News and Notes: Offseason Edition

Matts4313

1 hour ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Do you guys buy this?   He's making $8 mil this year, and $9mil next year.    I guess I understand next offseason doing this to avoid the franchise tag, like Gordon is doing, but this training camp? I mean why not just hold out after your rookie year?

He’s technically making $3.85M this year, half of his cap hit is prorated bonus money. So his three year payout including a tag in ‘21 is like $24-25M. He’s probably looking to get that up to $40-45M. I’m guessing we won’t be meeting in the middle this year.

3 hours ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Do you guys buy this?   He's making $8 mil this year, and $9mil next year.    I guess I understand next offseason doing this to avoid the franchise tag, like Gordon is doing, but this training camp? I mean why not just hold out after your rookie year?

Rookies can't get a new contract until after their 3rd year in the NFL. 

14 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

Rookies can't get a new contract until after their 3rd year in the NFL. 

17 hours ago, matt79511 said:

He’s technically making $3.85M this year, half of his cap hit is prorated bonus money. So his three year payout including a tag in ‘21 is like $24-25M. He’s probably looking to get that up to $40-45M. I’m guessing we won’t be meeting in the middle this year.

Technically then he was way overpaid in his first year, since he made $17 mil($16.5 mil signing bonus + $500k salary).   It's all bs.   The contract was 4 years for $25 mil.   So in the real world,  he made $6+ mil/year, and he will make $9mil in 2020.  

1 hour ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Technically then he was way overpaid in his first year, since he made $17 mil($16.5 mil signing bonus + $500k salary).   It's all bs.   The contract was 4 years for $25 mil.   So in the real world,  he made $6+ mil/year, and he will make $9mil in 2020.  

That’s what leads to disputes lol, and why no other industry that I’m aware of follows a similar model. Our FO is making the same point you are.

• Like 1

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ezekiel-elliott-is-not-worth-the-money-he-wants/

We know — and the Cowboys should, too — that rushing is not nearly as important to winning in the NFL as passing. But rushing is still a part of the game, and situational running is still critical. A back who excels in high-leverage spots can be quite valuable. It could be the case that Dallas believes it has an advantage in crucial moments with Zeke on the field that helps justify re-signing him.

--------------------------------------------------------

Situationally, Zeke is profoundly average, but some perspective here is probably needed. Situational running, while important, is relatively rare. Around 5 percent of Elliott’s carries came in the red zone in 2018. Fifteen percent came in situations when the Cowboys were trying to close out the game, and 14 percent came on short-yardage runs in the open field. The majority of Zeke’s carries — about 65 percent — occurred in other situations. The problem is that those other situations turn out to be awful times to run the football.

----------------------------------------------------------

It sounds strange, but commanding bad rushing volume is really the only aspect of Elliott’s game that is truly elite. The Cowboys could believe that they have a generational talent at the running back position, and because of this faith, they overuse him.

It’s that overuse that’s the problem. Extending Elliott is the manifestation of an objectively poor offensive strategy. It isn’t just a terrible idea because the valuable portion of Elliott’s production — the situational part — is easily replaced by nearly any back talented enough to make a Week 1 NFL roster. And an early extension isn’t just poor risk management because between 20 to 33 percent of high-volume running backs will incur a serious injury in a given year, though that is also certainly true.6

The primary reason an investment in an overpriced, risky asset is truly awful is because it can impact play calling in the worst possible way. In an attempt to justify the overspend at the position, a team may be encouraged to run more and pass less. It’s the worst kind of curse, and the Cowboys seem eager to cast the hex on themselves.

12 minutes ago, D82 said:

Yeah I’d think Collins would beat out Wise.

That depth chart in general looks to me like there’s way too many veterans cut in favor of rookies/practice squad types. Not that that doesn’t happen, but in a make-or-break year for Garrett I can’t see him signing off on all those moves

edit: and I don’t see how we can keep just 5 LBs when 3 of them don’t really play special teams

Edited by matt79511

5 hours ago, matt79511 said:

Maliek is not getting cut for Wise and Ross, lol

Its amazing in contract years how often injured guys seem to stay healthy and are motivated.   I think they're hoping Maliek starts and has a good year for quality depth at the position and Hopefully to get a decent comp pick