News and Notes: Offseason Edition

Matts4313

Sturm's OL pass protection breakdown part 2, weeks 5-8

Great stuff again. Highlights....

Today, we offer you the second of our four-part series in which we examine why the Cowboys had so many issues with sacks in 2018. This series exists for two reasons: 1) I am obsessive-compulsive about this stuff and want to leave no rock unturned while examining why things happen in this game of football that I love so much. 2) I am really concerned with how many people want to offer a really simplistic answer for such a complex question. I realize Twitter mentions and emails are not good mediums for nuanced discussions, but arguing you get to 56 sacks in a season where you won 10 games because “your quarterback is incompetent” is just flat-out ridiculous. 

In other words.....

Dallas-Sack-Totals.jpg

Above, you’ll find a year-by-year breakdown of the Cowboys offense over the past decade. As you can see, until last year, the Cowboys have operated comfortably below the rough NFL average of 40 sacks allowed per season. Tony Romo helped, for sure, but Jon Kitna, Brandon Weeden, Matt Cassel, Kellen Moore and Dak Prescott all managed to stay easily below that benchmark. Every year, there were similar results. Yet in 2018, the number made us expand the chart all the way to 60. You never want to experience 75% growth in this negative category from year to year, especially if the year before was already inflated because of Chaz Green in Atlanta.

################################################################################################

5-year-sack-rates.jpg

Now, let’s look at the league over five years versus the Cowboys. Here is opponents’ sack percentage; essentially, how many pass plays would end in a sack. Please notice the blue line of Dallas always below the red line of the NFL Average – until 2018, when it soars.

Oh, my.

#####################################################################################

Pass-Attempts-Per-Sack.jpg

Finally, we’ll close with a number that basically is that second chart figured a different way. It converts sack percentage into a ratio of pass plays per sack. The league average is in red, and we are seeing more sacks league-wide. Dallas has always outperformed the league average until this steep, steep decline in 2018 to where the Cowboys could only throw 10.4 passes per sack. That is down from 2016, when Dak was a rookie who put up 18.3 pass plays per sack. That must regress back to the mean quickly in 2019 for success to really accompany the Cowboys offense.

Tally so far....

Weeks 5-8:

Prescott - 4 
C. Williams - 3
Collins - 2
Scheme - 2

Our leaderboard through eight games is as follows:

Dak Prescott: 9
Connor Williams: 6.5
Tyron Smith: 3
La’el Collins: 2.5

Sturm doesn't mention it, but he's credited scheme with 3 sacks. 

13 hours ago, D82 said:

This kind of elaborates a little on it 

This article actually contradicts the idea that the system is staying the same. It's an outsider's educated opinion of what might happen if Moore were given full control. But that isn't going to happen.

14 hours ago, D82 said:

I forget which beat writer posted it...but the system itself is essentially remaining the same. HOWEVER, the looks, designs, etc. that they run plays out of are changing. 

I also heard that the plays were already in place, but the sequence, run pass ratio, and presentation would change. Witten makes me believe this is true. We aren't implementing a new offense. We are just calling the plays differently, and it sounds like more running, which is music to my ears. Probably why we drafted two RBs and a giant OL. 

D7xKpavX4AAysBy?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by DaBoys

22 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Sturm's OL pass protection breakdown part 2, weeks 5-8

Great stuff again. Highlights....

Dallas-Sack-Totals.jpg

################################################################################################

5-year-sack-rates.jpg

#####################################################################################

Pass-Attempts-Per-Sack.jpg

Tally so far....

@plan9misfit @DaBoys @Calvert28

Going to keep tagging until you all acknowledge that our OL sucked in pass blocking. 

Just now, Matts4313 said:

Going to keep tagging until you all acknowledge that our OL sucked in pass blocking. 

Just now, DaBoys said:

We already know the outcome. Dak improves tremendously while our OL still ends up being crap. 

Right? Isnt that your point?

