Higgins

sonny44

I've been watching a lot of game replays lately.  Seems Higgins was making many more plays than I ever noticed.  He's come a long way over his first year.  Athletic, good hands, good separation; he's got all it takes.  I think he is going to be a star for this team.  Of course, being a part of the best receiver corps in the league he will have to share the opportunities.

• Like 1

He is better than most give him credit for, plus he seems to have a good thing going with Baker. Hopefully hes the type of guy they keep around. It would be nice to have a mid-late round pick actually get rewarded. God knows we have had enough of them fall on their face . 

This is an honest question--how many players have the Browns drafted that they have given a 2nd contract to? Bitonio, Haden, Thomas, Kirksey.....any others Im blanking on? They let Sheard, Schwartz and Mack all walk if I remember correct. Not many outside of those 7 in the past however many years I can remember being worthy of a 2nd contract.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

I dont think Higgins stays if he has another strong year. He will get more money and more targets elsewhere. I think he is an excellent number 3. 

One thing, Higgins puts Callaway in persepctive. Higgins is an ultra proficient WR who is a solid athlete. It took him 3 years to look good. 

Callaway on the other hand, is raw, had 500ish yards and 5 tds after a year off football, the sky is the limit for the kid, if he wants it he can be a top 5-10 wr. 

He was very productive in his role. The only question is whether it’s realistic for him to be around come 2020. Unless Antonio Callaway falters this year and Higgins becomes more significant in the offense, I don’t think he re-signs to be the fourth guy. I’d like to see him stay around though. 

45 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

He was very productive in his role. The only question is whether it’s realistic for him to be around come 2020. Unless Antonio Callaway falters this year and Higgins becomes more significant in the offense, I don’t think he re-signs to be the fourth guy. I’d like to see him stay around though. 

I dont even think they offer him anything because they are not going to pay a 18-25m contract to a 4th WR when they can just draft another 3rd-5th rounder next year to be WR4 or bring in another veteran like Perriman to take that WR4 role. I think barring a complete collapse from Callaway, this is Higgins last year before he gets offered 6/80m by Dan Snyder to play for the Redskins.

Plus, Dorsey has made a point to rid the team of Sashi era type guys like BBC, Kindred, Ogbah, ect. Higgins is 90% gone as long as Callaway plays halfway decent. Kirksey might be joining him if Mack/Takitaki show growth too.

All Im saying is.....I would enjoy the last year of Higgins/Kirksey in a Browns uniform.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I dont even think they offer him anything because they are not going to pay a 18-25m contract to a 4th WR when they can just draft another 3rd-5th rounder next year to be WR4 or bring in another veteran like Perriman to take that WR4 role. I think barring a complete collapse from Callaway, this is Higgins last year before he gets offered 6/80m by Dan Snyder to play for the Redskins.

Plus, Dorsey has made a point to rid the team of Sashi era type guys like BBC, Kindred, Ogbah, ect. Higgins is 90% gone as long as Callaway plays halfway decent. Kirksey might be joining him if Mack/Takitaki show growth too.

All Im saying is.....I would enjoy the last year of Higgins/Kirksey in a Browns uniform.

Yeah unless Higgins lights it up then it will be him or Landry. We can easily get out of the Landry contract by cutting him before March 15th or the more likely scenario of trading him at some point, either way we would have a 4.5 million hit in dead money but save over $10 million next year and open up a spot for Higgins if he looks like a better long term #2 WR option.

Who knows what will happen but there are options out there depending on how it plays out.

38 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah unless Higgins lights it up then it will be him or Landry. We can easily get out of the Landry contract by cutting him before March 15th or the more likely scenario of trading him at some point, either way we would have a 4.5 million hit in dead money but save over $10 million next year and open up a spot for Higgins if he looks like a better long term #2 WR option.

Who knows what will happen but there are options out there depending on how it plays out.

I'm telling you right now, as long as OBJ is on this team we're not cutting Landry. That's just the reality. Yeah, sure we're going to alienate our new superstar player by cutting one of the three sole reasons he's willing to be here: Landry, Baker, and Henry. I doubt it hard!

• Like 4

Yeah Higgins is as good as gone. It sucks but WRs are very replaceable and you’re not going to pay your 3rd or 4th best guy anything more than their rookie deal. Unless he really breaks out this year then we have a tough choice to make between he and Landry. 

I have been on the Rashard Higgins train, since he was competing with Amari Cooper in 2014 for the Belinknakoff award....I thought Higgins should have won...I am hopeful that he will be one of those guys who signs a "Team Friendly" deal to be on this squad for the next few years....he could technically take a discount on a 3 year deal and still become a Free agent again at the age of 28 and go for the Cash. I would think about this IF I thought I had a shot at a championship with the team that drafted me. The money would have to be reasonable...I wouldnt take 1/2 of what I could get on the open market...but maybe 80%-85%....ESPECIALLY if it was playing on THAT receiving Corps with THAT QB..for what could be the Hottest team in the League...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I am hopeful that he will be one of those guys who signs a "Team Friendly" deal to be on this squad for the next few years....he could technically take a discount on a 3 year deal and still become a Free agent again at the age of 28 and go for the Cash.

They signed him to a 1 year deal this year.  The reason that wasn't a 3 year deal is Im guessing they anticipate losing him in FA.   He is not in Dorsey's long term plan.  

I believe they will likely work to get Landry on a restructured deal after next year, otherwise they will move him.  Callaway will hopefully make a leap forward this year, and overtake the #2 spot, putting Landry solidly in the slot.  

3 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

I love Higgins. I hope there’s some way we can sign him long term.

Unless he plays for vet minimum, I really don't see any way in which we do.   There will be $30 million tied up between OBJ, Landry, and Callaway.  The top 3 WRs.  They aren't going to pay more than 2-3 mill for a rotational player.  If he plays well this year, he will likely be in line for a 6-8 mill a year contract elsewhere.