Eagles Cut to 53 Tracker Thread!

Phire

But Clement, a Glassboro native who’s an undrafted rookie, sounded optimistic about surviving roster cuts and being on the roster come Saturday at 4:01 p.m.

“I deserve to feel good right now,” Clement said. “I laid everything out there, especially these past six weeks. Not even on offense, but also on special teams. I had a great time with everybody. I shocked myself, to be honest with you.”

The Eagles signed Clement as a priority free agent after the draft in April, but the depth chart ahead of him became crowded. Darren Sproles, Wendell Smallwood, Byron Marshall were all returning from last year; LeGarrette Blount signed in May after leading the NFL in touchdowns last season; and Donnel Pumphrey was a fourth-round pick. Most teams keep four running backs. The odds seemed long for Clement.

Clement has 28 carries for 105 yards and two touchdowns this summer. The 3.8 yards per carry isn’t significant, but it’s the way he ran that might stand out to evaluators. He also had a role in special teams and pass protection.

“I’d rather them say he can block first before he can run,” Clement said. “I try to show that every down I was out there to protect the quarterbacks, not to let sacks. I hold that as a chip on my shoulder to know I can stay in on third downs. …Then I can run, I can catch the ball out of the backfield. And to be the total package, on special teams, getting on [special teams coordinator Dave] Fipp’s awareness.”

The Eagles started Clement on Thursday and only played him in the first half. He took fewer snaps than Pumphrey and Marshall, who are his main competitors for a roster spot. Blount, Sproles, and Smallwood didn’t need Thursday for an evaluation. Clement’s early exit could be interpreted as a good sign. Perhaps the Eagles saw enough.

“I hope it is,” Clement said. “I don’t know what that means. I just have to stay naïve to everything.”

Hope he makes it, for the most illogical reason that he's a local kid :)

Last year, the Eagles kept just nine defensive backs on their season-opening roster. They could keep the same number this year, or go with 10.

Right now, eight spots appear to be filled, four by safeties Jenkins, Graham, Rodney McLeod and Chris Maragos, also a special-teams ace; and four more by cornerbacks Robinson, Ronald Darby, Jalen Mills and Rasul Douglas, a rookie.

And head coach Doug Pederson was talking after the game as if McDougle also is safe.

“He’ll continue to grow in our system, grow in Schwartz’s defense,’’ Pederson said. “And as we move forward, as we begin to really game-plan and finalize some things, I think things will kind of simplify just a little bit and help him feel comfortable with where he’s at and where he’s going.’’

That scenario would leave Grymes, Watkins and cornerback C.J. Smith on the outside looking in. Grymes and Smith still have practice-squad eligibility.

1 minute ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I think Clement completely outplayed Pumphrey, but cutting a rookie 4th round pick is just senseless. Plus I'd like to think our staff is confident in their draft picks and there is something they saw in Pumphrey that he hasn't shown or had the opportunity to show yet. I say keep 5 RBs for now. 

They traded up for Pump, cutting a 4th rounder is extremely rare (last time we did it was in the mid 90s IIRC) let alone cutting a 4th rounder you gave up resources for... 

1 minute ago, Phire said:

They traded up for Pump, cutting a 4th rounder is extremely rare (last time we did it was in the mid 90s IIRC) let alone cutting a 4th rounder you gave up resources for... 

Yeah thankfully it's not something we've done in recent history, but it happens, and looks really bad when it does. Vikings cut their 4th round guard last year. Signed him to the practice squad after and I believe he's on their roster now but practice squad is fair game so they essentially gave up, or were ok with the idea of giving up, on a guy they took in the 4th (passing on ~75 guys who did make NFL rosters).

10 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

I just don't think pump can physically make it in the NFL might need to just cut those losses. 

Every hit he takes just looks so violent. Even fourth string CBs are throwing him around like a rag doll.

4 hours ago, Phire said:

Every hit he takes just looks so violent. Even fourth string CBs are throwing him around like a rag doll.

Be shocking if he lasted 20 carries in the regular season at his current size. 

Where the hell are the Mexicans supplements? I thought we were going to pull some "magic" , where is the "magic"? You know one of those super hero celebrity transformations you know what i mean? lol. 

30 minutes ago, Phire said:

Well, Dave Spadaro did say this in his latest article.

They are going to go heavy where you don’t expect it, light where you thought of a heavy number, and they’re going to do trades. Oh boy, are they going to do trades, at least they’re going to be open to the very idea of doing them.

Archived