Make the call...  

14 members have voted

1. 1. (see above)

• When Brady declines
    • When Brady retires as QB
    • When Belichick retires as HC
    • When Kraft retires as owner
    • Other (describe)

Started the topic here because I wanted opinions from actual Patriots fans, not fans of rival teams or "experts" like Max Kellerman and his cliff. (The only real cliff was the one that guy's credibility plummeted from last year.)

For clarity, let's define "dynasty" not as a team that continues to win Super Bowls, but a team that is consistently good enough to reach them. What, in your opinion, would cause the Patriots to drop below that level?

2 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

It won't end...

If Brady plays 2 more years, he could retire and BB turns over the roster to McDaniels with a highly drafted rookie (we would trade up in this case) in 20 and lots of capspace.

If he plays 1 more year and BB retires as well, I wonder if NE would consider tanking for Lawrence. 

Or obviously Stidham is just the steal of the draft.

I think Tom will go before Bill. I believe Bill will want to try out some new things. One of our beat writers believes Bill wants to use a different style of QB (the Tebow thing tipped him off, as well as some other things I can't remember) for example. We can see a shift in roster building strategy - bigger receivers, athletic OLers, all-round running backs - we are going BIG. Typical Brady targets you'd think of are probably shifty, intelligent and can separate well. Look at our current stock;

1. N'Keal Harry: 6'2 - 228 pounds - 4.53 second 40 time
  2. Demaryius Thomas: 6'3 - 236 pounds - 4.38 second 40 time (signed as free agent)
  3. Maurice Harris: 6'3 - 201 pounds - 4.56 second 40 time (signed as free agent)
  4. Austin Seferian-Jenkins: - 6'6 - 258 pounds - 4.75 second 40 time (signed as free agent)
  5. Matt LaCosse: - 6'6 - 255 pounds - 4.64 second 40 time (signed as free agent but fringe)
  6. Jakobi Meyers: 6'2 - 202 pounds - 4.63 second 40 time (undrafted FA)
  7. Xavier Ubosi: 6'3 - 215 pounds - 4.58 second 40 time (undrafted FA)

So I do believe he is thinking of coaching/life after Brady.

I believe without Tom, but WITH an at-least competent QB -we are still a playoff team. BUT, I believe we aren't a superbowl winning team without Tom. Tom is still ace in the playoffs. There is no QB like him in the playoffs - the amount of 4th Q scoring drives in the playoffs is frankly hilarious. It makes other greats like Rodgers look like just another guy (just in terms of this).

When Bill goes - say 4 or 5 years after Tom - we become just another team. One season we'll get 11 wins, one season we'll get 6. Will be strange...but yeah....

When Bill goes.

• Like 1

I'm hoping they both retire together because if that doesn't happen, one of them has their legacy tarnished to some degree. 

If Brady retires and Bill still wins, then the Brady haters will say the Patriots' success was all because of Bill and that Brady was just a system quarterback.

If Brady retires and Bill never wins again, there will be people saying that Bill just lucked into having the GOAT at the most important position on the field.

If they both go together, the mystique remains and the debate can go on forever.  Fans of both of these icons of the game will all be right. 

• Like 3

On 10/05/2019 at 2:58 PM, Uncle Buck said:

I'm hoping they both retire together because if that doesn't happen, one of them has their legacy tarnished to some degree. 

If Brady retires and Bill still wins, then the Brady haters will say the Patriots' success was all because of Bill and that Brady was just a system quarterback.

If Brady retires and Bill never wins again, there will be people saying that Bill just lucked into having the GOAT at the most important position on the field.

If they both go together, the mystique remains and the debate can go on forever.  Fans of both of these icons of the game will all be right. 

That's true. 

I don’t think it will end, but rather level off. 

The Patriots will remain contenders for the long term; capturing a Championship here, a Super Bowl appearance there. We won’t have what we have now, but it won’t be what it was, either. They’ll probably be good for a title every 10-15 years or so. 

Just my gut feeling. 

1 hour ago, rfournier103 said:

I don’t think it will end, but rather level off. 

The Patriots will remain contenders for the long term; capturing a Championship here, a Super Bowl appearance there. We won’t have what we have now, but it won’t be what it was, either. They’ll probably be good for a title every 10-15 years or so. 

Just my gut feeling. 

I agree. I could see the Patriots trade up for a QB next year (unless they feel Stidham is special this year) and hand it over to McDaniels in a few years. I think after this stint he could make a very good HC. The most important thing is that our owner and his son therefore are committed to winning but also let the GM/HC do their thing and not tell them what to do, I find that very important to longterm success.

• Like 1

Everything ends the same way ..... with a whimper.

Brady will retire or, God forbid, hang on too long and be replaced by a QB who is good, but only 85% of what Brady is (That's like, everybody.).
I envision little kids in Boston praying, "God bless Mommy and Daddy and please let Tom Brady retire."

Belichick will fail to change at some point and the game will pass him by and he will still insist on his way.
"Rosebud, Rosebud, Rosebud." he'll say.  "We should have drafted Rosebud!"

The Dolphins, the Bills and even the Jets will make some savvy picks in the draft and the division will turn upside down.
The Patriots will look up ..... and whimper.
This is the way things end.

Back to the percocets.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 1:00 PM, Hunter2_1 said:

One of our beat writers believes Bill wants to use a different style of QB (the Tebow thing tipped him off, as well as some other things I can't remembe

This is the part you have to leave out.  Our beat writer don't know crap when it comes to BB. They are idiots and mostly make crap up.  We on this board know as much as they do. 

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

This is the part you have to leave out.  Our beat writer don't know crap when it comes to BB. They are idiots and mostly make crap up.  We on this board know as much as they do. 

I tend to think Volin knows less than this board.