Sign in to follow this  
TheKillerNacho

Patriots to sign OT Jared Veldheer

Good depth signing IMO. Dirt cheap (I'm assuming) vets are always a safe bet this time of year.

I thought it was going to be Donald Penn, but I am more than happy with Jared as the 9th olineman.  Allen Bailey is next up

Should be interesting to see if Scarnecchia could get him into rare form. They already found a future gem in Yodny Cajuste, so Veldheer should be able to bridge a gap for Yodny to get acclimated.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Should be interesting to see if Scarnecchia could get him into rare form. They already found a future gem in Yodny Cajuste, so Veldheer should be able to bridge a gap for Yodny to get acclimated.

Exactly right. It appears as though Jared Veldheer will compete for and win the starting left tackle spot while Cajuste develops and Isaiah Wynn recovers. I think Wynn will more than likely become the future right tackle beside Shaq Mason after Marcus Cannon either is moved or retired following the 2019 season. Cajuste, as ET80 said, will become the next left tackle. The Pats will be set from left to right with this lineup hopefully going into 2020: Cajuste-Froholdt-Andrews-Mason-Wynn 😎

2 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Exactly right. It appears as though Jared Veldheer will compete for and win the starting left tackle spot while Cajuste develops and Isaiah Wynn recovers. I think Wynn will more than likely become the future right tackle beside Shaq Mason after Marcus Cannon either is moved or retired following the 2019 season. Cajuste, as ET80 said, will become the next left tackle. The Pats will be set from left to right with this lineup hopefully going into 2020: Cajuste-Froholdt-Andrews-Mason-Wynn 😎

While I don't share the thoughts, I think Veldheer is a better Waddle and a quality backup.

9 hours ago, ET80 said:

Veldheer was awful last year.  Injuries really have taken their toll.  He was a statue.  Or immovable mountain.

But Scarnecchia is the irresistible force.   If anyone can get another year of ok-decent play from a vet who looks done it’s him.  This will be quite a test though.  Still at 3.5M it’s no major risk and they’ve captured lightning in a bottle before.  This is a pretty steep test though lol. 

If he remains healthy and can still move - Scar will turn him into an above average tackle. That's what he does. 

It's a bridge for Wynn or Yod, for sure.

8 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Veldheer was awful last year.  Injuries really have taken their toll.  He was a statue.  Or immovable mountain.

But Scarnecchia is the irresistible force.   If anyone can get another year of ok-decent play from a vet who looks done it’s him.  This will be quite a test though.  Still at 3.5M it’s no major risk and they’ve captured lightning in a bottle before.  This is a pretty steep test though lol. 

Veldheer gave up the same amount of pressures per pass rush snap as Trent Brown. Of course I didn't think Trent Brown was good but he was solid and I expect the same from Veldheer if called up. But he probably projects as the backup RT

54 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

Veldheer gave up the same amount of pressures per pass rush snap as Trent Brown. Of course I didn't think Trent Brown was good but he was solid and I expect the same from Veldheer if called up. But he probably projects as the backup RT

I will never underestimate Scarnecchia’s ability to max a guy out.  It’s just that Veldheer’s problem is health leading to skills decline.  With Brown it seemed like fitness / technique.   The latter seems more fixable.

But again I’ll never discount NE signing any OL while Scarnecchia is there.   

I will never worry about the offensive line with Dante Scarrnechia.

If Cajuste and Wynn are healthy he might not  even make the roster,  and they stay with developing Croston and save 2 mill. 

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I will never underestimate Scarnecchia’s ability to max a guy out.  It’s just that Veldheer’s problem is health leading to skills decline.  With Brown it seemed like fitness / technique.   The latter seems more fixable.

But again I’ll never discount NE signing any OL while Scarnecchia is there.   

Tbf - if there is something that even Scar can't coach-out, it's injury. It's a genuine concern.