News and Notes: Offseason Edition

Matts4313

1 hour ago, Danger said:

You got old man Witten for one year, and then what?

Blake Jarwin? LOL.

ASJ just isn't anything special. Not to mention he has off-field stuff apparently. Rather find another option.

5 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I saw that Collins gave up 46 pressures by himself. 

That seems terrible. 

Yeah he’s pretty much been a wash on 2016 Doug Free IMO

I think we leave our OTs- both of them- on islands in pass pro more often than the majority of teams, but I don’t know that for a fact. He certainly gets help at times.

9 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Yeah he’s pretty much been a wash on 2016 Doug Free IMO

I think we leave our OTs- both of them- on islands in pass pro more often than the majority of teams, but I don’t know that for a fact. He certainly gets help at times.

I disagree. He played really well in 2017. He did well against Mack and was better than Tyron in a lot of games. Most of us were pretty excited about him coming into last year. In 2018, he was probably the biggest victim of Paul Alexander's technique and scheme. He did better with Colombo's power scheme. Also he isn't on the practice field right now because he's recovering from surgery on his torn rotator cuff, which he played through last year. I know injuries are part of the game, but when healthy he has been better. He has the talent. Doug Free was named after the jock straps because he showed up(in a bad way) every game. Collins doesn't really show up like that. I don't recall Collins getting to many individual jock straps like Free did. Certainly not so many jock straps that we eventually name it after him. 

6 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I disagree. He played really well in 2017. He did well against Mack and was better than Tyron in a lot of games. Most of us were pretty excited about him coming into last year. In 2018, he was probably the biggest victim of Paul Alexander's technique and scheme. He did better with Colombo's power scheme. Also he isn't on the practice field right now because he's recovering from surgery on his torn rotator cuff, which he played through last year. I know injuries are part of the game, but when healthy he has been better. He has the talent. Doug Free was named after the jock straps because he showed up(in a bad way) every game. Collins doesn't really show up like that. I don't recall Collins getting to many individual jock straps like Free did. Certainly not so many jock straps that we eventually name it after him. 

At 46 pressures, Collins was the second worst RT in the NFL behind something called a "Sam Tevi", which I think is a rotating door. 

Jeremy Parnell gave up less sacks/pressures. 

Edited by Matts4313

12 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

At 46 pressures, Collins was the second worst RT in the NFL behind something called a "Sam Tevi", which I think is a rotating door. 

Jeremy Parnell gave up less sacks/pressures. 

atleast we never used a draft pick on him ;)

Edited by canadaluvsdallas

25 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

He still graded out as the 31st best offensive tackle in the league out of 64+ starters.

We could do worse.

Here is an interesting read on grading OL. It was written by former Cowboys LG, with snippets from Eric Winston and Willie Colon. 

https://www.si.com/2014/03/06/nfl-offensive-linemen-grades

The beauty is some bad team will sign him to a big fa contract and we will get a sweet comp pick.    Too bad though,   if they kept him at guard,  I think he could have been pro bowl caliber.

Free was the obvious weak link on a complete juggernaut of an offense. Collins might be marginally better, but if 9/11 starters outside of him were studs then he’d stick out a bit more.

I’m not saying trade him, he could definitely show out in a contract year. But we’re for sure not re-signing him.

I think he is a bit underrated. He will be 26 by the time the season starts, so he is still young. Only 25 now. Contract year with a new and hopefully improved offensive scheme could help him. 

But if he does do great we definitely won't sign him. He'll cost to much. If he does poorly we won't sign him either. 

He will start at RT this year and probably be a top 32 OT in the league by the end of it, but he'll be playing in new colors next season either way. The better he does the higher the comp pick

FRISCO, Texas – Since the Cowboys welcomed Kris Richard to their defensive staff at the start of 2018, his preferences have been clear. The founder and creator of the “Legion of Boom” in Seattle echoes through the way he formulates his defenses, even now, here in Dallas.

So when Jourdan Lewis jogs onto the field for practice in his 5-10 frame, he doesn’t exactly look like the rest of the guys in the group – on the outside, anyway.

“He’s really not limited, by any means,” Richard said, emphatically. “I’ve really said it throughout my history here. You take a player like Jourdan Lewis, and he’s an exception. I’ll consistently say it, because he is.”

That belief doesn’t stop there. The head coach acknowledges their prototype for a Dallas defensive unit, and again reiterates that Lewis is in the thick of every competition, even if he doesn’t fit an established mode.

“We have a profile for every position physically on our team. We’ve always had that,” Jason Garrett said. “There’s heights and weights and arm lengths and hand size that we have for every spot on our team. But you also want to recognize good football players. When we drafted Jourdan, we knew he was right on that Mendoza line of being 5-10 and change, but we also knew that he was a really good football player

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/richard-sees-no-limitations-in-lewis-game

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

I think he is a bit underrated. He will be 26 by the time the season starts, so he is still young. Only 25 now. Contract year with a new and hopefully improved offensive scheme could help him. 

But if he does do great we definitely won't sign him. He'll cost to much. If he does poorly we won't sign him either. 

He will start at RT this year and probably be a top 32 OT in the league by the end of it, but he'll be playing in new colors next season either way. The better he does the higher the comp pick

Even if he doesn't improve he's still an 8-figure/year type of player on the open market. I mean did you see what Ja'Wuan James got?

He may have gone undrafted, but that was a unique situation. AFAIK most teams had him graded as a first round player. Some may still project him as a Pro Bowl guard. Unless he suffers a serious injury I think he's a lock to get somewhere in the $10-11M/yr range from somebody just by holding serve.

Edited by matt79511