News and Notes: Offseason Edition

Matts4313

15 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

well, Cooper was waiting for this contract to get done. Thomas just set the bar and it is pretty high!! 

Thoughts?

Dak - $33-35m

Zeke - $15-16m

Coop - $18m

Man.... that’s going to be tough to swing, especially when you figure Jones and Jaylon are both going near/over $15m/yr too. 

Cap will go up for sure, but I doubt it’s enough to handle all that. 

Good bye Zeke...

Edited by WizardHawk

41 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

well, Cooper was waiting for this contract to get done. Thomas just set the bar and it is pretty high!! 

Thoughts?

Insane. There's no way Dallas can pay Dak $30 million a year, pay Amari $21 million a year and Zeke $15 million a year. Even if they let Byron walk, they still have to pay Jaylon $18+ million. 

They will probably have to let 2 players walk to keep some kind of cap flexibility.

14 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

Insane. There's no way Dallas can pay Dak $30 million a year, pay Amari $21 million a year and Zeke $15 million a year. Even if they let Byron walk, they still have to pay Jaylon $18+ million. 

They will probably have to let 2 players walk to keep some kind of cap flexibility.

They should be able to get Amari And Jaylon for less than that. Amari’s not going to reset the market at WR, Dez didn’t and he was coming off a First Team All-Pro season. Stephen is a pretty tough negotiator.

Of course, Dak’ll go for more than 30, so your sum is about right. And if we have to tag Amari next year then we’re probably losing Byron a year before we should which blows.

I think Tyron or Frederick will have to go in the next two years in order for us to pay all 5 or even 4 of the aforementioned. I mean, honestly, why would you pay Dak, Zeke, and Amari the highest combined total for a QB/RB/WR in league history if they’re not capable of leading this team to an elite offense without the assistance of a Top 3 offensive line?

Edited by matt79511

We should be able to sign Dak, Amari, and Zeke, without much issue.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/video/24563b2e-ae2a-4c0b-98cd-0420540bea95

Extending Amari actually lessons his 2019 hit. It’s possible that we have to choose between Byron and Jaylon but not Impossible to squeeze them both in. However Byron will be 28 at the start of next season when his money kicked in. In Richards system Byron can be replaced imo.

2 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Extending Amari actually lessons his 2019 hit.

Sure but if you dramatically decrease it while still giving him $18M/yr in new money then his cap hits will be over $18M down the line.

Again if we get Dak and Amari done then we should be alright for the next two years. We’ll have plenty of rollover, the tag for CBs will be like $13M (as opposed to 17-18 for WRs) and Jaylon’s restricted. But after that I’m very skeptical. Even after letting go of Byron you’re looking at something like $120M-$130M against the cap for your Top 8 guys. That’s not sustainable if the rate of annual cap growth declines in the next CBA, which it will.

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

Sure but if you dramatically decrease it while still giving him $18M/yr in new money then his cap hits will be over $18M down the line.

Again if we get Dak and Amari done then we should be alright for the next two years. We’ll have plenty of rollover, the tag for CBs will be like $13M (as opposed to 17-18 for WRs) and Jaylon’s restricted. But after that I’m very skeptical. Even after letting go of Byron you’re looking at something like $120M-$130M against the cap for your Top 8 guys. That’s not sustainable if the rate of annual cap growth declines in the next CBA, which it will.

Why do you think the rate of cap growth will decline with the new CBA? I don't see that happening.

31 minutes ago, HDsportsfan said:

Why do you think the rate of cap growth will decline with the new CBA? I don't see that happening.

Because it did the last time, and this is a money-making business for the owners. Remember, the salary cap is a self-imposed measure- it’s not like teams “can’t” pay all their players, especially the Cowboys

25 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Because it did the last time, and this is a money-making business for the owners. Remember, the salary cap is a self-imposed measure- it’s not like teams “can’t” pay all their players, especially the Cowboys

Sure, but it is for the players as well. I do agree though, that I don't think we'll see a $50m jump in the next 5 years like we have the previous 5. I'm hopeful they come up with some sort of cap discount to off set it. 

3 hours ago, matt79511 said:

They should be able to get Amari And Jaylon for less than that. Amari’s not going to reset the market at WR, Dez didn’t and he was coming off a First Team All-Pro season. Stephen is a pretty tough negotiator.

Of course, Dak’ll go for more than 30, so your sum is about right. And if we have to tag Amari next year then we’re probably losing Byron a year before we should which blows.

I think Tyron or Frederick will have to go in the next two years in order for us to pay all 5 or even 4 of the aforementioned. I mean, honestly, why would you pay Dak, Zeke, and Amari the highest combined total for a QB/RB/WR in league history if they’re not capable of leading this team to an elite offense without the assistance of a Top 3 offensive line?

You don't think Amari expects to be paid the highest paid WR? When he essentially saved last season and the Boys gave up a 1st round pick for him? 

16 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

You don't think Amari expects to be paid the highest paid WR? When he essentially saved last season and the Boys gave up a 1st round pick for him? 

I think there is a 0.0% chance we will make him that. Dude has career highs of 1153 yards and 7 TDs, Dez posted three straight years of more production than that and still took less than Megatron and Fitzgerald.

None of these guys really want to leave Dallas, and Stephen and Jerry absolutely use that against them in negotiations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WizardHawk said:

Sure, but it is for the players as well. I do agree though, that I don't think we'll see a $50m jump in the next 5 years like we have the previous 5. I'm hopeful they come up with some sort of cap discount to off set it. 

I'd like to see the league be able to designate 1 franchise player that does not apply to the salary cap for their entire contract. 

Seems more teams are struggling to build a team once they pay their QB.

Edited by CAPJ
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, matt79511 said:

7 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Exact opposite is expected to happen. They anticipate a huge jump in the next CBA.

5 hours ago, CAPJ said:

I'd like to see the league be able to designate 1 franchise player that does not apply to the salary cap for their entire contract. 

That goes against parity. The idea is that the teams with no franchise QB can outspend those that do for competitive balance.

10 hours ago, matt79511 said:

7 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Exact opposite is expected to happen. They anticipate a huge jump in the next CBA.

5 hours ago, CAPJ said:

That goes against parity. The idea is that the teams with no franchise QB can outspend those that do for competitive balance.