Just now, DaBoys said:

Through 8 games Dak was the worst OL we had 

And through 16 games our OL is the worst OL we had.

Also remember like 3 or 4 of those came from 1 game. 

Not that it excuses it, but we should keep things in perspective. 

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

And through 16 games our OL is the worst OL we had.

Also remember like 3 or 4 of those came from 1 game. 

Not that it excuses it, but we should keep things in perspective. 

It was agonizing to watch. And game 9 against the Titans was a disaster too.

So we can go ahead and say, "through the first 9 games."

Edit nvm...

I forgot the bye week. Titans were our 8th game 

Edited by DaBoys

Broaddus: "One of the big problems that Dak Prescott was having was throwing the ball in the middle of the field. His accuracy as far as (Wednesday) looked good. What we need to do is get to Oxnard and see it every day.

"This is where Jon Kitna comes in. Jon Kitna is an attention to detail guy. Jon Kitna is more about point the shoulder, point the foot (and) bend the knee. You can kind of tell that in his workings with Dak. If that what leads to accuracy, than good for Jon Kitna for what he's been able to do.

"The two-minute drill (during OTAs) was really good for him throwing the football. He had really good command and had nice control of the football. I think that's the most important thing with Dak."

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2019/05/30/ex-nfl-scout-talks-kellen-moores-early-impact-cowboys-offense

• Like 1

Broaddus: "Moore is trying to take advantage of the skill level of the offensive line. And a lot of it is the wide receivers as well. The tight formation stuff they get into. It's very similar if you like the Rams attack. If you like the way they stay in the same personnel group, 11 personnel and run a lot of different plays out of that without bringing guys on and off the field to attack people, then this is what you need to see.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2019/05/30/ex-nfl-scout-talks-kellen-moores-early-impact-cowboys-offense

Funny how all the talk is about Daks accuracy improving and taking advantage of the talent on our OL and WR positions.

hmmmmmm....

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

And I’m going to keep talking until he can complete a pass beyond 5 yards and not sack himself. His deficiencies as a QB amplified the lackluster play of the o-line.

I still can’t understand why you continue to claim that I don’t blame the o-line. I have, just as I blamed Linehan for his terrible play calling. But the onus is on Quincy to improve his accuracy and improve at the fundamentals of the position. It’s utterly absurd to expect that a player should require near perfect conditions and personnel in order to be successful. At some point, the guy has to contribute on his own. If we are to move past the divisional round of the playoffs, HE has to perform. No excuses. He has to be the one who places the team on his back and leads them to victory through HIS play.

I’m sick of people making excuses for him. When you sh!t the bed for 3 quarters of a game, you can’t praise a guy for playing well in the final 10 minutes of it. I don’t care if a defense struggles. I don’t care if the running game is lackluster. I don’t care if the o-line isn’t perfect. He is the leader of the team. If he can’t live up to that expectation, then he either needs to improve or be replaced. Pure and simple.

9 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

And I’m going to keep talking until he can complete a pass beyond 5 yards and not sack himself. His deficiencies as a QB amplified the lackluster play of the o-line.

I still can’t understand why you continue to claim that I don’t blame the o-line. I have, just as I blamed Linehan for his terrible play calling. But the onus is on Quincy to improve his accuracy and improve at the fundamentals of the position. It’s utterly absurd to expect that a player should require near perfect conditions and personnel in order to be successful. At some point, the guy has to contribute on his own. If we are to move past the divisional round of the playoffs, HE has to perform. No excuses. He has to be the one who places the team on his back and leads them to victory through HIS play.

I’m sick of people making excuses for him. When you sh!t the bed for 3 quarters of a game, you can’t praise a guy for playing well in the final 10 minutes of it. I don’t care if a defense struggles. I don’t care if the running game is lackluster. I don’t care if the o-line isn’t perfect. He is the leader of the team. If he can’t live up to that expectation, then he either needs to improve or be replaced. Pure and simple.

Until you recognize that our OL was one of the worst pass blocking OL in the league, I will keep tagging you.