Eagles Cut to 53 Tracker Thread!

Phire

8 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

This is wrong.

Brown played a little last night and plenty in the first 2 preseason games.

And, FWIW Spuds said before the game last night that Brown has a shot to make the roster.

I did a little research. Brown is a converted WR playing a position of depth for the Birds. He has a grand total of 1 catch in the last two weeks and he missed game 3 due to injury. He had 3 and 4 catches in the first two games.

I still don't see how he makes the roster. I'd be shocked if he did.

Here are what some others have said on Brown.

Tommy Lawlor:

Billy Brown has shown enough this summer that I think the Eagles have to keep him. Brent Celek is likely in his final season and Trey Burton will be a free agent. We’ll have to wait and see about his future. Brown shows good potential so he’s a guy you don’t want to risk some other team stealing away.

Jimmy Kempski:

Tight end (4): Zach Ertz, Brent Celek, Trey Burton, Billy Brown

There's a good chance that Brent Celek and/or Trey Burton won't be back with the team in 2018, so tight end may be among next offseason's biggest needs. Billy Brown looked smooth catching the football all throughout camp, and was a better blocker than anticipated after converting to tight end from wide receiver. He's promising enough of a player to make the 53-man roster on the premise that the team can groom him for 2018 and beyond.

19 minutes ago, Phire said:

Brown is a converted WR playing a position of depth for the Birds.

Celek is basically done. He doesn't offer much at this point and this year could definitely be his last with the birds.

Burton is a FA next year.

Neither are guaranteed to be back.

23 minutes ago, Phire said:

He has a grand total of 1 catch in the last two weeks

He didn't play one of those two weeks and he barely played last night?? They pulled him from the 4th preseason game pretty early.

The fact that he played in the last preseason game indicates that he isn't a lock to make it, but the fact he didn't play long tells me that he has a better shot to make it.

29 minutes ago, Phire said:

I still don't see how he makes the roster. I'd be shocked if he did.

He would make the roster cause they like his talent and don't want to risk losing him. 

Just look at how we kept Dillion Gordon last year who was an even bigger project. 

The Eagles have waived the following players: QB Matt McGloin LB Don Cherry DT Winston Craig WR Rashard Davis TE Anthony Denham QB Dane Evans LB Carlos Fields CB Aaron Grymes DE Jake Metz C Tyler Orlosky T Victor Salako LB Christian Tago DT Gabe Wright TE Adam Zaruba They also waived/injured WR Paul Turner and placed CB Sidney Jones Reserve/NFI. The roster currently sits at 70. Needs to be at 53 by 4 pm Saturday.

@TheRealMcCoy I know you've been rooting for the kid and I'm not saying it's impossible that he makes the roster, but you and I both know it's always an uphill battle for guys like Billy Brown to make the cut, he's exactly the kind of guy who could benefit from big outings during the pre-season, but getting hurt, missing a game, and otherwise getting one catch for half of August is not the kind of thing that makes that hill less steep. I know the team likes him, but unless they trade Burton or there's a shock Celek cut, I'm not sure we can afford to carry a project like Brown as part of the 53. I could totally be wrong here but I'm just not seeing it. With that said, he has seemingly survived cuts till now, which is a positive sign for him.

1 minute ago, Phire said:

@TheRealMcCoy I know you've been rooting for the kid and I'm not saying it's impossible that he makes the roster, but you and I both know it's always an uphill battle for guys like Billy Brown to make the cut, he's exactly the kind of guy who could benefit from big outings during the pre-season, but getting hurt, missing a game, and otherwise getting one catch for half of August is not the kind of thing that makes that hill less steep. I know the team likes him, but unless they trade Burton or there's a shock Celek cut, I'm not sure we can afford to carry a project like Brown as part of the 53. I could totally be wrong here but I'm just not seeing it. With that said, he has seemingly survived cuts till now, which is a positive sign for him.

I know you aren't saying its impossible for him to make it. 

I just don't see the 1 catch in 2 weeks as a good criticism when he missed one game and barely played in the other game.

I also contest us being deep at TE since its only guaranteed for this season. The Eagles might want to look to the future.

Brown looks like he could be a nice depth piece at his position for years to come.

I don't think the same can be said for the 5th RB, 6th WR, 10th OL, 5th S, 6th CB, etc.

I don't necessarily deeply disagree with your other points, but:

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I just don't see the 1 catch in 2 weeks as a good criticism when he missed one game and barely played in the other game.

I can't agree with. When you're an undrafted free agent you have to do as much as possible. You haven't earned anything, and you don't deserve anything. You have to show it. I'm a big believer that the most important evaluations occur in practice, but when you're converting to a new position, and need to show the coaches you can do in live settings what you've been doing in practice. I just don't see how a guy in his position missing a game due to injury and otherwise having caught the football one time in half a month isn't anything but a negative. 

2 hours ago, Phire said:

I don't necessarily deeply disagree with your other points, but:

I can't agree with. When you're an undrafted free agent you have to do as much as possible. You haven't earned anything, and you don't deserve anything. You have to show it. I'm a big believer that the most important evaluations occur in practice, but when you're converting to a new position, and need to show the coaches you can do in live settings what you've been doing in practice. I just don't see how a guy in his position missing a game due to injury and otherwise having caught the football one time in half a month isn't anything but a negative. 

It's not a positive that's for sure, but maybe they saw enough in his first 2 preseason games and in camp?

Archived