 

If Robbie wants to spend this fall in Chicago with his family then he’s free to retire, leave the $4.97M on the table and do whatever the hell he desires. He’s made $29M in the NFL even without this year’s tag contract. I can’t imagine he needs the money. Short of retirement though I see no way he’s here. It’s a nice idea, but it just realistic. 

Headline; Bears Receive AARP Award for Hiring Aging Retired Place Kicker. icon_rofl.gif

• Like 1