News and Notes: Offseason Edition

Matts4313

“He’s (Fredrick) been able to go through our entire offseason program up to this point. He was on the field with the guys last week. It was good to see him out there in a stance, running football plays. He looks really good. He’s an outstanding player and an outstanding person for us. He’s been a great leader for us. Excited to get him back.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/06/travis-frederick-looks-really-good-in-his-return-to-on-field-work/

When he agreed to come back at a reduced salary, Sean Lee received a promise from the Cowboys that he would remain a starter, Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports. That obviously entails a move to strongside linebacker with Jaylon Smith starting at middle linebacker and Leighton Vander Esch at weakside linebacker.

The team will list Lee as the starting strongside linebacker on the depth chart, but how many games will he actually start?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/06/sean-lee-moving-to-strongside-linebacker/

He hopes for a formal role with the Cowboys this season.

“I think it’ll be a great opportunity for me to come back here and coach the guys,” Ware said during the 15th annual Taste of the Cowboys on Sunday night. “I always say I want to teach the championship mentality. If I can come here at least two or three days a week, teaching them Wednesdays and Thursdays, and teach the pass rushers how to pass rush, stop the run, but then I always help the offensive line like Tyron Smith with his technique.

“The thing is I still can do it. You’ve got a coach who can get out there and not just not say how to do it, but can show tape that they remember on how to do it and then get out there and do it as well with them.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/05/demarcus-ware-wants-to-work-for-cowboys/

4 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Lee has been a great player, but tjr team making promises like that is lame

Well, if you think about it, he was obviously going to start anyway, promise or no. Who was going to beat him out, Justin March-Lillard? Chris Covington? No. I've speculated all along that he would be the SAM because you want your best players on the field. When healthy for those 3 games a year, Sean Lee is in fact one of the best players on the field.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Would be ideal, but can’t image it being that low given Wilson’s extension. 

Wilson has a shiny thing on his finger he probably bargained with.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-pff-data-study-coverage-vs-pass-rush

Really?

Coverage over pass rush? This seems to upend everything we think we know about football. For example, the league’s last defensive player to win league MVP, Giants Hall of Fame linebacker Lawrence Taylor, generated 20.5 sacks and propelled the 1986 Giants to a Super Bowl title the very year I was born. His crushing hits literally ended the careers of quarterbacks like Joe Theismann and struck fear in the eyes of both opposing players and fans. I don’t know about you, but for every Deion Sanders or Darrelle Revis, I seemingly remember the exploits of four or five elite pass rushers while growing up watching football.

10 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Dallas is closing in on signing Dak to a deal “approaching $30m/year” per numerous on Twitter 

10 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Approaching means the number starts with a 2. A victory for us.

This is per Clarence Hill who is consistently one of the worst writers for insider information. He either has bad Cowboys sources, or he makes stuff up. I wouldn’t take anything he says as an accurate representation of what is going on.

~$30M makes sense, and we’ve been saying that on here for months. I don’t think you can trust Hill enough to gain any real info on whether there will be a 2 or 3 in the front of his APY, though.

This is really going to be a interesting year coming up there is so much expectations and pressure from head coach to OC a basic unknown cat out of the hat type to our starting QB wanting to prove he’s worth a payday to two of our most touted potential HOF type veterans playing their last year under a lot of skepticism that they can perform in Witten (HOF yes) and Lee (HOF no).  Do we also get our all pro best linemen in football Fredrick back?

To can this team actually break a long trend and make playoffs back to back years 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001030294/article/ezekiel-elliott-to-pay-for-funeral-of-young-football-star

A tragic death of a promising eight-grade football player in St. Louis grabbed headlines around the country and the attention of Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott, who is now doing something special for the grieving family.

A source has confirmed with NFL.com that Elliott will pay for the funeral expenses of Jaylon McKenzie, who died after being struck by a stray bullet while leaving a party in Venice, Illinois last weekend.

• Like 2