News and Notes: Offseason Edition

Matts4313

4 hours ago, DaBoys said:

He still graded out as the 31st best offensive tackle in the league out of 64+ starters.

We could do worse.

^^^^ Where did you see that? PFF had him ranked as a bottom 5 RT. 

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

@Matts4313, do you know if that "pressures" stat means combined sacks/hits/hurries or just hurries? If it's the former, then 3 a game for a RT isn't bad. If it's the latter? Yikes

All 3. And its still pretty bad. The good RT's were all in the 20's. Most of the RT's were in the 30's. 46 was the second worst out of all the RT's graded. 

3 minutes ago, D82 said:

What's the old saying? Practice makes perfect? Shocker. 

I think we may be onto something with young Mr. Moore as our OC.  Imagine giving your QB extra reps on the deep ball?  Sometimes the best solutions for a challenge are staring you right in the face and are in fact quite simple.  I realize it's OTA's and there is a way to go yet.  But I'm getting a good vibe about Moore.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, matt79511 said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/lael-collins/9719

#31 overall OT, not RT

They don’t use the color green for total trash players

edit: they were very low on him in ‘17 IIRC

I now see the confusion. 

He was rated a bottom 5 *pass blocking* RT. Which means there were 27 better RT's alone. Probably another ~25-30 LTs. 

The point remains he is a top 32 tackle in the league. If it's his pass blocking or his run blocking, he grades out.

If every team in the league were to go around and select just 1 OT, La'el Collins would probably be one of them. He would be the top OT for someone. 

We could do worse opposite of Tyron, and we probably will for a year or two after he is gone. 

6 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

The point remains he is a top 32 tackle in the league. If it's his pass blocking or his run blocking, he grades out.

If every team in the league were to go around and select just 1 OT, La'el Collins would probably be one of them. He would be the top OT for someone. 

We could do worse opposite of Tyron, and we probably will for a year or two after he is gone. 

I think I have been pretty upfront that I think that they are all pretty awesome in the run game. But the big debate weve had is how poor they were in the pass game. 

You still havent admitted that they sucked. You wont even say anything bad about them at all. 

14 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I think I have been pretty upfront that I think that they are all pretty awesome in the run game. But the big debate weve had is how poor they were in the pass game. 

You still havent admitted that they sucked. You wont even say anything bad about them at all. 

Well...

I don't have anything bad to say about Tyron or Zack Martin. I think they are both elite at their positions. Nobody is perfect every snap 100% of the time but pointing out either of their mistakes seems nit picky. 

Then there's Looney. Who was serviceable, but exceeded expectations. I think we can all agree on that. I'm not going to harp on Looney who did his job as a backup. He wasn't dominating like Frederick but he isn't the reason our passing game sucked. And Frederick is supposed to be back this year so who cares about Looney anyway.

So that leaves Collins who we are discussing currently and the LGs, Connor Williams and XSF.

Connor Williams sucked. So did XSF. Below average at best.

Edited by DaBoys

13 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Well...

I don't have anything bad to say about Tyron or Zack Martin. I think they are both elite at their positions. Nobody is perfect every snap 100% of the time but pointing out either of their mistakes seems nit picky. 

Then there's Looney. Who was serviceable, but exceeded expectations. I think we can all agree on that. I'm not going to harp on Looney who did his job as a backup. He wasn't dominating like Frederick but he isn't the reason our passing game sucked.

So that leaves Collins who we are discussing currently and the LGs, Connor Williams and XSF.

Connor Williams sucked. So did XSF. Below average at best.

This is what I am saying man. Our LG, C, RT all were not good at pass blocking.

As a whole the group sucked at pass blocking. 

Just admit it. 

37 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

This is what I am saying man. Our LG, C, RT all were not good at pass blocking.

As a whole the group sucked at pass blocking. 

Just admit it. 

I don't recall Looney giving up a ton of sacks. I admit out LG sucked. I think Dak had more than enough time to throw most of the time, but he tends to hold the ball. He had the 10th most time from snap to throw in the NFL. Partially because his OL gave him that time, partially because he is mobile, partially because he is slow to diagnose and holds the ball. 

Time To Throw (TT)
Time to Throw measures the average amount of time elapsed from the time of snap to throw on every pass attempt for a passer (sacks excluded).

10 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I don't recall Looney giving up a ton of sacks. I admit out LG sucked. I think Dak had more than enough time to throw most of the time, but he tends to hold the ball. He had the 10th most time from snap to throw in the NFL. Partially because his OL gave him that time, partially because he is mobile, partially because he is slow to diagnose and holds the ball. 

Time To Throw (TT)
Time to Throw measures the average amount of time elapsed from the time of snap to throw on every pass attempt for a passer (sacks excluded).

As a whole, our OL sucked at pass blocking. Do you agree? And remember, 2 sources credit them with over 40 sacks and 1 source has them ranked 28th in pass block protection.

Also, you are still misrepresenting that time to throw stat. That has much more to do with Dak than it does the OL.