News and Notes: Offseason Edition

Matts4313

9) Some of Carson Wentz's teammates bashed him anonymously

Back in January, PhillyVoice published a sourced column by Joe Santoloquito in which teammates painted Wentz as 'selfish,' 'uncompromising' and 'playing favorites.' 

It was, um, criticized harshly. Hell, I didn't even write the damn thing, and I caught a ton of shrapnel for it. I can only imagine the blowback that Joe received. To note, I do fully understand the varying reasons readers took issue with the column.

Personally speaking, I had a unique perspective as that day unfolded. It was interesting to watch as there was no response to the column from anyone directly affiliated with the team for literally hours after it was published, and then, BAM, all of a sudden, one player after the next (mostly the best players) were offering messages of support on social media for Wentz in close succession, as the team likely nudged them to do so. Kudos to them on that one, as it provided all the evidence that most in the fan base wanted to hear that there were no in-house issues to speak of.

Kudos to Wentz as well, who handled the adversity like a champion, answering questions about the piece head-on, and even acknowledging that he can be a better teammate behind the scenes.

Still, say whatever you will about that piece, but the fact remains (and yes, it is indeed a fact) that some of Wentz's teammates bashed him anonymously to the press, and it can happen again if the season has its rocky moments.

1 hour ago, D82 said:

Good question. 5 games?

Supposedly all of this has lit a fire under the old man and he's in his best shape in years. If he is playing well then they won't pull him. But Eli is usually a slow starter on the season. Every time he throws a pick the camera is going to find Jones on the sideline.

Edited by DaBoys